Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Climbing plat recommendations

Since spring is nearly here, I could do with getting something planted
in the raised beds I built when I stuck the patio back together last year:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._patio_rebuild

I would be interested in some planting recommendations...

There is a bit of ivy left on one side that will probably get to the
trellis before long - but I don't want that to get too carried away. I
would rather have something a bit less "dense". Also better if the root
systems are not not too destructive, or far reaching (the beds are about
5m form the house - but are partly filled with masonry rubble).

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Apr 2021 at 01:57:38 BST, "John Rumm"
wrote:

[...]

I'm far from an expert, but my experience is that jasmine will thrive in
partial sun - in 4 years it's gone from a twig bought from Aldi to full
flowering bushes 3m high, and 3m in both directions. I've just cut it right
back, and expect it to go rampant all over again. In flower most of the year.

Similar experience with wisteria, and over 7 or so years has become very
established, 5m along a trellis. No flowers yet, and I gather the roots can be
very invasive (unlike jasmine, which I think is relatively benign).

Wisteria loses its leaves over the winter, but the jasmine seems to be a good
recreation area for birds - they seem to enjoy the cover, and I found an empty
nest in amongst the recent prune.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 01:57, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

I would avoid wisteria like the plague. Whilst it looks lovely when in
flower, it very soon gets thick and woody, spreads like wildfire and
becomes unmanageable. Triffids would be better!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

There is lots of choice in climbers, but a possible problem with
arranging different flowering times is that if they all grow and
intermingle, their different pruning requirements will make it
tricky to maintain.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 01:57, John Rumm wrote:

Since spring is nearly here, I could do with getting something planted
in the raised beds I built when I stuck the patio back together last year:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._patio_rebuild

(TLR! Just looked at photos near the end)
I would be interested in some planting recommendations...

There is a bit of ivy left on one side that will probably get to the
trellis before long - but I don't want that to get too carried away. I
would rather have something a bit less "dense". Also better if the root
systems are not not too destructive, or far reaching (the beds are about
5m form the house - but are partly filled with masonry rubble).

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

Some more information is required. Is there a main direction the beds
face? If they're south and/or west the beds will dry out quickly
(especially as you are in Essex), so you don't want a thirsty plant. If
shaded or north-facing, that will be restricting in terms of choice for
flowering., although there are still quite a few clematis which will
flower on a north wall, and plants like the climbing Hydrangea
petiolaris or seemanii. Secondly, does it matter if one or more is
evergreen or deciduous (for example, Hydrangea p is deciduous, Hydrangea
s is evergreen)?

Note also that many climbing species vary in how vigorous they are, and
if planted together one will try to smother the other!

You've mentioned clematis and honeysuckle. Some other possible, more
unusual options
(google them for more info):
Passion flower
Trachelospermum
Akebia (very vigorous!)
Jasmine
Schisandra
Holboellia
also Clematis armandii and cirrhosa (both evergreen and flower very early)

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 09:12, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

There is lots of choice in climbers, but a possible problem with
arranging different flowering times is that if they all grow and
intermingle, their different pruning requirements will make it
tricky to maintain.

Chris

Some of the climbing roses are really spectacular...just to add to the
above list

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 01:57, John Rumm wrote:

Since spring is nearly here, I could do with getting something planted
in the raised beds I built when I stuck the patio back together last year:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._patio_rebuild

I would be interested in some planting recommendations...

There is a bit of ivy left on one side that will probably get to the
trellis before long - but I don't want that to get too carried away. I
would rather have something a bit less "dense". Also better if the root
systems are not not too destructive, or far reaching (the beds are about
5m form the house - but are partly filled with masonry rubble).

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

Honeysuckle and clematis will reward you with flowers and perfume early
on. You have to wait for wisteria. Depending on the aspect hydrangea
petiolaris might be worth a try big blooms in June and quite attractive
if a bit slow growing. Passiflora is worth a punt if you are down south.

Annuals like sweet pea is a nice interim fix or even runner beans!

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

If you are prepared to tie it in then you can grow almost anything
against a wall or trellis with sufficient effort. Apples, pears, figs
and peaches for instance. Figs might well like the worst builders rubble
part but would probably still need further root restriction.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 08:45, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/04/2021 01:57, John Rumm wrote:

Since spring is nearly here, I could do with getting something planted
in the raised beds I built when I stuck the patio back together last year:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._patio_rebuild

I would be interested in some planting recommendations...

There is a bit of ivy left on one side that will probably get to the
trellis before long - but I don't want that to get too carried away. I
would rather have something a bit less "dense". Also better if the root
systems are not not too destructive, or far reaching (the beds are about
5m form the house - but are partly filled with masonry rubble).

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

Honeysuckle and clematis will reward you with flowers and perfume early
on. You have to wait for wisteria.

