Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multitool recommendation

The battery on my trusty Workzone multitool has given up, and I can't find a
replacement. I see Aldi have one on sale, but at £70 it's fairly pricey for
their stuff.

Any recommendations? I see Makita and Bosch have mains versions for about
£100, and the main variable appears to be proprietary blades (I'd rather avoid
unless they're a reasonable price). I could be persuaded to go cordless, but
I'm not happy about adding yet another battery/charger type to my collection -
and I doubt the cordless tools I've got (all Lidl/Aldi) fit current models.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

The battery on my trusty Workzone multitool has given up, and I can't find a
replacement. I see Aldi have one on sale, but at £70 it's fairly pricey for
their stuff.

Any recommendations? I see Makita and Bosch have mains versions for about
£100, and the main variable appears to be proprietary blades

My makita takes generic multitool blades, the annoyance is that it
undoes with an alan key, which they changed to a tool-less quickchange
right after I bought mine.

(I'd rather avoid
unless they're a reasonable price). I could be persuaded to go cordless,

mine is 18v, but I'm pretty well invested in makita batteries

but
I'm not happy about adding yet another battery/charger type to my collection -
and I doubt the cordless tools I've got (all Lidl/Aldi) fit current models.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 11:31, RJH wrote:
The battery on my trusty Workzone multitool has given up, and I can't find a
replacement. I see Aldi have one on sale, but at £70 it's fairly pricey for
their stuff.

Any recommendations? I see Makita and Bosch have mains versions for about
£100, and the main variable appears to be proprietary blades (I'd rather avoid
unless they're a reasonable price). I could be persuaded to go cordless, but
I'm not happy about adding yet another battery/charger type to my collection -
and I doubt the cordless tools I've got (all Lidl/Aldi) fit current models.

I've got an Einhell mains multitool, which cost about £80 a couple
of years ago at a local non-chain garden/home/diy store.

Quite noisy though, ear protection recommended.

I think it is this one -

https://www.toolstation.com/power-to...?brand=Einhell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr 2021 at 14:42:55 BST, "Andrew"
wrote:

On 09/04/2021 11:31, RJH wrote:
[...]

Thanks, yes, seen that one. Mixed reviews. I've still not decided . . .
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 11:31, RJH wrote:
The battery on my trusty Workzone multitool has given up, and I can't find a
replacement. I see Aldi have one on sale, but at £70 it's fairly pricey for
their stuff.

Any recommendations? I see Makita and Bosch have mains versions for about
£100, and the main variable appears to be proprietary blades (I'd rather avoid
unless they're a reasonable price). I could be persuaded to go cordless, but
I'm not happy about adding yet another battery/charger type to my collection -
and I doubt the cordless tools I've got (all Lidl/Aldi) fit current models.

Had my old green Bosch out yesterday, still working well. Takes generic
blades. Needs allen key. For my purposes mains is fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 14:42, Andrew wrote:

I've got an Einhell mains multitool, which cost about £80

I look at that brand name and think it's an abbreviation of something
that normally would be shouted ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 15:55, newshound wrote:
On 09/04/2021 11:31, RJH wrote:
The battery on my trusty Workzone multitool has given up, and I can't
find a
replacement. I see Aldi have one on sale, but at £70 it's fairly
pricey for
their stuff.

Any recommendations? I see Makita and Bosch have mains versions for about
£100, and the main variable appears to be proprietary blades (I'd
rather avoid
unless they're a reasonable price). I could be persuaded to go
cordless, but
I'm not happy about adding yet another battery/charger type to my
collection -
and I doubt the cordless tools I've got (all Lidl/Aldi) fit current
models.

Had my old green Bosch out yesterday, still working well. Takes generic
blades. Needs allen key. For my purposes mains is fine.

+1
I've been ab(using) my old green bosch PMF180 quite a lot recently with
generic blades for Saxton.

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/fein-...patible-blades

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/04/2021 11:31, RJH wrote:

[...]

In February I bought a "Dekton 40pc Hobby Craft Mini Drill Grinder
Multi Tool Engraver Rotary To..." for £17.99 postfree on ebay. Seller
is shown as b.p.r-trading (261775).

Unfortunately the only one now on ebay is £29.95 from collossaldeals
(45301).

I was impressed by the fact that it includes an add-on flexible rotary
coupling.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 11:31, RJH wrote:
[...]

Thanks - think I'll go for one of the c.£100 Bosch or Makitas. Just need to
get my head around the blade systems. I can manage with an allen key, but
tool-less would be nice. And whether Bosch's Starlock would be worth it.

--
Cheers, Rob