Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default Electric vehicle manufacturing produces about 23% more emissions than the production of a gas-powered car.

https://petpedia.co/pollution-statistics/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 07:40, jon wrote:
https://petpedia.co/pollution-statistics/

Have you actually read the article pin brain?

and I quote (to save you the bother) :-

"
38. Electric vehicle manufacturing produces approximately 23% more
emissions than that of a gas-powered car.
(Green Car Congress)

The US air pollution statistics have revealed that the bigger the
vehicle thats being manufactured, the larger the battery. Or, in other
words, the greater the emissions.

Fortunately, due to battery recycling, the decarbonizing of electrical
grids, and an increase in battery energy density, emissions from battery
manufacturing could be reduced by a whopping 49%.

Whats more, both BMW and Tesla encourage their battery-recycling programs.

They state that even though battery production emissions may be high
during production, in the long run, emissions from electric vehicles as
a whole are lower than gas-powered cars.
"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 07:40, jon wrote:
https://petpedia.co/pollution-statistics/

The point of electric cars is to sell more cars.

And keep German car workers in a job..

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr 2021 at 08:58:52 BST, "Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 08:32:34 +0100, Andy Bennet wrote:

On 14/04/2021 07:40, jon wrote:
https://petpedia.co/pollution-statistics/

Have you actually read the article pin brain?

and I quote (to save you the bother) :

They state that even though battery production emissions may be high
during production, in the long run, emissions from electric vehicles as
a whole are lower than gas-powered cars.

And I'd expect them to improve as production is scaled up and methods evolve.

OOI does that include the CO2 produced when the electricity used to
re-charge the batteries is generated ?

Finding 'gross impact' seems to be tricky. Very rarely see non-fuel
particulates discussed too.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2021 07:40, jon wrote:
https://petpedia.co/pollution-statistics/

The point of electric cars is to sell more cars.

And keep German car workers in a job..

And Austrian car workers building Jaguar iPace's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:04:10 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

OOI does that include the CO2 produced when the electricity used to
re-charge the batteries is generated ?

Finding 'gross impact' seems to be tricky. Very rarely see non-fuel
particulates discussed too.

As an aside to that, what happened to hydrogen / fuel-cell cars?

Now we have all this spare electricity (to charge EV's g) why
couldn't we use it to electrolyse seawater instead?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 April 2021 at 13:49:04 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:04:10 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip
OOI does that include the CO2 produced when the electricity used to
re-charge the batteries is generated ?

Finding 'gross impact' seems to be tricky. Very rarely see non-fuel
particulates discussed too.

As an aside to that, what happened to hydrogen / fuel-cell cars?

Now we have all this spare electricity (to charge EV's g) why
couldn't we use it to electrolyse seawater instead?

Cheers, T i m

I thought it was down to how practical it was to make hydrogen in quantity
at local 'fuel station'
It;s quite a bit of intrastruction for a garage to have enough capacity to my hydrogen on the spot.
And then storing it safely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:04:10 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

OOI does that include the CO2 produced when the electricity used to
re-charge the batteries is generated ?

Finding 'gross impact' seems to be tricky. Very rarely see non-fuel
particulates discussed too.

As an aside to that, what happened to hydrogen / fuel-cell cars?

Now we have all this spare electricity (to charge EV's g) why
couldn't we use it to electrolyse seawater instead?

Cost (and ruinously inefficient compared to just charging a battery).

Doesnt mean to say that it wont have a place, but economics will
determine that itll be used only where battery charging isnt a practical
option.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But what is its life expectancy against that and the generation of the
electricity over that period?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"jon" wrote in message ...
https://petpedia.co/pollution-statistics/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr 2021 15:06:14 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:04:10 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

OOI does that include the CO2 produced when the electricity used to
re-charge the batteries is generated ?

Finding 'gross impact' seems to be tricky. Very rarely see non-fuel
particulates discussed too.

As an aside to that, what happened to hydrogen / fuel-cell cars?

Now we have all this spare electricity (to charge EV's g) why
couldn't we use it to electrolyse seawater instead?

Cost (and ruinously inefficient compared to just charging a battery).

I guess that's not also factoring the cost of the damage / pollution
done mining the lithium (and as long as it lasts) versus a good supply
of fully renewable seawater?

Doesn’t mean to say that it won’t have a place, but economics will
determine that it’ll be used only where battery charging isn’t a practical
option.

So no other factors ever come into these decisions?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:04:10 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

OOI does that include the CO2 produced when the electricity used to
re-charge the batteries is generated ?

Finding 'gross impact' seems to be tricky. Very rarely see non-fuel
particulates discussed too.

As an aside to that, what happened to hydrogen / fuel-cell cars?

They were never viable and the hydrogen came from coal/natural gas.

Now we have all this spare electricity (to charge EV's g)
why couldn't we use it to electrolyse seawater instead?

Because that's even less viable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 04:40:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote:
https://petpedia.co/pollution-statistics/

This must be a day that ends in "y".

Part of the problem, is the analysis is a moving target,
and some of the assumptions are years out of date.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/factchec...climate-change

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-ev-b...study-results/

"The 2017 study claimed that the production of EV batteries emits
around 150 and 200 kg of CO2 per kWh. However, a new study,
summarized in a recent press release from IVL, showed the amount
of CO2 emissions from battery production has been reduced to
between 61 and 106 kg of CO2 equivalent per kWh."

Another variable, is the type of batteries used. The Model 3
produced for the Chinese market uses lithium iron phosphate
(fairy lamp) batteries, while the North America version
uses lithium cobalt (laptop) batteries. And maybe this suits
the domestic battery production industry.

Paul