Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Can anyone identify this strange computer sound?

My W10/64 Pro desktop computer emits a strange squawking noise from time
to time - typically several times a day but sometimes several times in
quick succession.

Each instance is short and sharp, and lasts about 300mS. It is
definitely coming through the audio system rather than being (say) a
disk bearing because its volume depends on the volume control setting,
and I have been able to record it by setting the recording input as
"Stereo Mix".

You can hear it he
https://app.box.com/s/0gtq2lg1eti3z3xfiw898i2b65piq6sp and you can see
the waveform he
https://app.box.com/s/2tewwkwnlqb8uiwiq9glz101rvg4pc4b

I assume that some application or other is trying to tell me something,
but it's never accompanied by any message or notification on the screen,
and I can't find anything in the error logs. In addition, I can't find
any system sound which sounds like this.

I shall be most grateful if someone can put me put me out of my misery
and tell me what's likely to be causing it.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2021 20:31, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

It's looking for passing submarines.

Sorry. It's not a sound that I recognise as a normal PC notification.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

My W10/64 Pro desktop computer emits a strange squawking noise from time
to time
I shall be most grateful if someone can put me put me out of my misery
and tell me what's likely to be causing it.

I don't recognise the sound, but if you right click the speaker icon in
the tray after it's done it, and go to volume mixer, it usually shows
individual sliders for any apps that have recently played sounds, so
look for apps other than the "usual" such as browsers and media players.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 20:31:06 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

It's not a key temporarily sticking down, is it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is the current sound for usb device or USB device failed to initialise.
I have found if you set the settings in some configs, these errors do not
generate the text but still make a noise. I use non standard noises but
maybe its something similar to that, wiggle you usb devices about in the
sockets. I had a sticky caps lock key once that made a sound like that but
it was multiple not just one offs like your recording.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I would check that you haven't caught a virus and that your browser is
closed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2021 20:42, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

That is the closest sound I can think of too. :-)

Sorry. It's not a sound that I recognise as a normal PC notification.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It might be worth running the machine in Safe Mode for a while, to
eliminate some background tasks. My Thunderbird bleeps when a new mail
comes in - perhaps it's something to do with your mail program?
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

A suggestion in the other group, is a Chrome extension.

Only you know what you've got for Chrome Extensions.

Paul