Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble Dryer Repair

On 06/05/2021 18:35, GB wrote:
Our 23 year old tumble dryer (!) stopped heating the air, although the
rest of it worked.

So, I dismantled it, couldn't find what was wrong, cleaned it, and put
it back together. About 6 hours altogether. It now works perfectly.

Please, please reassure me that disconnecting it from the electricity
would not have reset it without all the dismantling?

Miele T430, by the way.

It is overwhelmingly likely that you cleared the fault by random
physical manipulation of the beast. Brawn over Brain. As for whether
it is a permanent fix . . . !

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Our 23 year old tumble dryer (!) stopped heating the air, although the
rest of it worked.

So, I dismantled it, couldn't find what was wrong, cleaned it, and put
it back together. About 6 hours altogether. It now works perfectly.

Please, please reassure me that disconnecting it from the electricity
would not have reset it without all the dismantling?

Miele T430, by the way.

It doesn't have a safety temperature cut-out does it? They often take
quite a while to reset themselves. I suppose the cut-out *might*
reset when you disconnect the power.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 7:03:06 PM UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
GB wrote:
Our 23 year old tumble dryer (!) stopped heating the air, although the
rest of it worked.

So, I dismantled it, couldn't find what was wrong, cleaned it, and put
it back together. About 6 hours altogether. It now works perfectly.

Please, please reassure me that disconnecting it from the electricity
would not have reset it without all the dismantling?

Miele T430, by the way.

It doesn't have a safety temperature cut-out does it? They often take
quite a while to reset themselves. I suppose the cut-out *might*
reset when you disconnect the power.

--
Chris Green
·

the clean might have done enough
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 May 2021 18:35:48 +0100, GB
wrote:

Our 23 year old tumble dryer

Well done for keeping it that long. Many would have thrown it away
just because it was 'old'. ;-(

(!) stopped heating the air, although the
rest of it worked.

So, I dismantled it, couldn't find what was wrong, cleaned it, and put
it back together.

It's nice when it's all back and clean isn't it? When I finally
stripped ours just recently I found quite a level of fluff furring on
the insides of some of the ducts that you wouldn't normally be able to
get to *unless* you were really taking it completely to bits (things
that were held on / together / sealed with double sided tape etc).

About 6 hours altogether. It now works perfectly.

Result. ;-)

Please, please reassure me that disconnecting it from the electricity
would not have reset it without all the dismantling?

Erm ... no, *bound* to have been a bad connection on the heater
somewhere. ;-)

I think we have all done that sort of thing and at least yours is
still working. It's worse when you find nothing, break something
*then* find the original cause was something trivial. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I agree that this is the most likely explanation, the alternative is
that it was so furred up that the overheating trip was operating all the
time.

Either way, the full strip is the way to go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes could have just been a connection a bit corroded, but normally when that
happens the heat melts the block or seizes up the screw.
I think I'd have waited a day before I dismantled it but if it is
overheating it will happen again unless you found the blockage and removed
the lint and general crud inside it..

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please