Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default Rising Main Saga

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 5:04:12 PM UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 29/03/2021 16:56, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Same old problem. Rising main to upstairs flat running through my
airing cuboard. Bits of blue pipe, bits of black, with couplers, all
hanging loose, unbracketed.
Management company's plumber says it's fine but it keeps leaking from
different joints.

Though the whole rising main running through the three flats should be
replaced it very likely won't be.

So my question is: if I cut out the whole run through my airing
cupoard leaving a stub coming up through the floor and one poking out
of the ceiling, then put a single length of pipe between the two
is there a better quality joining method, more effective than the
standard couplers to complete the job?
Maybe something resembling heavy duty heatshrink or the like?

You could try that but not reconnect the ends and then wait for
someone to come along and fix it. :-)

Remind us what you would be cutting - original (?imperial) copper,
black PVC or something else. I don't think you can easily join
black PVC to blue MDPE, especially with those nasty hand-tightened
compression fittings that are used on MDPE these days.

Farm shops used to sell couplings sepcificall for that purpose.

Jonathan