Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Separating the pages of fully flood-soaked books , that later totallydried out?

So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and
temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot of
tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages.
Next book, I'll try making a steaming chamber , rather than fully
soaking, any other ideas like chemicals?/ anyone been here before?

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 14:21, NY wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message
So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and
temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot
of tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages.
Next book,Â* I'll try making a steaming chamber , rather than fully
soaking, any other ideas like chemicals?/ anyone been here before?

Resoak the pages and try to tease them apart while they are still damp?
Could help - or could be the worst ever thing to try ;-)

That is what he says he's tried.

Steam damping, as mentioned, makes more sense for plan B - think
wallpaper removal. Good luck

Not sure how you'll keep separated pages apart as they dry or keep the
pages flat, though. Sheets of acetate?

Hope that it isn't Encyclopedia Britannica !

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 13:49, Peter Able wrote:
On 09/04/2021 14:21, NY wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message
So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and
temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot
of tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages.
Next book, I'll try making a steaming chamber , rather than fully
soaking, any other ideas like chemicals?/ anyone been here before?

Resoak the pages and try to tease them apart while they are still
damp? Could help - or could be the worst ever thing to try ;-)

That is what he says he's tried.

Steam damping, as mentioned, makes more sense for plan B - think
wallpaper removal. Good luck

Not sure how you'll keep separated pages apart as they dry or keep the
pages flat, though. Sheets of acetate?

Hope that it isn't Encyclopedia Britannica !

PA

The drying out is the simple bit. I use a fan heater on cold , blowing
over the pages so they flutter about. Then when still very vaguely damp
, close up and lightly weight down with pieces of newspaper interleaving
every 2 or 3 pages, checking every few hours and then overnight and then
for days.
For steaming i think I'll find a gas hob kettle , so it can run at low
tick-over ,via some tubing, into a box of some sort.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 13:49, N_Cook wrote:
So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and
temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot of
tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages.
Next book,Â* I'll try making a steaming chamber , rather than fully
soaking, any other ideas like chemicals?/ anyone been here before?

Buy replacement books.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 14:21, NY wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message
So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and
temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot
of tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages.
Next book,Â* I'll try making a steaming chamber , rather than fully
soaking, any other ideas like chemicals?/ anyone been here before?

Resoak the pages and try to tease them apart while they are still
damp? Could help - or could be the worst ever thing to try ;-)

That is what he says he's tried.

Steam damping, as mentioned, makes more sense for plan B - think
wallpaper removal.Â* Good luck

Not sure how you'll keep separated pages apart as they dry or keep the
pages flat, though.Â* Sheets of acetate?

Hope that it isn't Encyclopedia Britannica !

PA

The drying out is the simple bit. I use a fan heater on cold , blowing
over the pages so they flutter about. Then when still very vaguely damp
, close up and lightly weight down with pieces of newspaper interleaving
every 2 or 3 pages, checking every few hours and then overnight and then
for days.
For steaming i think I'll find a gas hob kettle ,Â* so it can run at low
tick-over ,via some tubing, into a box of some sort.

Are you sure the newspaper ink won't partly transfer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 13:49, N_Cook wrote:
So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and
temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot of
tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages.
Next book,Â* I'll try making a steaming chamber , rather than fully
soaking, any other ideas like chemicals?/ anyone been here before?

Probably too late but I suggest soaking in cold water then following

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...-documents.pdf

On a point in another post, be very cautious about using newspapers.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 17:16, williamwright wrote:
On 09/04/2021 13:49, N_Cook wrote:
So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and
temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot
of tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages.
Next book, I'll try making a steaming chamber , rather than fully
soaking, any other ideas like chemicals?/ anyone been here before?

Buy replacement books.

Bill

Unfortunately they are unobtanium but at the same time , of no value, so
no professional restorer fees available.

newspaper.
I'd previously used newsprint in the drying process after de-acidifying
old going-friable brown paper , spraying with washing soda soulution.
But just in case of bleed-through, I'll try getting some blank newsprint
from my local chipie. It seems to be the right sort of absancy unlike
copier paper and thinner than blotting paper.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its been a long time you may well be out of luck, as the ink itself may
have no idea where its suppose to be. There was a program some time ago on
trying to read what was in old books like you describe using sectionalised
chopping up and a special electron microscope to try the read the text.

Maybe need to talk to some restorers, but expect a large bill and not 100
percent success.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"N_Cook" wrote in message
So they are just like blocks of wood, because of an unknowing and
temporary leak . Fully soaking the book , some success but also a lot of
tearing of pages rather than cleaving of pages.
Next book, I'll try making a steaming chamber , rather than fully
soaking, any other ideas like chemicals?/ anyone been here before?

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I might try confining steam under a bit of pressure and forcing it out
of a hypodermic needle. Perhaps playing it on a corner would start to
cleave apart pages rather than rip or mush the pages .

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 14:41, N_Cook wrote:
I might try confining steam under a bit of pressure and forcing it out
of a hypodermic needle. Perhaps playing it on a corner would start to
cleave apart pages rather than rip or mush the pages .

The best tool I found was a draughtsmans plastic scale rule, very thin
and tapering to the edges, but not sharp edges, and rounded corners.
After spraying, soaking in/ partially drying and finding ereas where I
could get the ruler admitted. Then slight waggling of the leading edge
of the rule separated the pages quite well, especially when I'd cleaved
an initial run down the long edge of a book. Or sometimes the binding
edge became more free and could push the rule thru, the length of the
page and then waggling. Initially separating small blocks of pages ,
then going individually