Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Climbing plat recommendations

On 12/04/2021 09:23, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/04/2021 01:57, John Rumm wrote:

Since spring is nearly here, I could do with getting something planted
in the raised beds I built when I stuck the patio back together last
year:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._patio_rebuild

(TLR! Just looked at photos near the end)
I would be interested in some planting recommendations...

There is a bit of ivy left on one side that will probably get to the
trellis before long - but I don't want that to get too carried away. I
would rather have something a bit less "dense". Also better if the root
systems are not not too destructive, or far reaching (the beds are about
5m form the house - but are partly filled with masonry rubble).

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

Some more information is required. Is there a main direction the beds
face? If they're south and/or west the beds will dry out quickly

There are raised beds on the north, west, and south facing sides of the
patio - these finish about a foot lower than the wall that backs them,
there is then 1m of so of trellis above the dwarf walls of the patio.
There are also floor level beds on the north and south sides, although
these already have some established planting. Large pots/troughs could
also be used.

(especially as you are in Essex), so you don't want a thirsty plant. If
shaded or north-facing, that will be restricting in terms of choice for
flowering., although there are still quite a few clematis which will
flower on a north wall, and plants like the climbing Hydrangea

North side looks like:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...tTrellisUp.jpg

(similar idea on the west and south elevations)

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ashedWalls.jpg

Can use the ground level for planting on all but the west side.
Something that I can train over the arch might be nice:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...chInPlace2.jpg

(the beds are about 1m away from that either side - there are a couple
of established pampas grasses directly either side)

petiolaris or seemanii. Secondly, does it matter if one or more is
evergreen or deciduous (for example, Hydrangea p is deciduous, Hydrangea
s is evergreen)?

No, it does not matter too much...

Note also that many climbing species vary in how vigorous they are, and
if planted together one will try to smother the other!

You've mentioned clematis and honeysuckle. Some other possible, more
unusual options
(google them for more info):
Passion flower
Trachelospermum
Akebia (very vigorous!)
Jasmine
Schisandra
Holboellia
also Clematis armandii and cirrhosa (both evergreen and flower very early)

Yup, looking at some online suppliers, I had not realised just how many
different species of clematis there are!

--
Cheers,

John.