Old September 4th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sharpening multitool/oscillating saw blades

I find myself using the multitool a lot on jobs, more and more often.
It does a great job on cutting drywall, wood base, all sorts of things
that occasionally have nails in them. The blades are pretty expensive
and this last job I dulled a couple of them.

I started out placing an order for more blades and it occurred to me
to try sharpening one of them. The Harbor Freight dished half moon
blades I filed with a triangle needle file, took maybe 5 minutes. The
Versatool bimetal blades (nice blades, by the way) were too hard for a
standard file, so I used a Harbor Freight diamond triangle needle
file. A stroke or two on each tooth and a couple minutes and it was
good as new.

The blades have a slight amount of set to the teeth and I didn't worry
about it or filing from both sides, I just clamped them in a vise
between two scraps of wood and had at it. They work good as new.

I figure I saved more than $50 in a half hour.

Old September 4th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Wally" wrote in message
[...]

I have heard that could be done. However, IIRC Dremel makes blades that
will fit the Fein as does Bosch. IIRC the Dremel blades are Inexpensive.
You might have only saved $10 if resharpening a Dremel blade. ;~)
Any good to hear for sure that the blades can be reworked.

Old September 5th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 4, 5:23*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Wally" wrote in message

[...]

I no longer look at the price of blades. That Multimaster has been one
of the most effective tools I own.
That damned tool needs a statue and a shrine. Got me out of many
binds.
Fein deserves a star on the WoodDorker's Walk Of Fame.
Old September 5th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 4, 6:09*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 4, 5:23*pm, "Leon" wrote:

"Wally" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Hell, that tool is so cool, Shatner Himself could have invented it.
Old September 5th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Wally wrote:
[...]

Here's another way: Use a Dremel rotary tool to cut notches in the blade,
1/16" deep, 1/16" between.

You're done.

And I can't detect ANY set to the teeth.