Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quality of Vonhaus tools?

I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.

VonHaus aka DOMU Brands is a made-for-Amazon brand, presumably all made by
contract ODMs in China. I very much doubt they do more than branding and
marketing.

I have no experience of their tools[1] but I wouldn't treat them as much more
than disposable, roughly on or slightly below the level of Aldi, Lidl, etc.
Don't expect to be able to buy spares or get support beyond simple
replacement.

Think of it as slightly more convenient than shopping on Aliexpress.

Theo

[1] I bought a griddle hotplate once. It got hot, but the heating pattern
was sufficiently uneven to be no good for what I wanted it for. While not
very impressive for cooking eggs, its lack of suitability was not entirely
their fault as they didn't advertise it for soldering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02 Apr 2021 12:00:56 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'' give them a miss on that basis.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

So then I bought a used Makita Cordless Jigsaw DJV140RFE 14.4V / 2 x
3.0Ah Li-ion Batteries on eBay. Here's hoping.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

My experience is you can't beat Lidl for budget tools. Snag being they are
only on special offer, so you can't buy them when you want. The three year
money back warranty being better than most. But do keep the receipt in
case. Not that I've ever needed it.

Of course this is for DIY use. If a heavy user, Makita etc likely makes
more sense.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 12:17:39 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

I love Lidl's fresh veg. Not had quite so much luck with the tools,
though that's mainly my fault for not keeping the receipts.
Then again, as you say, if the Lidl tools were there when you wanted
them, that would be more of an inducement.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
My experience is you can't beat Lidl for budget tools. Snag being they are
only on special offer, so you can't buy them when you want. The three year
money back warranty being better than most. But do keep the receipt in
case. Not that I've ever needed it.

Of course this is for DIY use. If a heavy user, Makita etc likely makes
more sense.

I love Lidl's fresh veg. Not had quite so much luck with the tools,
though that's mainly my fault for not keeping the receipts.

Out of interest, what did you buy you didn't have luck with?

Then again, as you say, if the Lidl tools were there when you wanted
them, that would be more of an inducement.

It would, but keeping a stock would make them much more expensive. My
guess is they go to a maker and ask what they have excess capacity for to
get the very best deal. Although they might have the Lidl brand name on
them, they seem to come from lots of makers.

*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
My experience is you can't beat Lidl for budget tools. Snag being they are
only on special offer, so you can't buy them when you want. The three year
money back warranty being better than most. But do keep the receipt in
case. Not that I've ever needed it.

Likewise Aldi. What I like about them is the tools are actually made by a
genuine tools manufacturer (usually German/Austrian/Swiss) whose name is on
the box or in the manual. No doubt they are made in China down to a price
as well, but there is someone in the loop who knows technically about tools
and (might) apply some kind of quality control. There are also typically
spares available like spare batteries.

Meanwhile, the model for someone like VonHaus/DOMU is they go somewhere like
the Yiwu Market in China:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDd10-poMm8
and they strike a deal with an ODM to sell them a container of drills. ODM
manufactures and puts them on a ship. When landing in Felixstowe, the
container goes straight to the Amazon warehouse, from where Amazon will sell
you a drill.

All DOMU has to do is send the purchase orders, do a bit of 'brand
management' (ie encourage some reviews by sending people free items, pay for
some Google ads, wangle their priority in Amazon searches), and collect the
cash. If you have a problem they just refund or send you another one. When
the stock is running low they order another container from whatever ODM they
got a new deal with today. This is how they can stock such a wide variety
of items, because they are just box shippers without caring what's inside.

Which is fine for basic items like tableware, but less good for things like
power tools.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 12:44:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
My experience is you can't beat Lidl for budget tools. Snag being they are
only on special offer, so you can't buy them when you want. The three year
money back warranty being better than most. But do keep the receipt in
case. Not that I've ever needed it.

Of course this is for DIY use. If a heavy user, Makita etc likely makes
more sense.

I love Lidl's fresh veg. Not had quite so much luck with the tools,
though that's mainly my fault for not keeping the receipts.

Out of interest, what did you buy you didn't have luck with?

