Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor electrics

I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer covered by
Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my property
in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous owner. But as I'm
now considering getting rid of it and building a bigger one, was concerned
about tinkering about with the supply.

So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 September 2016 09:33:17 UTC+1, Simon T wrote:
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer covered by
Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my property
in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous owner. But as I'm
now considering getting rid of it and building a bigger one, was concerned
about tinkering about with the supply.

So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)

In 2000 I wired up my outdoor 9.5 kW sauna directly to the fuse box so I am in the clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason writes:
On Sunday, 18 September 2016 09:33:17 UTC+1, Simon T wrote:
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer covered by
Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my property
in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous owner. But as I'm
now considering getting rid of it and building a bigger one, was concerned
about tinkering about with the supply.

So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)

In 2000 I wired up my outdoor 9.5 kW sauna directly to the fuse box so I am in the clear.

I got my new CU and outdoor sockets finished shortly before Part P
came in. I'd had the bits for over a year, so it did push me into
finishing the job.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Simon T" wrote in message
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer covered by
Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

April 2013, but only in England.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Simon Mason writes:

In 2000 I wired up my outdoor 9.5 kW sauna directly to the fuse
box so I am in the clear.

I got my new CU and outdoor sockets finished shortly before Part P
came in. I'd had the bits for over a year, so it did push me into
finishing the job.

I genuinely fitted mine on 31/12/2004.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 09:33, Simon T wrote:
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer covered
by Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

With the 2013 revision of the part P doc. It also made a number of other
sensible changes, and a general watering down of the dafter requirements.

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Part_P

Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my
property in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous owner.
But as I'm now considering getting rid of it and building a bigger one,
was concerned about tinkering about with the supply.

So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 09:33, Simon T wrote:
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer covered
by Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

It didn't. Domestic electrical work outdoors (outbuildings, in gardens
and outdoor lighting, etc.) is still in-scope of Part P - i.e. it must
be safe in respect of electric shock and fire risks.

What changed in 2013 is that the range of work deemed to be notifiable
was significantly reduced. Only the following are notifiable now:

- installation of a new circuit (presumably meaning either a
distribution circuit (submain) or a final circuit;

- the replacement of a consumer unit (but not the installation of a new
one, in a new shed, for instance...)

- any work within the zones in a bath/shower room, or in a swimming pool
or sauna.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message ...
the replacement of a consumer unit (but not the installation of a new one,
in a new shed, for instance...)

So, if I wanted to, I could wire a new consumer unit into my shed, direct
from the one in the house and I wouldn't have to notify the council?

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 13:10, Simon T wrote:
"Andy Wade" wrote in message ...
the replacement of a consumer unit (but not the installation of a new
one, in a new shed, for instance...)

So, if I wanted to, I could wire a new consumer unit into my shed,
direct from the one in the house and I wouldn't have to notify the council?

If you already have the submain to the shed, then yes. If you need to
install a new circuit from the house CU then it would still be notifiable.

(having said all this, its a bit of a moot point since conversations
with BCOs seem to indicate the number of applications that they get for
standalone electrical jobs is typically zero!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Simon T" wrote in message
"Andy Wade" wrote in message ...
the replacement of a consumer unit (but not the installation of a new
one, in a new shed, for instance...)

So, if I wanted to, I could wire a new consumer unit into my shed, direct
from the one in the house and I wouldn't have to notify the council?

But you cannot add any circuits to the new CU without notification. However
the Part P Police do not exist.

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 13:20, John Rumm wrote:

(having said all this, its a bit of a moot point since conversations
with BCOs seem to indicate the number of applications that they get for
standalone electrical jobs is typically zero!)

Odd that... :~)

The only Part P prosecutions I know of have been for seriously dangerous
work by cowboy tradesmen, who (IMHO) deserve all they get.

If you know what you're doing, your work is safe and complies with the
fundamental rules in BS 7671 then you will have complied with the
essential requirements of Part P.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
If you already have the submain to the shed, then yes. If you need to
install a new circuit from the house CU then it would still be notifiable.

Oh right, I thought new circuits to outside buildings weren't notifiable?

So, if I had no electric to my shed and wanted to run power to it, I'd have
to take it from a spur from an existing circuit then?

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon T wrote:
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer
covered by Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my
property in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous
owner. But as I'm now considering getting rid of it and building a
bigger one, was concerned about tinkering about with the supply.

So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)

You always could, the electricity police aren't waiting around the corner
ready to pounce on anyone breaking the rules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Simon T wrote:
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer
covered by Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my
property in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous
owner. But as I'm now considering getting rid of it and building a
bigger one, was concerned about tinkering about with the supply.

So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)

You always could, the electricity police aren't waiting around the corner
ready to pounce on anyone breaking the rules

But, a potential problem arises when you come to sell your house.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Huge" wrote in message

And nobody gives a toss. Having just moved house, Part 'P' was never
mentioned, either in the sale or purchase.

