Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finger twitching nervousness

Pancho wrote:
On 29/04/2021 09:28, SH wrote:
On 29/04/2021 09:03, Pancho wrote:
On 29/04/2021 08:46, SH wrote:
I've historically used VirtualBox. the Windows Sandbox doesn't
provide access to USB devices so that's a no-no for me.

Is Hyper V a good alternative to VirtualBox?

I've never used virtualbox so can't comment on it.

Virtual Box is good, the main difference for me was that you couldn't
start Virtual Box VMs automatically when the PC booted (well not
easily). Where as with Hyper-V you could.

Nowadays I mainly use WSL2 and docker, but that doesn't have a gui
interface so no good for testing the Linux desktop.

Pssst... There is WSLg available for beta testers and and Windows
Preview subscribers...... so you can run Linux GUI applications

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/comma...m-for-linux-2/

Interesting, but I'm not that fussed really. I like WSL2, it gets around
the previous fuss of running Hyper-V or VisualBox, I just don't have to
think about it. It's just kind of there when I want it.

I'm not really bothered about a Linux GUI at the moment, I can work on
Win10 and develop for Linux without needing a Linux Gui.

I ran it here. A Linux window on Windows 10, resizes via the
lower-right corner. The resize of a window is a bit janky and
is not smooth. Here, I'm running Firefox for Linux as seen
in Ubuntu 20.04 WSLg. When a Linux graphical program is running,
the icon in the Task Bar contains a tiny penguin overlaid
on the icon. The OS used, is an Insider version.

https://i.postimg.cc/wjp4mgHH/linux-...ing-on-W10.gif

This is barely a novelty item.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2021 08:46, SH wrote:
I've historically used VirtualBox. the Windows Sandbox doesn't provide
access to USB devices so that's a no-no for me.

Is Hyper V a good alternative to VirtualBox?

I've never used virtualbox so can't comment on it.

Hyper-v is bundled with Windows 10.

although not the "home" version...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2021 12:51, Paul wrote:

who are running Windows 10. Now would a gamer be using
Windows 10 in the first place ? That, I don't know.

A substantial number must be using 10 by now I would expect...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2021 14:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/04/2021 08:46, SH wrote:
I've historically used VirtualBox. the Windows Sandbox doesn't
provide access to USB devices so that's a no-no for me.

Is Hyper V a good alternative to VirtualBox?

I've never used virtualbox so can't comment on it.

Hyper-v is bundled with Windows 10.

although not the "home" version...

Actually it is possible to install Hyper-v on Windows 10 home...... :-)

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-t...indows-10-home

https://www.itechtics.com/enable-hyp...ndows-10-home/

https://technoresult.com/how-to-enab...home-editions/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2021 08:46, SH wrote:
I've historically used VirtualBox. the Windows Sandbox doesn't
provide access to USB devices so that's a no-no for me.

Is Hyper V a good alternative to VirtualBox?

I've never used virtualbox so can't comment on it.

Hyper-v is bundled with Windows 10.

although not the "home" version...

Actually it is possible to install Hyper-v on Windows 10 home...... :-)

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-t...indows-10-home

https://www.itechtics.com/enable-hyp...ndows-10-home/

https://technoresult.com/how-to-enab...home-editions/

Yeah, I know I posted some of those links last time this was mentioned. :-)

I was just highlighting that if you follow the official guides they
won't work "out of the box" for Win 10 home...

--
Cheers,

John.