Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spray Foam Insulation - You & Yours Radio 4

Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You & Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not consider properties that have spray foam insulation in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

(it may take an hour or so for the programme to be available on playback,
its live now)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 12:56, George Miles wrote:
Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You & Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not consider properties that have spray foam insulation in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

(it may take an hour or so for the programme to be available on playback,
its live now)

Interesting. Spray foam bit starts at 27:30

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 15/04/2021 12:56, George Miles wrote:
Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You &
Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult
for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not consider
properties that have spray foam insulation in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

(it may take an hour or so for the programme to be available on playback,
its live now)

Interesting. Spray foam bit starts at 27:30

Seeing it heavily advertised again, I did wonder if they'd got round the
condensation problem which can cause rot in some timbers. Apparently not.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 12:56, George Miles wrote:
Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You & Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not consider properties that have spray foam insulation in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

(it may take an hour or so for the programme to be available on playback,
its live now)

It requires a registration!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 15/04/2021 12:56, George Miles wrote:
Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You & Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not consider properties that have spray foam insulation in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

(it may take an hour or so for the programme to be available on playback,
its live now)

It requires a registration!

The top one worked for me:
http://bugmenot.com/view/bbc.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 12:56, George Miles wrote:
Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You & Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not consider properties that have spray foam insulation in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

(it may take an hour or so for the programme to be available on playback,
its live now)

Thank you.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 15/04/2021 12:56, George Miles wrote:
Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You & Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not consider properties that have spray foam insulation in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

(it may take an hour or so for the programme to be available on
playback, its live now)

It requires a registration!

Assuming you have a smart TV with catchup, use that.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

alan_m wrote:

George Miles wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

It requires a registration!

Assuming you have a smart TV with catchup, use that.

Doesn't negate the need for registration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I dont think the problem is condensation,
but that if rain blows in under the slates then there is nowhere for it to go
and no ventilation to dry it out
so the timbers will rot

[g]
On Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 2:31:04 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 15/04/2021 12:56, George Miles wrote:
Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You &
Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult
for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not consider
properties that have spray foam insulation in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

(it may take an hour or so for the programme to be available on playback,
its live now)

Interesting. Spray foam bit starts at 27:30

Seeing it heavily advertised again, I did wonder if they'd got round the
condensation problem which can cause rot in some timbers. Apparently not.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:
I dont think the problem is condensation,
but that if rain blows in under the slates then there is nowhere for it to go
and no ventilation to dry it out
so the timbers will rot

Generally the advice when insulating with Celotex is to leave some of the
timber exposed, so moisture can escape. Do they not do that with spray foam?

I've heard some US horror stories, but they were where the foam hadn't been
properly mixed and toxic gases built up. And of course the nightmare of
removing it afterwards.

(I don't even like foaming in Celotex for that reason)

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Which was the one making people ill with the gas released over time.
Be a bit hard to do it with this house it has not got cavity walls and the
loft is old school thick sheets placed over the joists. However like many
houses of this type there are questions about the roof as you can see out
between the tiles, but in all the years I've been here man and boy, only one
snow storm with the wrong kind of powdered snow caused an issue.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 15/04/2021 12:56, George Miles wrote:
Spray Foam Insulation, Chrysanthemums, Sleep Apps You and Yours You &
Yours investigates why spray foam insulation could make it difficult
for you to get a mortgage. A number of lenders will not consider
properties that have spray foam insulation in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

(it may take an hour or so for the programme to be available on
playback,
its live now)

Interesting. Spray foam bit starts at 27:30

Seeing it heavily advertised again, I did wonder if they'd got round the
condensation problem which can cause rot in some timbers. Apparently not.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

alan_m wrote:

George Miles wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v2wr

It requires a registration!

Assuming you have a smart TV with catchup, use that.

Doesn't negate the need for registration.

I'd assume you already had. Not much point in buying a smart TV otherwise?

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 21:38, Theo wrote:
George Miles wrote:
I dont think the problem is condensation,
but that if rain blows in under the slates then there is nowhere for it to go
and no ventilation to dry it out
so the timbers will rot

Generally the advice when insulating with Celotex is to leave some of the
timber exposed, so moisture can escape. Do they not do that with spray foam?

They can't. It is just sprayed directly onto the underside of the slates
and all over the timber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2021 11:35, Andrew wrote:

They can't. It is just sprayed directly onto the underside of the slates
and all over the timber.

A neighbour's house has this - it was sold not so much as insulation but
as a cheap alternative to replacing an old slate roof. Glue the slates
on from the inside with foam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 16/04/2021 11:35, Andrew wrote:

They can't. It is just sprayed directly onto the underside of the slates
and all over the timber.

A neighbour's house has this - it was sold not so much as insulation but
as a cheap alternative to replacing an old slate roof. Glue the slates
on from the inside with foam.

Surely that's going to be moisture problems squared, if the slates aren't
watertight?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 16/04/2021 11:35, Andrew wrote:

They can't. It is just sprayed directly onto the underside of the slates
and all over the timber.

A neighbour's house has this - it was sold not so much as insulation but
as a cheap alternative to replacing an old slate roof. Glue the slates
on from the inside with foam.

Surely that's going to be moisture problems squared, if the slates aren't
watertight?

Quite. Why it was known to be a cheap bodge years ago. So did wonder what
had changed these days.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Foam, foam, foam Don Y[_3_] Home Repair 29 November 10th 15 04:10 AM
Spray insulation / insulating foam? Apropos Home Repair 7 July 28th 05 04:37 PM
insulation spray foam FH Home Repair 19 April 30th 05 03:08 AM
spray foam insulation for drafts??? dude Home Repair 10 January 18th 05 05:54 PM
Spray in foam insulation + minimum roof slope? Albert Home Repair 13 November 9th 04 06:53 PM