Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Combi condensate - trap/vent/valve?

On 17/04/2021 08:34, Tim+ wrote:
RJH wrote:
The condensate from my combi boiler drains via a connection at the kitchen
sink waste. Whenever the sink is emptied (etc.) this produces a bubbling sound
from the boiler, which I'd guess is caused by suction acting on the condensate
reservoir/trap inside the boiler.

I'm not sure if it's doing any harm, but was thinking about the best way to
stop this happening, short of relocating the drain pipe. Suggestions please .
.

I dont think its doing any harm. I dont think the condensate trap is
there to provide any sort of fume barrier, its just to turn a steady
trickle of condensate into an intermittent rush (which is much less likely
to freeze up).

The condensate trap is in effect connected to the inside of the main HX,
so it *is* there to keep combustion by products contained as well as
allowing for a measured discharge.

If its making a bubbling sound this would imply its just
drawing air through condensate that is still in the trap rather than
emptying the trap.

Chances are it will not empty the trap completely - so the risk is low.

Personally I would take it to an open top stand pipe like one would use
for a washing machine or dish washer. (which is where I did take mine in
fact - it shares a stack with one of them)

--
Cheers,

John.