Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom zones question

I recently had an EICR (electrical report) carried out on a property I rent out (as landlords have been legally obliged to do as of 1 April). I got a C2 fail on the basis of "BATHROOM LIGHT IN ZONE 2 IS NOT IP44".

The only lights in the bathroom are 3 downlighters in the ceiling. I'm not sure what the ceiling height is yet, but my understanding is that if it's more than 2.25 metres, then it's outside the zones and I don't need any particular IP rating - is that correct?

(There's actually a second failure point stating "AT RING MAIN CIRCUIT IT USED 40AMP MCB IS TO HIGH , AND HAS TOBE 32 AMP"... that one's really bizarre, as not only am I convinced - from memory - that a 32A MCB is fitted, because I installed the bloody CU myself 10 years ago, but I also have a Periodic Inspection Report from back then which states that it's 32A. So I'm looking forward to finding out for sure - but first I'd like clarity on the zoning issue...)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/04/2021 18:55, Lobster wrote:
I recently had an EICR (electrical report) carried out on a property I rent out (as landlords have been legally obliged to do as of 1 April). I got a C2 fail on the basis of "BATHROOM LIGHT IN ZONE 2 IS NOT IP44".

The only lights in the bathroom are 3 downlighters in the ceiling. I'm not sure what the ceiling height is yet, but my understanding is that if it's more than 2.25 metres, then it's outside the zones and I don't need any particular IP rating - is that correct?

Bathroom zones here for those that do not know them

https://dms.niceic.com/0000002375.pdf

You are correct.

(There's actually a second failure point stating "AT RING MAIN CIRCUIT IT USED 40AMP MCB IS TO HIGH , AND HAS TO BE 32 AMP"... that one's really bizarre, as not only am I convinced - from memory - that a 32A MCB is fitted, because I installed the bloody CU myself 10 years ago, but I also have a Periodic Inspection Report from back then which states that it's 32A. So I'm looking forward to finding out for sure - but first I'd like clarity on the zoning issue...)

You would not be the first person to do that:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Electricians came round to quote on something and then it started -
illegal rcd, lights not waterproof in toilet etc etc etc.,

They were all total lies.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 18:55, Lobster wrote:
I recently had an EICR (electrical report) carried out on a property I
rent out (as landlords have been legally obliged to do as of 1
April).Â* I got a C2 fail on the basis of "BATHROOM LIGHT IN ZONE 2 IS
NOT IP44".

The only lights in the bathroom are 3 downlighters in the ceiling.
I'm not sure what the ceiling height is yet, but my understanding is
that if it's more than 2.25 metres, then it's outside the zones and I
don't need any particular IP rating - is that correct?

(There's actually a second failure point stating "AT RING MAIN CIRCUIT
IT USED 40AMP MCB IS TO HIGH , AND HAS TOBE 32 AMP"... that one's
really bizarre, as not only am I convinced - from memory - that a 32A
MCB is fitted, because I installed the bloody CU myself 10 years ago,
but I also have a Periodic Inspection Report from back then which
states that it's 32A.Â*Â* So I'm looking forward to finding out for sure
- but first I'd like clarity on the zoning issue...)

David

Electricians came round to quote on something and then it started -
illegal rcd, lights not waterproof in toilet etc etc etc.,

They were all total lies.

Watching a few Youtube videos recently where electricians have been
doing the safety checks and pointing out all the mistakes etc. by
previous electricians.

To test continuity of ring circuits they seem to disconnect the wires
within the consumer unit and are seen to be unscrewing sockets from the
back boxes and unscrewing ceiling roses etc. for inspection.

It struck me watching some of these videos that if you had a system
installed by a competent electrician that was properly tested and safe
and then you employed one of the less competent electricians that the
videos criticised you may be then left with an unsafe system after the
safety test.

Bathroom Electrical Zones ... Arfa Daily UK diy 11 August 18th 09 10:05 AM
Bathroom zones / regs Colin Wilson UK diy 5 September 11th 07 09:18 PM
Bathroom Zones Sparks UK diy 23 September 14th 06 08:19 PM
Central heating and zones. Question about zoning a bathroom. Mike Barnard UK diy 2 February 22nd 05 09:59 AM
Bathroom zones Troy UK diy 3 December 18th 04 09:34 PM