Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Kettles

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use. The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element
was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so
I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2Kw and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 May 2021 23:28:04 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use. The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element
was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so
I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2Kw and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Do you mean the cordless "kettle-shaped" model with a very heavy base
with the elements built in? I have one of those and the kettle itself
hasn't caused any problems but the plastic base with the mains
connector has gradually sunken under the weight and heat so that,
several years later the contacts no longer make -erme- contact. I like
the kettle - and it wasn't cheap! - so I have a little project on to
mould the base back into shape and reinforce it with more plastic
inside. A lot of fuss over an old kettle? That's what retirement is
for isn't it? Now.. ... where did I put my set of spool clamps?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare pretended :

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

I bought a cheapy entire glass one, with a flat internal base on ebay,
it lasted a week before element packed in and replaced it with a
similar styled glass one from Lidl - one of the well known names
(Swan/MR ?). Likely a three year guarantee. That has been absolutely
fine so far.

Modern kettles are so cheap these days, they are just not worth
repairing, so why make the elements replaceable? If it breaks in
guarantee, get them to replace it, if outside just buy new. Getting the
replacement part would cost almost as much then there is the fitting
cost of your time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of 3-4
years use. The heating element is under the water container and does not
appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element was in the
water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so I
thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be repaired. I
was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a slightly lower power
rating, 2.2Kw and a much higher minimum water level. I wonder how well it
will last

12 pounds!

you woz done

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/305877709

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

does it really matter when replacements are so cheap?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 08:13, tim... wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of 3-4
years use. The heating element is under the water container and does not
appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element was in the
water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so I
thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be repaired. I
was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a slightly lower power
rating, 2.2Kw and a much higher minimum water level. I wonder how well it
will last

12 pounds!

you woz done

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/305877709

Looks like it's got one of those hinged lids - the type which break off
366 days after purchase. I've given up buying kettles with hinged lids,
especially those which are spring-operated by a button on the handle. I
prefer those with "old-fashioned" completely removable lids. No hinge,
no button, no spring - mechanically robust, in other words.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 23:28, Michael Chare wrote:
The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use.Â* The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element
was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so
I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2KwÂ* and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Not specifically related, but the main problem we have with electric
kettles is the push down switch at the bottom, under the handle.
They break off after a while, usually between 3 and 18 month.

I doesn't matter how much we paid for them as they all suffered the same
breakage.
Last year I bought one of those Hadeeon kettles which had the switch at
the top, which was just a push in type, but the failed after a short
while dues to some other problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 May 2021 08:56:10 +0100, RobH wrote:

Not specifically related, but the main problem we have with electric
kettles is the push down switch at the bottom, under the handle.
They break off after a while, usually between 3 and 18 month.

I doesn't matter how much we paid for them as they all suffered the same
breakage.
Last year I bought one of those Hadeeon kettles which had the switch at
the top, which was just a push in type, but the failed after a short
while dues to some other problem.

We have a Bosch kettle. Push buttons are in the separate base.

Occasionally the contacts give trouble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 23:28, Michael Chare wrote:

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Yes, I have a collection of kettles at work that we've mothballed for
one reason or another.
Keep meaning to chuck em but you know how it is....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 May 2021 at 23:28:04 BST, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use. The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element
was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so
I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2Kw and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Yes, whether cheap or expensive models the elements tend to fail after one to
three years. I suspect people boiling less than the minimum quantity of water
is the main cause, but I am generally too circumspect to say so too often! A
useful side effect is that the RCD gets tested at least that often.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was quite concerned about this move toward legislation to make things
repairable. Higher costs and bulkier items will be to result - as well as
incompetent people causing accidents. A spot weld is probably better than a
screw and is more compact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 10:09, Roger Hayter wrote:
Yes, whether cheap or expensive models the elements tend to fail after one to
three years. I suspect people boiling less than the minimum quantity of water
is the main cause, but I am generally too circumspect to say so too often! A
useful side effect is that the RCD gets tested at least that often.

I have had this kettle 5 years. the previous ones lasted 14. The switch
has not broken, the lid has not broken and the base as not melted nor
the element gone.

Perhaps you should treat your kettles better, or buy a better one to
start with?

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Bosch going strong here after 8+ years use by pensioner household (so
typically a dozen times a day).