It was the heavy duty SDS drill. Second time of light use and it
locked up completely. I did write to Lidl about it but as I'd mislaid
the receipt in a house move I didn't get a positive response.

Then again, as you say, if the Lidl tools were there when you wanted
them, that would be more of an inducement.

It would, but keeping a stock would make them much more expensive. My
guess is they go to a maker and ask what they have excess capacity for to
get the very best deal. Although they might have the Lidl brand name on
them, they seem to come from lots of makers.
--

I'm still open to the possibilities but next time I'll take better
care of the receipt.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

ALDIs tape measure lasted 2 days.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 11:33, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.

ye get what ye pay for ...

Electrician Tries The Cheapest Drills On Amazon - CJR Electrical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxjF_Zj0g9E

Also search on youtube "wranglerstar drill test"

He's smoked a few ...

e.g.

Testing The Toughest Cordless Drills On AMAZON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aYmjZIUa8o

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 14:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/04/2021 11:33, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.

ye get what ye pay for ...

..... but often up to a price point. Once you get to certain price paying
more doesn't necessarily get you better quality or performance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2021 21:50, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 14:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/04/2021 11:33, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.

ye get what ye pay for ...

.... but often up to a price point. Once you get to certain price paying
more doesn't necessarily get you better quality or performance.

Hmmm... could be written as 'ye normally get less than ye pay for'

The delight is finding something exceptional that breaks the rule.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/04/2021 21:50, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 14:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/04/2021 11:33, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.

ye get what ye pay for ...

.... but often up to a price point. Once you get to certain price paying
more doesn't necessarily get you better quality or performance.

Hmmm... could be written as 'ye normally get less than ye pay for'

The delight is finding something exceptional that breaks the rule.

.... and in my experience that's not so difficult.

Especially when you search for something on eBay or Amazon and see
what is obviously exactly the same item at wildly different prices.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Apr 2021 at 21:50:33 BST, "alan_m" wrote:

On 02/04/2021 14:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/04/2021 11:33, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.

ye get what ye pay for ...

.... but often up to a price point. Once you get to certain price paying
more doesn't necessarily get you better quality or performance.

But maybe better ethical provenance - impact on animals and environment etc?

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 April 2021 at 11:37:00 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
On 2 Apr 2021 at 21:50:33 BST, "alan_m" wrote:

On 02/04/2021 14:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/04/2021 11:33, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.

ye get what ye pay for ...

.... but often up to a price point. Once you get to certain price paying
more doesn't necessarily get you better quality or performance.

But maybe better ethical provenance - impact on animals and environment etc?

--
Cheers, Rob

The only Vonhaus item I have got is a roller support stand, seems well enough made for the job it has to do. It is fairly light weight folds up easily and although it will not support say an RSJ it is certainly more than adequate to support the timbers I am likely to be cutting to length.

Whilst our kitchen was out of action we bought a single plate 2000W induction hob badged as Vonchef, dont know if it is the same Chinese company but it was a life saver, very fast heating, blink and the pan was boiling.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 12:44:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
My experience is you can't beat Lidl for budget tools. Snag being they are
only on special offer, so you can't buy them when you want. The three year
money back warranty being better than most. But do keep the receipt in
case. Not that I've ever needed it.

Of course this is for DIY use. If a heavy user, Makita etc likely makes
more sense.

I love Lidl's fresh veg. Not had quite so much luck with the tools,
though that's mainly my fault for not keeping the receipts.

Out of interest, what did you buy you didn't have luck with?

It was the heavy duty SDS drill. Second time of light use and it
locked up completely. I did write to Lidl about it but as I'd mislaid
the receipt in a house move I didn't get a positive response.

Ah - right. I bought one of the original De Walt lightweight SDS drills
not long after it first came out (expensive) and it is still fine, so not
needed the Lidl one. I've no need for a heavy duty one.

Then again, as you say, if the Lidl tools were there when you wanted
them, that would be more of an inducement.

It would, but keeping a stock would make them much more expensive. My
guess is they go to a maker and ask what they have excess capacity for to
get the very best deal. Although they might have the Lidl brand name on
them, they seem to come from lots of makers.
--

I'm still open to the possibilities but next time I'll take better
care of the receipt.