But you were not buying from or selling to dennis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
You always could, the electricity police aren't waiting around the
corner ready to pounce on anyone breaking the rules

But, a potential problem arises when you come to sell your house.

Not really, no one cares.
If, by a slight chance, the buyer insists on tests being done, the outside
electrics are simply disconnected before anyone arrives to perform the
testing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 16:22, charles wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Simon T wrote:
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer
covered by Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my
property in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous
owner. But as I'm now considering getting rid of it and building a
bigger one, was concerned about tinkering about with the supply.

So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)

You always could, the electricity police aren't waiting around the corner
ready to pounce on anyone breaking the rules

But, a potential problem arises when you come to sell your house.

No "potential" problem I can foresee.

If after the solicitation of a conveyancer and a house survey, any
perceived problem is with the buyer if the seller can't produce an
appropriate sheet of paper or a certificate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Simon T wrote:
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer
covered by Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my
property in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous
owner. But as I'm now considering getting rid of it and building a
bigger one, was concerned about tinkering about with the supply.

So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)

You always could, the electricity police aren't waiting around the
corner ready to pounce on anyone breaking the rules

But, a potential problem arises when you come to sell your house.

No "potential" problem I can foresee.

If after the solicitation of a conveyancer and a house survey, any
perceived problem is with the buyer if the seller can't produce an
appropriate sheet of paper or a certificate.

strange way of looking at it. Many buyers would simply walk away. That
puts the problem on the vendor's lap.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Simon T wrote:
[...]

A difficult purchaser might well walk away, but generally once a mind is
set on a property minor things like Part P compliance is a long way down
the list of importance.

Most house surveys suggest an appropriate gas and electric survey in any
case.

YMMV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 September 2016 18:00:53 UTC+1, Fredxxx wrote:

A difficult purchaser might well walk away, but generally once a mind is
set on a property minor things like Part P compliance is a long way down
the list of importance.

When I moved in, the solicitor asked me if I still wanted to go ahead as there were no fitted drawers in the house anymore as described in the survey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
wrote:
Simon T wrote:
[...]

No one's going to walk away from a £200,000 house because there's a £20
circuit breaker missing from the shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 2016-09-18, charles wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Simon T wrote:
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer
covered by Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my
property in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous
owner. But as I'm now considering getting rid of it and building a
bigger one, was concerned about tinkering about with the supply.

So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)

You always could, the electricity police aren't waiting around the corner
ready to pounce on anyone breaking the rules

But, a potential problem arises when you come to sell your house.

Naah. No-one gives a stuff.

So I guess mine is really bad news. I plug the electrics for my shed
(when ocassionaly required) in to a socket in my porch, the cable goes
outdoors overhead suspended on a wire to my shed.
If I need to sell will just unplug and rip the cable down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 15:56, Simon T wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
If you already have the submain to the shed, then yes. If you need to
install a new circuit from the house CU then it would still be
notifiable.

Oh right, I thought new circuits to outside buildings weren't notifiable?

So, if I had no electric to my shed and wanted to run power to it, I'd
have to take it from a spur from an existing circuit then?

Yup, that's the part P way - its ok to bodge it, but doing it properly
incurs an exercise in paperwork. ;-)

You could (reading the letter of the approved doc) also install a whole
new CU from split tails, just for your garden feed, since that would not
be a replacement! (although you may not be able to install new circuits
from that ;-)

Personally, I find the grin and ignore it approach works well ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Simon T wrote:
[...]

Seems unlikely - especially in the current sellers market.

That
puts the problem on the vendor's lap.

Its pretty much a non issue these days.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
So I guess mine is really bad news. I plug the electrics for my shed
(when ocassionaly required) in to a socket in my porch, the cable goes
outdoors overhead suspended on a wire to my shed.
If I need to sell will just unplug and rip the cable down.

My neice has exactly this setup in place permanently. She runs a chest
freezer and a tumble drier from it, and it's been plugged in for over 6
years without trouble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message ...
ss wrote:
So I guess mine is really bad news. I plug the electrics for my shed
(when ocassionaly required) in to a socket in my porch, the cable goes
outdoors overhead suspended on a wire to my shed.
If I need to sell will just unplug and rip the cable down.

My neice has exactly this setup in place permanently. She runs a chest
freezer and a tumble drier from it, and it's been plugged in for over 6
years without trouble.

As I understood it, provided the supply was plugged in and not wired in, it
was classed as a portable appliance and not notifyable anyway? S

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
charles wrote:
wrote:
Simon T wrote:
[...]

but putting it back in safely might involve digging up the patio and the
garden to run a "safe" feed to the shed.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:

No one's going to walk away from a £200,000 house because there's a
£20 circuit breaker missing from the shed.

but putting it back in safely might involve digging up the patio and
the garden to run a "safe" feed to the shed.

