Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Email client with permissions?

Looking for an email and couldn't find it, so looked in the deleted
folder and found it along with many others that shouldn't be in there.
So i've just wasted an inordinate amount of time trawling through and
undoing.

It's an account that we have on a handful of computers and given there
doesn't seem to be any reason/pattern I suspect ****wittery (slouching,
untidieness? Things dossed on KB when there's lack of space).

So i'm wondering if there's an email client where you can set
permissions or disable functions, or perhaps read only on the suspect
machine?
Anyone know of such a thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
So i'm wondering if there's an email client where you can set permissions
or disable functions, or perhaps read only on the suspect machine? Anyone
know of such a thing?

mutt -R will open a mailbox in read-only mode.

Probably not what you wanted though ;-)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 10:45:07 +0100, R D S wrote:

Looking for an email and couldn't find it, so looked in the deleted
folder and found it along with many others that shouldn't be in there.
So i've just wasted an inordinate amount of time trawling through and
undoing.

It's an account that we have on a handful of computers and given there
doesn't seem to be any reason/pattern I suspect ****wittery (slouching,
untidieness? Things dossed on KB when there's lack of space).

So i'm wondering if there's an email client where you can set
permissions or disable functions, or perhaps read only on the suspect
machine?
Anyone know of such a thing?

I use Thunderbird, and it's a bit too easy to drag messages
inadvertently into an adjacent folder.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2021 21:55, Dave W wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 10:45:07 +0100, R D S wrote:

Looking for an email and couldn't find it, so looked in the deleted
folder and found it along with many others that shouldn't be in there.
So i've just wasted an inordinate amount of time trawling through and
undoing.

It's an account that we have on a handful of computers and given there
doesn't seem to be any reason/pattern I suspect ****wittery (slouching,
untidieness? Things dossed on KB when there's lack of space).

So i'm wondering if there's an email client where you can set
permissions or disable functions, or perhaps read only on the suspect
machine?
Anyone know of such a thing?

I use Thunderbird, and it's a bit too easy to drag messages
inadvertently into an adjacent folder.

The most annoying thing I've found with Thunderbird is when the email is
received in a html(?) format and a web browser has to be called up to
open and to read it. The mail once opened in a web browser then goes
missing from the list and a re-index of the folder has to be performed
to make it appear again. It doesn't happen every time but in the past
few years enough times to realise this is happening and the re-index is
my first choice when I cannot find something (usually something I have
read hours before, with a tracking number etc.).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m posted

The most annoying thing I've found with Thunderbird is when the email
is received in a html(?) format and a web browser has to be called up
to open and to read it.

Not in my (old) version; there is a setting "View - Message Body As -
Original HTML".

The mail once opened in a web browser then goes missing from the list
and a re-index of the folder has to be performed to make it appear
again. It doesn't happen every time but in the past few years enough
times to realise this is happening and the re-index is my first choice
when I cannot find something (usually something I have read hours
before, with a tracking number etc.).

Yes, my wife (who uses a later version of Thunderbird) often has trouble
with messages going missing, requiring a re-index.

--
Algernon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 05:59, alan_m wrote:

The most annoying thing I've found with Thunderbird is when the email is
received in a html(?) format and a web browser has to be called up to
open and to read it. The mail once opened in a web browser then goes
missing from the list and a re-index of the folder has to be performed
to make it appear again. It doesn't happen every time but in the past
few years enough times to realise this is happening and the re-index is
my first choice when I cannot find something (usually something I have
read hours before, with a tracking number etc.).

On my T'bird (52.9.1 ) it's View Message Body As Plain Text.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

The most annoying thing I've found with Thunderbird is when the email is
received in a html(?) format and a web browser has to be called up to
open and to read it.

Huh? never had that, if it's received in html I can view original html
or simplified html within TB. If it has a plain text alternative, I can
read that if I choose. The only time I have a problem is if it came
from an old version of outlook in TNEF and just appears as a winmail.dat
attachment.