Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage Roof Advice

I need to replace a very leaky old garage roof, which is currently in corrugated asbestos sheets (I think they're asbestos anyway). I'm aware of the disposal process for old asbestos roof and I have details of the local council disposal process for asbestos - I'm ok with all that.

My question is what's the best replacement for the roof.

It's a flat sloping roof with a single gutter across the back end of the garage - It's a prefab garage. (not a pitch roof).

I thought I'd just look online for some galvanised corrugated metal sheets, around the same dimensions at the old asbestos, but I find there are many products out there, including corrugated bitumen sheets.

Can anyone offer some advice on a good option here.

My main criteria are, easy to install, good-value, long lasting in terms of no discolouring, if they happen to be dark great for example. Is there anything that you'd definitely avoid ?

Any tips welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 11:27, cf-leeds wrote:
[...]

We had a double garage roof recovered with edpm which is black. It is on
top of boards much of which was there before. Another approach is to
use glass fibre.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 11:42, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2021 03:27:37 -0700 (PDT), cf-leeds
wrote:

[...]

Onduline?
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Onduline-Bl...x-3mm/p/240039
or https://tinyurl.com/yzsxa947

Seconded. I vaguely remember that there's different grades available for
some similar products.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

wrote:

[...]

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Onduline-Bl...rrugated-Roof-

Sheet---950mm-x-2000mm-x-3mm/p/240039
or https://tinyurl.com/yzsxa947

Seconded. I vaguely remember that there's different grades available for
some similar products.

Onduline is the heavier being c3mm; Coroline is 26.mm 'other brands' such
as may be found on the link are thinner and more flexible. I did the shed
roof last autumn using Onduline from (ISTR) Roofing Superstore as the
best value for me. Use the proper fixings for it whichever brand you go
for. A (limited) range of colours and pitch sizes also can be found in
Onduline

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The problem with Onduline or Wickes own brand corrugated bitumen is that
it is only rated for 10 years life, especially if the slope is shallow
or the purlin spacing large. I need to replace my shed's roof this year,
admittedly that lasted 25 years, but we rent a stables where it has
failed badly at 10 years. Basically, it sags and then tears. It will
certainly last longer if you board underneath it with sterling board. I
have not quite decided whether to do that with mine, or whether to
convert to plastic coated steel, or perhaps to corrugated fibreglass
(which is a bit more expensive).

It gets slightly lighter in colour over time, not enough to matter IMHO.

Metal sheet comes in a range of thicknesses and geometries. The thinnest
(eBay) lasts pretty well, it is light and pretty easy to cut and fix. If
in a windy area you need to make sure the edges are well fixed down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cf-leeds laid this down on his screen :
I thought I'd just look online for some galvanised corrugated metal sheets,
around the same dimensions at the old asbestos, but I find there are many
products out there, including corrugated bitumen sheets.

Can anyone offer some advice on a good option here.

The modern equivalent of the corrugated galvanised metal, is a squared
box section, galvanised and painted in various colours. It comes in two
thicknesses, get the thicker one - less chance of it denting. Also get
the special self sealing bolts/screws for it.

You can get plain or ready insulated underside.

A very easy DIY job, with probably no need to cut the sheets. If you do
need to, the maker suggests cutting with a scissor like implement,
which will seal the cut edge with galv..

I did both my garage and workshop roofs with it, 10 years ago - no
complaints here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is not that very flammable for a garage?
However definitely avoid plastic. It goes brittle in just a few years, at
least all the stuff I had on my roof did, but now the garage is gorn and a
nice flattish bit of concrete remains. grin.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I did mine in box profile sheeting - like they make the walls of BQ and other sheds from.

Comes in various colours and it's produced in whatever lengths you ask for
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 15:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I agree, excellent stuff and quick to fit. I did the roof and walls of a
blockwork shed last year, put 50mm celotex "seconds" under the wall
panels and between the rafters, then plasterboard'ed. It's now a very
snug shed! A couple of years before I replaced part of the asbestos wall
panels on a much larger shed and hope to finish it this year, but the
timber battens are rotten so it's a larger job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

imo metal decking works much better. Happy with a very low slope
and since the clips are attached to the rafters first, well retained after
you button punch the decking onto the retaining clips. Lasts much
longer than anything else except stuff like copper or zinc sheet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 21:47, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message

Metal sheet comes in a range of thicknesses and geometries. The
thinnest (eBay) lasts pretty well, it is light and pretty easy to cut
and fix. If in a windy area you need to make sure the edges are well
fixed down.

imo metal decking works much better. Happy with a very low slope
and since the clips are attached to the rafters first, well retained after
you button punch the decking onto the retaining clips. Lasts much
longer than anything else except stuff like copper or zinc sheet.

