Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rising Main Saga

Same old problem. Rising main to upstairs flat running through my
airing cuboard. Bits of blue pipe, bits of black, with couplers, all
hanging loose, unbracketed.
Management company's plumber says it's fine but it keeps leaking from
different joints.

Though the whole rising main running through the three flats should be
replaced it very likely won't be.

So my question is: if I cut out the whole run through my airing
cupoard leaving a stub coming up through the floor and one poking out
of the ceiling, then put a single length of pipe between the two
is there a better quality joining method, more effective than the
standard couplers to complete the job?
Maybe something resembling heavy duty heatshrink or the like?
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2021 16:56, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Same old problem. Rising main to upstairs flat running through my
airing cuboard. Bits of blue pipe, bits of black, with couplers, all
hanging loose, unbracketed.
Management company's plumber says it's fine but it keeps leaking from
different joints.

Though the whole rising main running through the three flats should be
replaced it very likely won't be.

So my question is: if I cut out the whole run through my airing
cupoard leaving a stub coming up through the floor and one poking out
of the ceiling, then put a single length of pipe between the two
is there a better quality joining method, more effective than the
standard couplers to complete the job?
Maybe something resembling heavy duty heatshrink or the like?

You could try that but not reconnect the ends and then wait for
someone to come along and fix it. :-)

Remind us what you would be cutting - original (?imperial) copper,
black PVC or something else. I don't think you can easily join
black PVC to blue MDPE, especially with those nasty hand-tightened
compression fittings that are used on MDPE these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 17:04:07 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

[...]

Sometimes I'm a bit excessive on the details so I have to try to keep
it brief. I was hoping that blue and black with couplers woud be
enough clues.
As it is, the two stubs would be black, so with black between, the
match might a better one than the current.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Assuming you can find some matching black polythene pipe,
then that might to the trick. The issue will still be the compression
connector used at each end of the 'new' bit'.

I've just crawled into the back of my corner kitchen unit where my
black water pipe comes in and joins to 15mm copper with a connector
that looks a bit like this one (but I don't know if there is an
insert inside the black plastic, and I am not going to undo it to
check :-(

https://plumbinbits.co.uk/product/15...er-with-liner/

Seems a lot for a connector, but it doesn't look like a standard
compression connector. Just needs a short length of 15mm copper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That looks like an interesting possibility.
I'll see if I can incorporate that in the plan, such as it is.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So you have permission to cut the supply to all the flats fed by this while
you do a proper job then?I'd be very very wary in a rental situation.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Halmarack
writes
wrote:

[...]

Have a look at *Johnson couplings*. The *black* pipe may be 1/2"
alkathene.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2021 21:16, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Mike Halmarack
writes
wrote:

[...]

rising main is at least 22m and more commonly bigger

MDPE

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
wrote:

[...]

Black of an unknown age. 1960's mains piping commonly 1/2", 3/4" 1.0"
bores.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 20:51:40 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

So you have permission to cut the supply to all the flats fed by this while
you do a proper job then?I'd be very very wary in a rental situation.
Brian

No, I don't have permission to do this but I am considerate enough to
apply for it before doing such a job.

I don't think my flat would be considered a rented property but I
wouldn't want to complicate the issue by getting into that unless
absolutely necessary.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I must get that vernier gauge from Lidl. Hope they've still got one.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 21:16:51 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

Johnson couplings

Great quality piece of kit if the price is anything to go by.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Johnson couplings

Great quality piece of kit if the price is anything to go by.

I think that's what the guy used when the incoming main gave way into
ours years ago.

It was in 3/4" galv steel 'gas barrel' and had rusted so thin, using
the stopcock in the back garden was enough to cause it to fracture (on
the incoming side) and so instant pond. ;-(

He turned it off in the road, dug down to the pipe and fitted a double
ended 'coupler' over the damaged area (still pretty rusty and gnarly),
tightened it up and that was job done (to my surprise).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 5:04:12 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Farm shops used to sell couplings sepcificall for that purpose.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Johnson couplings

Great quality piece of kit if the price is anything to go by.

First bit of plumbing I ever did was with one of those. Connected a lead
rising main to copper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Halmarack
writes

wrote:

[...]

Wind a bit of string round ten times and work it out from the length?:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2021 08:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 29/03/2021 21:16, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Mike
HalmarackÂ* writes
wrote:

[...]

Â*Have a look at *Johnson couplings*. The *black* pipe may be 1/2"
alkathene.

rising main is at least 22m and more commonly bigger

MDPE

Black of an unknown age. 1960's mains piping commonly 1/2", 3/4" 1.0"
bores.

1/2" bore is completely useless. Can't even supply a single tap
properly. Wont be used to supply a block of flats

Even 3/4" is marginal for a single household. 25mm MDPE is the standard
today and I would expect whatever the OP has to be in dire need ofr
ripping out and replacing with simply that...

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well, yes, but to this level of accuracy, what's wrong with e.g. a screw
clamp applied, then removed and measured with a tape measure?

IIRC most rising mains today are 25mm blue MDPE - and the couplers for
that work very well.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

plenty of old houses still have 1/2" internal diameter lead supply pipes
joined to 15mm copper - even where converted to flats - without
practical problems where water pressure is maintained.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

He is living in a block of flats built in the 1960's. That stuff
didn't exist then. Keep up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My 1976 house has black 'plastic' pipework connected to 15mm
copper under the sink. That's how they did it back then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2021 11:30, Jonathan wrote:
[...]

You get a mixture of blue and black on farms, all sorts of stuff in my
local Mole Valley. They sort of seem expensive especially if you have to
buy a collection of bits, but once you realise they let you do a
permanent job in minutes (up a ladder in a barn or in a muddy field)
with rudimentary tools you realise they are good value after all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes

wrote:

[...]

Has he said that? I guessed '60's because I knew black imperial sized
alkathene was in use then.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 13:32:28 +0100, newshound
wrote:

[...]

There's quite a lot of mixed blue and black when you look up from
under Sandown Pier and it doesnt seem to be leaking. Wish I could say
the same about my airing cupboard.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 14:08:29 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Andrew
writes

wrote:

[...]

Early 70's really, if that would make much difference.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I am beginning to wonder if a simple lack of inserts inside the
ends of the black stuff is the problem ?. You would have to dismantle
it to prove one way or the other though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2021 13:32, newshound wrote:
[...]

Isnt the Black version the same as the Blue but with a UV inhibitor added.
I used to use the Black where exposed to sunlight and the Blue were
buried as it was cheaper in the 1990's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

After much haranguing, the management company plumber came around
yesterday with a handful of "new style, super quality" connectors and
lengths of blue pipe. He converted the black and blue cocktail of
pipework to all blue.

I hope that's cured the leakage problem but I must say that there are
now so many connectors that the rising main pipework looks like a
string of rosary beads.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Apr 2021 17:13:35 +0100, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

snip

I hope that's cured the leakage problem but I must say that there are
now so many connectors that the rising main pipework looks like a
string of rosary beads.

Hehe!

Cheers, T i m

Replacing Rising Main? None UK diy 71 November 12th 07 07:07 PM
Rising main...or not? Ben UK diy 9 March 2nd 07 07:07 PM
Air Lock in cold 'rising main' Mark Carver UK diy 3 May 5th 06 01:03 PM
Moving a rising main that's under a suspended concrete floor Mitch UK diy 2 August 8th 04 01:44 PM
Rising Main Water Pressure Vortex UK diy 16 May 12th 04 01:47 PM