I stick them all in a small folder. ;-)

I was doing some brickwork for a new window opening. And decided a 9"
angle grinder would be useful. Not having needed one before looked into
hiring. At about that time Lidl had one on offer. Bought it and a diamond
blade for about the same cost as hiring for a weekend. It did the job, and
a later window too. And has been lent out a few times. And still works
fine. It is soft start too.

I'm certain a Makita would be a better buy for a pro who uses it every
day. But I'd rather have three different tools for the same money for DIY.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 12:25:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 12:44:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

If I manage to adopt your very rational attitude to these matters, I
can only hope I have the same level of luck in doing so.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/04/2021 21:50, alan_m wrote:
On 02/04/2021 14:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/04/2021 11:33, Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.

ye get what ye pay for ...

.... but often up to a price point. Once you get to certain price
paying
more doesn't necessarily get you better quality or performance.

Hmmm... could be written as 'ye normally get less than ye pay for'

The delight is finding something exceptional that breaks the rule.

... and in my experience that's not so difficult.

Especially when you search for something on eBay or Amazon and see
what is obviously exactly the same item at wildly different prices.

The main reason for that is that the listing pricing system
encourages sellers to change the price to high when they
dont currently have stock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 03:58:13 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

Richard about senile Rodent:
"Rod Speed, a bare faced pig and ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Theo" wrote in message
Mike Halmarack wrote:
I'd ideally go for Makita but that be a younger man's investment
strategy.

VonHaus aka DOMU Brands is a made-for-Amazon brand, presumably all made by
contract ODMs in China. I very much doubt they do more than branding and
marketing.

I have no experience of their tools[1] but I wouldn't treat them as much
more
than disposable, roughly on or slightly below the level of Aldi, Lidl,
etc.
Don't expect to be able to buy spares or get support beyond simple
replacement.

We have been impressed with the build quality of our two-wheel wheelbarrow,
although I had to use my common sense because the instructions told me to
fit a couple of bolts upside down: I forget why that was less good than the
way I did it.

But that's for something simple: not electric or petrol-engined.

Their website https://www.vonhaus.com/about-us refers to "our Manchester
head office" but I bet all the support and after-sales is contracted-out to
people whose first language is not English - and not German as the brand
name might suggest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 13:28, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 12:25:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 12:44:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but once you have used a Makita jigsaw you won't ever want to use
a £25 shed special again :-)

With cordless tools, once you have bought into a pro battery platform,
the availability of "body only" tools massively closes the price gap on
many no name cordless tools that usually have to be bought with a
battery and charger for each and every tool.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
With cordless tools, once you have bought into a pro battery platform,
the availability of "body only" tools massively closes the price gap on
many no name cordless tools that usually have to be bought with a
battery and charger for each and every tool.

For quite a while now, Lidl tools can be bought body only. And often with
a choice of battery sizes - and even charger (bought separately)

But of course in a short while they'll change the design.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
With cordless tools, once you have bought into a pro battery platform,
the availability of "body only" tools massively closes the price gap on
many no name cordless tools that usually have to be bought with a
battery and charger for each and every tool.

For quite a while now, Lidl tools can be bought body only. And often with
a choice of battery sizes - and even charger (bought separately)

But of course in a short while they'll change the design.

Or someone will buy all the stock of batts to flog on ebay :-)

I have a Parkside branded (not sure if that is Lidl or Aldi?) tyre
inflater that someone bought me (it came with a HVLP inflator for "blow
up" things as well). The tool quality is not too bad to be fair, and the
battery is serviceable and holds a charge. The charger is a proper slide
on design with a charge light unlike some of them. The main problem
would be the recharge time (hours) is too long for a more intensive use,
and one irritation is lack of a trigger lock on the compressor, so you
need a separate clamp or cable tie when you want to leave it to run for
10 mins on a car tyre.

--
Cheers,

John.

Tools, tools, tools John Husvar Metalworking 62 August 20th 07 01:09 PM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Quality of Ryobi tools (especially router) cyrille de brébisson Woodworking 9 December 5th 04 02:47 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
power tools -- price vs quality? ToolMiser Woodworking 10 August 13th 03 11:18 PM