Not sure how the proper farming/industrial stuff over here is fixed
down. The cheap stuff that I have used is just screwed through the high
spots with a sort of domed plastic cap over the screws. I agree, it
doesn't need much slope for water but of course here we also need to
cater for snow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2021 06:47:47 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message

Metal sheet comes in a range of thicknesses and geometries. The thinnest
(eBay) lasts pretty well, it is light and pretty easy to cut and fix. If
in a windy area you need to make sure the edges are well fixed down.

imo metal decking works much better. Happy with a very low slope
and since the clips are attached to the rafters first, well retained
after
you button punch the decking onto the retaining clips. Lasts much
longer than anything else except stuff like copper or zinc sheet.

Not sure how the proper farming/industrial stuff over here is fixed down.

You screw the retaining clips onto the rafters. The decking snaps
onto the retaining clips and then you button punch the narrow
vertical upstanding part of the decking with a thing that looks
like a big metal cutter.
http://www.steel.com.au/products/coa...deckform-steel

The cheap stuff that I have used is just screwed through the high spots
with a sort of domed plastic cap over the screws.

The other approach works better because you can see the rafters
when adding the clips and is easier to get the strip of decking off
if you need access to the electrical wiring or plumbing underneath.

I agree, it doesn't need much slope for water but of course here we also
need to cater for snow.

Sure, but with a replacement roof thats already been
ignored and metal decking is much stronger than the
alternative so will be fine with snow on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Tue, 11 May 2021 07:56:25 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

Onduline?
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Onduline-Bl...x-3mm/p/240039

What's on sale in Wickes isn't Onduline (or wasn't a few years back)
it's Coroline, which is a bit thinner, surprised they haven't been
pulled-up for it (or maybe they have actually changed what they sell?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2021 08:49:33 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

Onduline?
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Onduline-Bl...x-3mm/p/240039

What's on sale in Wickes isn't Onduline (or wasn't a few years back)
it's Coroline, which is a bit thinner, surprised they haven't been
pulled-up for it (or maybe they have actually changed what they sell?)

I bought all the makings for my second shed from Wickes about 12 years ago
It was dfinitely Onduline then. I did quite a bit of research to avoid the
thinner one. I see that Wickes is selling Onduline at 3mm - that's correct;
what it actually is...
A few years ago ISTR that it was branded as Wickes and thinner than that
which I bought.
Next door's shed was re-roofed in a corrugated sheet that looked remarkably
like asbestos cement. The roofer (lives about 150 yds up the road) said that
it should last for about 50 yeras.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2021 11:27, cf-leeds wrote:
It's a flat sloping roof with a single gutter across the back end of the garage - It's a prefab garage. (not a pitch roof).

I thought I'd just look online for some galvanised corrugated metal sheets, around the same dimensions at the old asbestos, but I find there are many products out there, including corrugated bitumen sheets.

I'm doing a similar thing. I think I'm going to use 3" corrugated
galvanised rather than plastic coated, on 11mm Sterling board. I don't
want bitumen or felt, might use EDPM but prefer corrugated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 5:20:10 PM UTC+1, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 10/05/2021 11:27, cf-leeds wrote:
It's a flat sloping roof with a single gutter across the back end of the garage - It's a prefab garage. (not a pitch roof).

I thought I'd just look online for some galvanised corrugated metal sheets, around the same dimensions at the old asbestos, but I find there are many products out there, including corrugated bitumen sheets.

I'm doing a similar thing. I think I'm going to use 3" corrugated
galvanised rather than plastic coated, on 11mm Sterling board. I don't
want bitumen or felt, might use EDPM but prefer corrugated.

I've built two sheds over the last 30 years and both were roofed in galvanised corrugated steel. It was the cheapest I could find and has lasted so far with no sign of degradation. Its what farm buildings traditionally used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2021 13:36, fred wrote:
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 5:20:10 PM UTC+1, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 10/05/2021 11:27, cf-leeds wrote:
It's a flat sloping roof with a single gutter across the back end of the garage - It's a prefab garage. (not a pitch roof).

I thought I'd just look online for some galvanised corrugated metal sheets, around the same dimensions at the old asbestos, but I find there are many products out there, including corrugated bitumen sheets.

I'm doing a similar thing. I think I'm going to use 3" corrugated
galvanised rather than plastic coated, on 11mm Sterling board. I don't
want bitumen or felt, might use EDPM but prefer corrugated.

I've built two sheds over the last 30 years and both were roofed in galvanised corrugated steel. It was the cheapest I could find and has lasted so far with no sign of degradation. Its what farm buildings traditionally used.

It does look a bit agricultural in a domestic setting though (whereas
even cement-asbestos weathers in and more or less goes with brick and
tiles).