Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Bloody customers

Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it on.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 19:34:31 +0100, ARW
wrote:

Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it on.

I assume you told her all the sockets would need to be changed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/04/2021 19:42, Richard wrote:
On 26/04/2021 19:34, ARW wrote:
Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

Customer or house?

Have a look at an early (full of ads sorry fella) early 60's installation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...on-bikini.html

Now when conducing an EICR you have to consider the safety and condition
of the installation and give a date when it next needs inspecting.

The Welsh bra is only a C3.

The condition of the the contents of the bra is a FI.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it on.

Moral?: always get your customers to demonstrate the fault before you
start to fix it.

Like the ones that got a tingling feeling when they put their arms in
the fish pond and said the deeper their arms were in the water the
bigger the tingling sensation?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So what on earth, pun intended is the problem to make such sparks. Any
normal person would get the power cord and plug changed I'd have thought.
I had a knock off Dell psu whose low voltage lead went this way due to over
zealous use of plastic welding into the plug.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does that
to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it on.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 19:34, ARW wrote:

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

You need to change all the sockets!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 19:34, ARW wrote:
Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it on.

so you didn't charge her obviously ? ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it on.

Moral?: always get your customers to demonstrate the fault before you
start to fix it.

yes his fault ...so he won't have charged her.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it
on.

Moral?: always get your customers to demonstrate the fault before you
start to fix it.

yes his fault ...so he won't have charged her.....

That depends on the instructions. If the customer asked to replace the
socket then shouldn't it be replaced?

If given the opportunity I might have asked 'why'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Someone who doesn't draw a willy on his voting slip ?.

Andrew

On 26/04/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
Define a normal person?

On 26/04/2021 21:09, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
So what on earth, pun intended is the problem to make such sparks. Any
normal person would get the power cord and plug changed I'd have thought.
Â* I had a knock off Dell psu whose low voltage lead went this way due
to over
zealous use of plastic welding into the plug.
Â* Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 08:33, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 26/04/2021 19:34, ARW wrote:
Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it on.

so you didn't charge her obviously ? ...

Call-out fee, travelling, deep-cleaning, PPE, ... ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On 26/04/2021 19:34, ARW wrote:
Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

Customer or house?

Have a look at an early (full of ads sorry fella) early 60's
installation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-Vorderman-60-

puts-busty-display-TINY-Welsh-Dragon-bikini.html

Now when conducing an EICR you have to consider the safety and condition
of the installation and give a date when it next needs inspecting.

The Welsh bra is only a C3.

The condition of the the contents of the bra is a FI.

Didn't know she had a funny eye..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/04/2021 19:34, ARW wrote:
Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

Customer or house?

Have a look at an early (full of ads sorry fella) early 60's
installation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-Vorderman-60-

puts-busty-display-TINY-Welsh-Dragon-bikini.html

Now when conducing an EICR you have to consider the safety and condition
of the installation and give a date when it next needs inspecting.

The Welsh bra is only a C3.

The condition of the the contents of the bra is a FI.

Didn't know she had a funny eye..

Over your head.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it
on.

Moral?: always get your customers to demonstrate the fault before you
start to fix it.

yes his fault ...so he won't have charged her.....

That depends on the instructions. If the customer asked to replace the
socket then shouldn't it be replaced?

Nope, not if replacing the socket wont fix the problem.

If given the opportunity I might have asked 'why'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 05:17:15 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Nope

LOL!!! Pathological senile cretin!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Went to a job today where the customer said the landing socket made a
fizzing noise when it was used.

Late 60's early 70's build and probably the original socket.

So I just swapped it. The customer then said "I'll go and get the
hairdrier as that the only thing that makes it fizz. Mind you it does
that to all the sockets in the house"

FFS You could see the sparks on the hairdrier flex when she turned it on.

I assume you told her all the sockets would need to be changed.

:-)

To be fair I did an earth loop on the socket before I swapped it. There
was nothing to report as it was in expected values.

I was thinking along the lines of dirty worn live or neutral earth
connections on the sleeves of the socket.

Now I did find two sockets on an EICR a few weeks ago that had no earth
with the plug in earth loop test.

The earth loop was fine if conducted on the terminals of the socket
using the prongs.

I took a few photos after stripping the socket down that I will post
them over the weekend.

The sockets had no earth when a socket was inserted!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

A plug surely? ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that.

I stripped down the back of the socket and inserted a plug to see what
happened.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...thonsocket.jpg

--
Adam

Bloody domestic customers ARW UK diy 83 September 3rd 18 10:20 AM
Bloody customers Trevor Wilson Electronics Repair 17 May 19th 17 01:16 AM
Bloody amusing customers ARW UK diy 8 August 18th 13 04:30 AM
Attn: Coastal Tools local customers B a r r y Woodworking 1 April 12th 05 07:41 AM
Things We do to Serve out Customers George Woodturning 3 March 3rd 05 11:59 PM