Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default App connected pressure washer?

Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?

I wondered about that, you hardly want to have your mobile phone in your
hands while using a pressure-washer ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2021 20:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?

I wondered about that, you hardly want to have your mobile phone in your
hands while using a pressure-washer ...

Just another gimic. Our dishwasher is capable of control via an app,
over wifi, but to what purpose? Once you have loaded the dishes and the
detergent, you can start it there and then, quicker and easier from the
front panel. If you want a delayed start, that can be done quickly and
easily from the front panel too. The only thing the app can do extra, is
to see how long is remaining before the end of cycle, without going to
look at the machine - and I can just remember when it is due to end instead.

I can see some use for apps - earlier I went to get pizza and forgot to
put the oven on to warm it for when I got back. Being able to turn the
oven on remotely would have been useful - however, I have a wife a 3
children, so phoning home is good enough ... and they can check that
nothing has been left in the oven first as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?

I wondered about that, you hardly want to have your mobile phone in your
hands while using a pressure-washer ...

Siri works fine in my pocket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?

I wondered about that, you hardly want to have your mobile phone in your
hands while using a pressure-washer ...

Just another gimic. Our dishwasher is capable of control via an app, over
wifi, but to what purpose?

Much more convenient to be able to set a config of
cycles with your phone and then just tap on that icon
when you want to run that config again and have
different configs for the different stuff you do.

Once you have loaded the dishes and the detergent, you can start it there
and then, quicker and easier from the front panel.

Not if you want to vary the detail of how the entire load
is done. Much easier to have a decent text description
than some cryptic title on a switch position or button.

Vastly better with fault where it can tell you that
its not getting enough water or there is a leak
somewhere and that's why it has stopped.

If you want a delayed start, that can be done quickly and easily from the
front panel too.

Much easier to set it up once and just tap on
that icon the next time you want to do that
delayed start again.

The only thing the app can do extra, is to see how long is remaining
before the end of cycle, without going to look at the machine - and I can
just remember when it is due to end instead.

But not when you don't use the same cycle config every time.

I can see some use for apps - earlier I went to get pizza and forgot to
put the oven on to warm it for when I got back. Being able to turn the
oven on remotely would have been useful - however, I have a wife a 3
children, so phoning home is good enough ... and they can check that
nothing has been left in the oven first as well.

But plenty of times they will be out with you or don't exist at all
or are out somewhere else. The app approach works all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 05:39:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 05:31:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the auto-contradicting trolling senile asshole's latest
troll**** unread

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns pretended :
I wondered about that, you hardly want to have your mobile phone in your
hands while using a pressure-washer ...

Maybe tech for tech's sake?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Just another gimic. Our dishwasher is capable of control via an app,
over wifi, but to what purpose? Once you have loaded the dishes and the
detergent, you can start it there and then, quicker and easier from the
front panel. If you want a delayed start, that can be done quickly and
easily from the front panel too. The only thing the app can do extra, is
to see how long is remaining before the end of cycle, without going to
look at the machine - and I can just remember when it is due to end instead.

The problem with a lot of 'smart home' stuff is it's actually quite dumb.
Controlling the dishwasher from your phone is a good example - a nice
gimmick but pretty useless in real life. What you might want is actual home
automation: to be able to tell the dishwasher to run when the electricity
cost is lowest (perhaps the weather outlook is good for your solar panels),
or maybe to activate something when it finishes (a fan to vent the steam for
example).

Being automation, once you've set it up you don't have to do any work.
This is unlike the manufacturer's app, which is primarily designed to make
you interact with it to sell you ads (or something). It's the needy toddler
versus the pro you can trust to do the job for you.

I can see some use for apps - earlier I went to get pizza and forgot to
put the oven on to warm it for when I got back. Being able to turn the
oven on remotely would have been useful - however, I have a wife a 3
children, so phoning home is good enough ... and they can check that
nothing has been left in the oven first as well.

It really depends on your lifestyle, but an automation might be to turn on
the oven when you leave work. You put a potato in there in the morning, and
the automation detects when you leave work and starts the oven. You get
home to a freshly baked potato no matter what time you end up leaving.

Then there are those of the opinion that setting a variable temperature
profile is the route to the perfect roast. That's the sort of thing that's
more easily done in the app than with a fiddly control panel. You could of
course set a reminder to go and change the temperature dial, but perhaps
you'd rather get on with something else and let the dinner cook itself?

I'm not sure how much I'd pay for this stuff, but I'd guess quite a few
people have a 'killer app' that would make it worthwhile - it's just
different for everyone.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?

Looking at the rather cheesy video:
https://www.kaercher.com/uk/home-gar...-13172340.html

it seems to be an app that tells you what settings to use for what task and
sets them for you. So you select 'I'm cleaning a patio' and it configures
it for you.

Nothing you couldn't do with the instruction book and pressing the buttons
on the tool, but I suppose at the domestic end of the spectrum you might get
the pressure washer out once a month and forget what it needs. And the
instruction book is also not a great thing to have around in a wet
environment (whereas many phones are waterproof these days).

It probably adds $2 to the BOM to add the Bluetooth and the rest is
software. I don't think I'd pay much for the feature, but then I wouldn't
pay for a pressure washer in the first place.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

Looking at the rather cheesy video:
https://www.kaercher.com/uk/home-gar...-13172340.html

Looks like it has multiple nozzles in that "flamethrower-like" lance, so
you can twist to get a fan, a straight jet or a turbo spinning jet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?

You can wash your car while sitting watching TV?

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Destroying your mobile phone, stop the flow when you are getting an incoming
call?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

You have to have the phone unlocked for that surely?

That’s my big gripe with Siri, they should use a decent
voiceprint so that it automatically recognises you.

Rod Speed wrote
Andy Burns wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote

Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?

I wondered about that, you hardly want to have your mobile phone in your
hands while using a pressure-washer ...

Siri works fine in my pocket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 07:52:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That¢s my big gripe with Siri, they should use a decent
voiceprint so that it automatically recognises you.

I believe I told you already: shove your idiotic Siri and Alexa up your
senile arse, senile arsehole!

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2021 19:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Karcher are advertising an app connected pressure washer - I cannot
imagine what purpose that might serve?

Removing a Banksy ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2021 22:18, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andy Burns pretended :
I wondered about that, you hardly want to have your mobile phone in
your hands while using a pressure-washer ...

Maybe tech for tech's sake?

It's the 2020 version of 1980's "microprocessor controlled"