No, like i said earlier, if there was a problem with either buyer or seller
WRT shed electrics, they'd simply be disconnected at the house end which
would satisfy everyone and at a cost of zero pounds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 21:04, charles wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
charles wrote:
wrote:
Simon T wrote:
[...]

So long as its done properly then its a non issue. The worst that
happens is someone gets it tested. The only argument would be who pays
for the testing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 10:14, ARW wrote:
"Simon T" wrote in message
I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer covered by
Part P of the Electrical regs.

When did this happen then????

April 2013, but only in England.

"It also applies to building work carried out on excepted energy
buildings in Wales as defined in the Welsh Ministers (Transfer of
Functions) (No. 2) Order 2009."

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 20:09, ss wrote:

So I guess mine is really bad news. I plug the electrics for my shed
(when ocassionaly required) in to a socket in my porch, the cable goes
outdoors overhead suspended on a wire to my shed.
If I need to sell will just unplug and rip the cable down.

The really bad news is that, had it not been for Part-P, you'd probably
have done it properly - and far more safely!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 20:52, Simon T wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message ...
ss wrote:
So I guess mine is really bad news. I plug the electrics for my shed
(when ocassionaly required) in to a socket in my porch, the cable goes
outdoors overhead suspended on a wire to my shed.
If I need to sell will just unplug and rip the cable down.

My neice has exactly this setup in place permanently. She runs a chest
freezer and a tumble drier from it, and it's been plugged in for over
6 years without trouble.

As I understood it, provided the supply was plugged in and not wired in,
it was classed as a portable appliance and not notifyable anyway? S

I have seen that suggested several times, but generally speaking if its
a permanent installation, making the final connection via a plug does
not really get round the rules as they were at the time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 20:00:01 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

charles wrote:
wrote:
Simon T wrote:
[...]

Or you've lost the paperwork from Safestyle

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 18/09/2016 22:13, John Rumm wrote:
My neice has exactly this setup in place permanently. She runs a chest
freezer and a tumble drier from it, and it's been plugged in for over
6 years without trouble.

My dad also had this set up about 40 years ago and from memory that
would have been rubber insulated cable and it lasted approx 20 years up
until he moved house, he sold the shed prior to that and just unplugged
and took the cable down. The electrics at that time would have been fuse
wire in the mains box and no trip units.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 20:14, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/09/2016 15:56, Simon T wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
If you already have the submain to the shed, then yes. If you need to
install a new circuit from the house CU then it would still be
notifiable.

Oh right, I thought new circuits to outside buildings weren't notifiable?

So, if I had no electric to my shed and wanted to run power to it, I'd
have to take it from a spur from an existing circuit then?

Yup, that's the part P way - its ok to bodge it, but doing it properly
incurs an exercise in paperwork. ;-)

You could (reading the letter of the approved doc) also install a whole
new CU from split tails, just for your garden feed, since that would not
be a replacement! (although you may not be able to install new circuits
from that ;-)

Personally, I find the grin and ignore it approach works well ;-)

It has since Part pee started, the local council even has stock letters
that they issue that state they have no interest in work done without
notification if it was done more than 12 months ago.
They won't prosecute anyone for doing the work, but they will prosecute
if its substandard and dangerous just as they did before part pee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/09/16 16:22, charles wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:

You always could, the electricity police aren't waiting around the corner
ready to pounce on anyone breaking the rules

But, a potential problem arises when you come to sell your house.

I've just sold and bought; solicitors may note the absence of all sorts
of paper-work, you then tell them not to bother, they then write to the
other party "my client is willing to take a view€¦" Nobody cares

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

wrote:

If after the solicitation of a conveyancer and a house survey, any
perceived problem is with the buyer if the seller can't produce an
appropriate sheet of paper or a certificate.

strange way of looking at it. Many buyers would simply walk away. That
puts the problem on the vendor's lap.

There are always other buyers, if someone walks away then the lack of
paperwork is just an excuse, not a real reason.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 13:29, Huge wrote:

And nobody gives a toss. Having just moved house, Part 'P' was never
mentioned, either in the sale or purchase.

"oohhh but what about the insurance?"

I say..... IDGAF

no-one gives a toss about poxy bit's of part-p paper apart from those
making money from issuing them and those making money selling sh1t to
those issuing them.

One big government backed scam like everything where the council is
party to it's "legislation"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2016 16:22, charles wrote:

You always could, the electricity police aren't waiting around the corner
ready to pounce on anyone breaking the rules

But, a potential problem arises when you come to sell your house.

No it doesn't.
You say "do you want to buy the house or not?"

If they say "not without valid Gas Safe and Part-P paperwork" where
applicable)

I'd personally tell them an extra £10k on the price and all certificates
would be provided or they buy "sold as seen" or they **** of and buy
someone else's' house.

No problem, no solution required.