Snowman

Default Fixing to hollow-block internal walls

The internal walls in my 1960s house are all built of red coloured, hollow
blocks which are very hard. I always have to faff about when fixing to
them - sometimes you drill into a solid bit, other times a hollow bit, so
you end up messing about with different fixings. Sinking back boxes for
sockets are a nightmare - it's not deep enough if you don't cut into the
block, but if you do, the hollow bits are too deep, then there's hoizontal
solid bits to cut out.

I don't know the name for these blocks, but does anyone have any advice on
how to work with them?

Peter.

Steve

"Snowman" wrote in message
The internal walls in my 1960s house are all built of red coloured, hollow
blocks which are very hard. I always have to faff about when fixing to
them - sometimes you drill into a solid bit, other times a hollow bit, so
you end up messing about with different fixings. Sinking back boxes for
sockets are a nightmare - it's not deep enough if you don't cut into the
block, but if you do, the hollow bits are too deep, then there's hoizontal
solid bits to cut out.

I don't know the name for these blocks, but does anyone have any advice on
how to work with them?

Peter.

Fixing wise had you thought of using cavity wall fitting?

Steve

Snowman

"Steve" wrote in message

"Snowman" wrote in message
The internal walls in my 1960s house are all built of red coloured,
hollow
blocks which are very hard. I always have to faff about when fixing to
them - sometimes you drill into a solid bit, other times a hollow bit, so
you end up messing about with different fixings. Sinking back boxes for
sockets are a nightmare - it's not deep enough if you don't cut into the
block, but if you do, the hollow bits are too deep, then there's
hoizontal
solid bits to cut out.

I don't know the name for these blocks, but does anyone have any advice
on
how to work with them?

Peter.

Fixing wise had you thought of using cavity wall fitting?

Steve

I have tried some of those, but it's still a fiddle. The thickness of the
plaster and the outer part of the blocks make it just a bit deep for a lot
of the cavity fixings I've found, then you can end up just on the edge of a
solid bit. Putting up things such as kitchen units needs something pretty
strong.

Peter.

Steve

"Snowman" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message

"Snowman" wrote in message
[...]

I was thinking of the spring toggle type
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=44152
or snap toggle

M6 bolts should handle quite a bit of load

Another thought might be to use masonry screws or those multi monti things
that don't need wallplugs

Steve