There was some force in the EU ECO-bods plans to mandate concealed
elements. (But rather odd politics for them to make so much of it only
being black tea drinkers who generally need boiling.)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably all made in the same factory in China. Have you noticed how all
toasters seem to share the same, not quite big enough, elements?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 08:13, tim... wrote:
"Michael Chare" wrote in message

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use.Â* The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the
element was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed,
so I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2KwÂ* and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

12 pounds!

you woz done

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/305877709

It's worth paying twice the price for one with a circular base so you
can put the kettle down any way round.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 08:56, RobH wrote:
On 06/05/2021 23:28, Michael Chare wrote:

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use.Â* The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the
element was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed,
so I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2KwÂ* and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Not specifically related, but the main problem we have with electric
kettles is the push down switch at the bottom, under the handle.
They break off after a while, usually between 3 and 18 month.

Mine - £12 from Wilko - broke after seven years so I fixed it with
Araldite. It mostly works as it should, but you can't reset the switch
until it is completely cold.

I doesn't matter how much we paid for them as they all suffered the same
breakage.

I see that the new ones from Wilko mostly appear to have metal switch
levers - unless they are metallised plastic.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 23:28, Michael Chare wrote:

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use.Â* The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element
was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so
I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2KwÂ* and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Russell Hobbs should be ashamed of themselves. (Perhaps the name has
been sold to the Chinese.) I bought one of the original Forgettles in
1978 and the element never needed replacing and the cutout never failed.
I only got rid of it in 2013 as it leaked slightly from the bottom.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 May 2021 at 11:41:56 BST, "The Natural Philosopher"
wrote:

On 07/05/2021 10:09, Roger Hayter wrote:
Yes, whether cheap or expensive models the elements tend to fail after one
three years. I suspect people boiling less than the minimum quantity of
water
is the main cause, but I am generally too circumspect to say so too often!
useful side effect is that the RCD gets tested at least that often.

I have had this kettle 5 years. the previous ones lasted 14. The switch
has not broken, the lid has not broken and the base as not melted nor
the element gone.

Perhaps you should treat your kettles better, or buy a better one to
start with?

I find it difficult to correct other members of the household on their kettle
technique without creating resentment. I suppose I could demand they report
to me for a water adequacy check before every use ...

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 07/05/2021 08:13, tim... wrote:

[...]

wouldn't know

I fill it up through the pouring hole

empty it through the pouring hole

simples

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 13:20, Max Demian wrote:
Â*I only got rid of it in 2013 as it leaked slightly from the bottom.

All of us will eventually.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 10:09, Roger Hayter wrote:
Yes, whether cheap or expensive models the elements tend to fail after
one to
three years.Â* I suspect people boiling less than the minimum quantity
of water
is the main cause, but I am generally too circumspect to say so too
often!Â* A
useful side effect is that the RCD gets tested at least that often.

I have had this kettle 5 years. the previous ones lasted 14. The switch
has not broken, the lid has not broken and the base as not melted nor
the element gone.

Perhaps you should treat your kettles better, or buy a better one to
start with?

Ok, what make and model is it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:

I was quite concerned about this move toward legislation to make things
repairable. Higher costs and bulkier items will be to result - as well as
incompetent people causing accidents. A spot weld is probably better than a
screw and is more compact.

Quite. No one in the meja seems to realise that making a device which can
be dismantled for repair easily is going to make it more expensive to
make. Perhaps not a problem with a washing machine, but would be for low
cost items like kettles and toasters.

And reading that meja, you'd think early TVs rarely broke down - and if
they did were cheap and simple to fix.

--
*WHY IS THERE AN EXPIRATION DATE ON SOUR CREAM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Mine has not suffered that way, and I am pretty sure it was a relatively
cheap one.

That element design seems pretty robust to me. When I first saw them I
thought the contacts looked a little undersized, but they seem to last
very well indeed.

I have another one that I bought for a project I never completed, so I
have all the bits (somewhere).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 May 2021 13:06:17 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 07/05/2021 08:13, tim... wrote:
"Michael Chare" wrote in message

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use.Â* The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the
element was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed,
so I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2KwÂ* and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

12 pounds!

you woz done

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/305877709

It's worth paying twice the price for one with a circular base so you
can put the kettle down any way round.