The golden rule about wisteria is to buy a plant with flowers on,
otherwise you can easily wait for years for one to bloom.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

There is lots of choice in climbers, but a possible problem with
arranging different flowering times is that if they all grow and
intermingle, their different pruning requirements will make it
tricky to maintain.

Yup, "low maintenance" and "fit and forget" are terms that appeal to me
gardening wise :-)

(I don't mind hacking bits off from time to time, but I am not about to
uproot things and winter them in the greenhouse!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 09:23, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

There are raised beds on the north, west, and south facing sides of the
patio - these finish about a foot lower than the wall that backs them,
there is then 1m of so of trellis above the dwarf walls of the patio.
There are also floor level beds on the north and south sides, although
these already have some established planting. Large pots/troughs could
also be used.

(especially as you are in Essex), so you don't want a thirsty plant. If
shaded or north-facing, that will be restricting in terms of choice for
flowering., although there are still quite a few clematis which will
flower on a north wall, and plants like the climbing Hydrangea

North side looks like:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...tTrellisUp.jpg

(similar idea on the west and south elevations)

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ashedWalls.jpg

Can use the ground level for planting on all but the west side.
Something that I can train over the arch might be nice:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...chInPlace2.jpg

(the beds are about 1m away from that either side - there are a couple
of established pampas grasses directly either side)

petiolaris or seemanii. Secondly, does it matter if one or more is
evergreen or deciduous (for example, Hydrangea p is deciduous, Hydrangea
s is evergreen)?

No, it does not matter too much...

Note also that many climbing species vary in how vigorous they are, and
if planted together one will try to smother the other!

You've mentioned clematis and honeysuckle. Some other possible, more
unusual options
(google them for more info):
Passion flower
Trachelospermum
Akebia (very vigorous!)
Jasmine
Schisandra
Holboellia
also Clematis armandii and cirrhosa (both evergreen and flower very early)

Yup, looking at some online suppliers, I had not realised just how many
different species of clematis there are!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

There is lots of choice in climbers, but a possible problem with
arranging different flowering times is that if they all grow and
intermingle, their different pruning requirements will make it
tricky to maintain.

Yup, "low maintenance" and "fit and forget" are terms that appeal to me
gardening wise :-)

(I don't mind hacking bits off from time to time, but I am not about to
uproot things and winter them in the greenhouse!)

The only maintenance our 2 jasmines get is from the lawn mower .

One of them - a cutting from t'other - is on a North facing fence which
just seems to have encouraged it to reach for the sky.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Clematis are nice for this. Will flower twice a year on a good one. But
can look a bit scruffy in the winter.

Ivy looks nice - but gets everywhere.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each
year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

There is lots of choice in climbers, but a possible problem with
arranging different flowering times is that if they all grow and
intermingle, their different pruning requirements will make it
tricky to maintain.

Yup, "low maintenance" and "fit and forget" are terms that appeal to
me gardening wise :-)

(I don't mind hacking bits off from time to time, but I am not about
to uproot things and winter them in the greenhouse!)

The only maintenance our 2 jasmines get is from the lawn mower .

Yup, my kind of gardening! If I can set about it with a power tool, then
I can cope with it!

One of them - a cutting from t'other - is on a North facing fence which
just seems to have encouraged it to reach for the sky.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 11:08, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Looking at those it doesn't really matter too much what plants you put
in them except, perhaps, for those that like a hot south or west wall
behind them. The open nature of the trellis allows lots of light
through.so most plants would do well, except those that grow south or
west facing and demand a hot wall behind them, or those that must grow
in shade on a north-facing wall.

[...]

See "Climbers" and "Clematis" he
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/index.htm
I have bought many plants from Roseland House. Charlie is a great
plantsman with a very good range of plants, which he propagates himself.

The descriptions are pretty clear as to what growing conditions the
plants require.

It might be worth spending an hour or so with The Management going
through some of the options. ;-)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Have a look at Montana Clematis. Grows anywhere and doesn't care where
the Sun comes up. Not hugely exciting flower wise but does its own thing
and lets you get on with yours:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Pashion Flower ?. You get wonderful flowers and then useful
fruit/seed pods for cooking.

Choose carefully. The one I had was too rampant and within 3
years it was making a beeline for the eaves and soffits.

The local family of wrens moved in and made a nest inside the
jungle of stems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

There is lots of choice in climbers, but a possible problem with
arranging different flowering times is that if they all grow and
intermingle, their different pruning requirements will make it
tricky to maintain.

Yup, "low maintenance" and "fit and forget" are terms that appeal to me
gardening wise :-)

(I don't mind hacking bits off from time to time, but I am not about to
uproot things and winter them in the greenhouse!)

Don't have a rose then, the thorns are a nuisance when you do have
to cut it back and there are few varieties that don't get black spot,
mildew and other diseases.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 01:57, John Rumm wrote:
I would be interested in some planting recommendations...

uk.rec.gardening or free.uk.gardening?