Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Climbing plat recommendations

On 12/04/2021 01:57, John Rumm wrote:

Since spring is nearly here, I could do with getting something planted
in the raised beds I built when I stuck the patio back together last year:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._patio_rebuild

I would be interested in some planting recommendations...

There is a bit of ivy left on one side that will probably get to the
trellis before long - but I don't want that to get too carried away. I
would rather have something a bit less "dense". Also better if the root
systems are not not too destructive, or far reaching (the beds are about
5m form the house - but are partly filled with masonry rubble).

Honeysuckle, clematis, wisteria?

A splash of colour would be nice, something that can be pruned back
fairly hard so that it does not get out of control. Might be good to go
for a mix of species that don't all flower at the same time each year to
get a longer spell of something nice to look at.

I would avoid wisteria like the plague. Whilst it looks lovely when in
flower, it very soon gets thick and woody, spreads like wildfire and
becomes unmanageable. Triffids would be better!
--
Cheers,
Roger