Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi condensate - trap/vent/valve?

The condensate from my combi boiler drains via a connection at the kitchen
sink waste. Whenever the sink is emptied (etc.) this produces a bubbling sound
from the boiler, which I'd guess is caused by suction acting on the condensate
reservoir/trap inside the boiler.

I'm not sure if it's doing any harm, but was thinking about the best way to
stop this happening, short of relocating the drain pipe. Suggestions please .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.

--
Cheers, Rob

Divert the condensate into a washing machine standpipe trap?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH brought next idea :
I'm not sure if it's doing any harm, but was thinking about the best way to
stop this happening, short of relocating the drain pipe. Suggestions please .
.

Add a separate trap (a U in the pipe), just for the boiler condensate,
or take it out through the wall and to the drain separately.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
The condensate from my combi boiler drains via a connection at the kitchen
sink waste. Whenever the sink is emptied (etc.) this produces a bubbling sound
from the boiler, which I'd guess is caused by suction acting on the condensate
reservoir/trap inside the boiler.

I'm not sure if it's doing any harm, but was thinking about the best way to
stop this happening, short of relocating the drain pipe. Suggestions please .
.

I dont think its doing any harm. I dont think the condensate trap is
there to provide any sort of fume barrier, its just to turn a steady
trickle of condensate into an intermittent rush (which is much less likely
to freeze up). If its making a bubbling sound this would imply its just
drawing air through condensate that is still in the trap rather than
emptying the trap.

I could be wrong though.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr 2021 07:34:07 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

RJH wrote:
[...]

I was told by the people who service my Worcester Bosch ch boiler that
the condensate trap is there to both prevent fumes (CO) escaping from
the boiler and to provide bursts rather than dribble of condensate to
resist freezing if being routed outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2021 08:34, Tim+ wrote:
RJH wrote:
The condensate from my combi boiler drains via a connection at the kitchen
sink waste. Whenever the sink is emptied (etc.) this produces a bubbling sound
from the boiler, which I'd guess is caused by suction acting on the condensate
reservoir/trap inside the boiler.

I'm not sure if it's doing any harm, but was thinking about the best way to
stop this happening, short of relocating the drain pipe. Suggestions please .
.

I dont think its doing any harm. I dont think the condensate trap is
there to provide any sort of fume barrier, its just to turn a steady
trickle of condensate into an intermittent rush (which is much less likely
to freeze up).

The condensate trap is in effect connected to the inside of the main HX,
so it *is* there to keep combustion by products contained as well as
allowing for a measured discharge.

If its making a bubbling sound this would imply its just
drawing air through condensate that is still in the trap rather than
emptying the trap.

Chances are it will not empty the trap completely - so the risk is low.

Personally I would take it to an open top stand pipe like one would use
for a washing machine or dish washer. (which is where I did take mine in
fact - it shares a stack with one of them)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Apr 2021 at 14:45:58 BST, "John Rumm"
wrote:

On 17/04/2021 08:34, Tim+ wrote:
RJH wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone. Looks like it's going to part of a larger project to install
a standpipe for the washing machine and dishwasher. Added to the list :-)
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 17/04/2021 08:34, Tim+ wrote:
RJH wrote:
[...]

I do it by using a slightly shorter standpipe with a swept T fitted to
the top to bring it up to height. Take the condensate drain into a
fitting reducer, thence the side inlet of the Tee. The hose from the WM
etc can then poke down the top open end of the Tee.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 17/04/2021 08:34, Tim+ wrote:
RJH wrote:
[...]

Thanks, yes, I was wondering about where the condensate pipe would go. As it
is there's a dishwasher and washing machine, so already quite a lot going on.
But the swept T would do it.

I think the biggest problem, is going to be fitting it all in. There's no
space behind the appliance(s) so there's going to have to be some kitchen
cabinet surgery.

FYI, at present the 3 drains - condensate, washing machine and dishwasher -
all feed into the kitchen sink waste at various points. /Seems/ to work. My
main concern with the arrangement isn't in fact the condensate - it's the
washing machine. That drains using an extraordinarily powerful pump from the
cellar. Just a matter of time before it blasts the feeble push-fit to pieces.
Mind, it's lasted 10 years so far . . . so far.

--
Cheers, Rob