The trouble is that SWMBO and I put it down opposite ways!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

(Mode=teaching granny to suck eggs)
The best tip I know of to preserve long life in a cordless kettle is
always to make sure it is switched off before removing it from the
base. It's pretty common to find that the switch contacts are plated
to resist pitting from arcing but the base contacts are not - with the
inevitable consequences.
(Mode/)

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:

I was quite concerned about this move toward legislation to make
things repairable. Higher costs and bulkier items will be to result -
as well as incompetent people causing accidents. A spot weld is
probably better than a screw and is more compact.

Quite. No one in the meja seems to realise that making a device which
can be dismantled for repair easily is going to make it more expensive
to make. Perhaps not a problem with a washing machine, but would be
for low cost items like kettles and toasters.

And reading that meja, you'd think early TVs rarely broke down - and
if they did were cheap and simple to fix.

And often the fault was a poor connection - which could have been avoided
by minimising them.
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yeah but, Ive never had one fail due to arcing. Its always seems to be
the element that dies first these days.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote

Probably all made in the same factory in China.

China doesn’t work like that.

Have you noticed how all toasters seem to share
the same, not quite big enough, elements?

None of mine do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 18:43, Tim+ wrote:

(Mode=teaching granny to suck eggs)
The best tip I know of to preserve long life in a cordless kettle is
always to make sure it is switched off before removing it from the
base. It's pretty common to find that the switch contacts are plated
to resist pitting from arcing but the base contacts are not - with the
inevitable consequences.
(Mode/)

Yeah but, Ive never had one fail due to arcing. Its always seems to be
the element that dies first these days.

Tim

I've never had one fail, full stop. I think I had to fettle a switch
once to keep it latching.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Carver wrote
Max Demian wrote

I only got rid of it in 2013 as it leaked slightly from the bottom.

All of us will eventually.

Nope, not those with enough of a clue to pull the plug before we do that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08:13 7 May 2021, tim... said:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent
of 3-4 years use. The heating element is under the water container
and does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the
element was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has
failed, so I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably
can't be repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco.
It has a slightly lower power rating, 2.2Kw and a much higher
minimum water level. I wonder how well it will last

12 pounds!

you woz done

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/305877709

Once upon a time an electric kettle was quite an expensive purchase for a
student. I think my kettle at university cost something like £35, back in
the 70s.

I bought my current kettle for the price of a few Starbucks and it does
all I could ask for and even has some fancy features.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 May 2021 05:34:56 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sat, 8 May 2021 06:02:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I only got rid of it in 2013 as it leaked slightly from the bottom.

All of us will eventually.

Nope, not those with enough of a clue to pull the plug before we do that.

Bigmouthed Usenet troll! LOL Swallow your Nembutal finally that you bragged
about of owning, you bigmouthed COWARD!

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 21:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Mark Carver wrote
Max Demian wrote

Â*I only got rid of it in 2013 as it leaked slightly from the bottom.

All of us will eventually.

Nope, not those with enough of a clue to pull the plug before we do that.

Would that be your butt-plug?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 07/05/2021 21:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Mark Carver wrote
Max Demian wrote

I only got rid of it in 2013 as it leaked slightly from the bottom.

All of us will eventually.

Nope, not those with enough of a clue to pull the plug before we do that.

Would that be your butt-plug?

You are the one with a butt plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2021 01:22, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 07/05/2021 21:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Mark Carver wrote
Max Demian wrote

Â*I only got rid of it in 2013 as it leaked slightly from the bottom.

All of us will eventually.

Nope, not those with enough of a clue to pull the plug before we do
that.

Would that be your butt-plug?

You are the one with a butt plug.

I'm not the one with a leaking bottom :-)

Is that really the best you can do? Is a snotty childlike reply all you
can manage?

From someone else I would expect a far more colourful retort.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Fredxx spewed just the
puerile **** and lies it always ends up with when
its got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I never have any arcing. The on off button on
the base of the kettle eliminates any arcing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 08:13, tim... wrote:

[...]

Sure, if you've got all day because the filter slows things down. But
then again, maybe it would push all the fur off the filter with the
reverse flow.

Or maybe I should just clean the filter now and again. ;-)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The TWO Resident Senile Assholes at Loggerheads, again! ROTFLOL

On Sat, 8 May 2021 12:15:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

****ing stupid senile assholes that have taken over Usenet! LOL

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I bought an earlier Russell Hobs kettle for use at another location. It
failed after about a year so out or warranty. I had to pay them a
further £18 for a replacement which to be fair has lasted quite a number
of years. Certainly the kettle that failed was made in China.

--
Michael Chare