Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unobtrusive outdoor electrics

We have just erected a 'permanent' (i.e. steel box frame and
polypropylene roof) gazebo. We had to move a small summer house as a
consequence of this and, as a further consequence, I will have to
relocate some outdoor wiring and I'm trying to come up with the least
obtrusive way of doing this.

Having removed the summer house the feed wire (underground from a
small sub-consumer unit in a tack room) just emerges from the ground a
couple of metres from the new gazebo. There are also a couple of SWA
cables emerging at the same point which go underground to some pond
electrics.

So, I need to do several things:-

Re-connect the 'incomer' to the pond feeds, this is just on bare,
sloping ground. I guess I need to bury it or at least partly bury
it so strimmer/mower can go over it. It's all fed by a 16A MCB
(with RCD protection further up the tree) so can I use Wago
connectors in a small[ish] weatherproof box and make it
'inaccessible'? I could crimp things but I'm not quite sure how
one can crimp more than two wires together.

Add a new feed from the buried box above to a corner of the new
gazebo. Is it mandatory for this to be buried or is there any way
to run SWA on the surface that would be acceptable? It'll be
awkward to bury. If on the surface SWA could run along the edge
of the paving on which the gazebo is standing, I could P-clip it
to the concrete edges.

Finally I need some sort of neat and tidy way of providing a
couple of sockets by the gazebo. This could be anything from a
wooden post with a pair of outdoor sockets on it to a purpose
made, elegant (?) supply as used in marinas etc. (but it does have
to have standard BS1363 sockets). Any suggestions for what would
look reasonably civilized?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2021 11:47, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Jointed in a box and then epoxy filled?

As for burying it - there are requirements about depth, warning tape,
etc. that you'd have to look into.

Add a new feed from the buried box above to a corner of the new
gazebo. Is it mandatory for this to be buried or is there any way
to run SWA on the surface that would be acceptable? It'll be
awkward to bury. If on the surface SWA could run along the edge
of the paving on which the gazebo is standing, I could P-clip it
to the concrete edges.

Industrially, I've previously specified using Unistrut

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/produ.../PG3241/793480

to route one or two cables through. Using it on it's side, with the base
fastened to the edge of the paving would provide good protection from
being stood on, impacted, etc. You can even get a plastic capping to
close off the open side and so protect the cable from the sun.

Finally I need some sort of neat and tidy way of providing a
couple of sockets by the gazebo. This could be anything from a
wooden post with a pair of outdoor sockets on it to a purpose
made, elegant (?) supply as used in marinas etc. (but it does have
to have standard BS1363 sockets). Any suggestions for what would
look reasonably civilized?

I have a simple, two-gang socket, in a plastic housing, with a latching
lid on the front of my (back garden) garage. I'd just go for one of
those on a post.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Re-connect the 'incomer' to the pond feeds, this is just on bare,
sloping ground. I guess I need to bury it or at least partly bury
it so strimmer/mower can go over it. It's all fed by a 16A MCB
(with RCD protection further up the tree) so can I use Wago
connectors in a small[ish] weatherproof box and make it
'inaccessible'? I could crimp things but I'm not quite sure how
one can crimp more than two wires together.

On further research it seems to me that inaccessible SWA glands are
not allowed because they have nuts to tighten which must be checked.
Is this right? I.e. one can't bury any sort of SWA interconnection.

I suppose the answer therefore is to part bury the box with the lid at
ground surface level so it can be mowed over etc. but is still accessible.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_1/index.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Re-connect the 'incomer' to the pond feeds, this is just on bare,
sloping ground. I guess I need to bury it or at least partly bury
it so strimmer/mower can go over it. It's all fed by a 16A MCB
(with RCD protection further up the tree) so can I use Wago
connectors in a small[ish] weatherproof box and make it
'inaccessible'? I could crimp things but I'm not quite sure how
one can crimp more than two wires together.

On further research it seems to me that inaccessible SWA glands are
not allowed because they have nuts to tighten which must be checked.
Is this right? I.e. one can't bury any sort of SWA interconnection.

I suppose the answer therefore is to part bury the box with the lid at
ground surface level so it can be mowed over etc. but is still accessible.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_1/index.html

A 4-way Pratley is quite expensive though. It's not quite clear how
it avoids the 'accessible' requirement either as there appear to be
nuts to tighten that provide the earth continuity.

--
Chris Green
·

Outdoor electrics Simon T[_4_] UK diy 54 September 21st 16 11:32 PM
Unobtrusive fence post fixing dent[_2_] UK diy 1 June 16th 09 03:26 PM
Running outdoor Christmas lights without an outdoor outlet PM Home Repair 5 December 17th 06 04:12 AM
Running outdoor Christmas lights without an outdoor outlet PM Home Ownership 2 December 16th 06 11:56 PM
Most unobtrusive finish [email protected] Woodworking 8 August 5th 06 01:38 AM