Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double socket connecters bigger for 3 wires?

I'm trying to get 3 wires into an electrical double socket,
6mm, 4mm and 4mm
and making a bit of a mess with exposed copper showing.

Is there a technique to doing this?
maybe tape the wires together before inserting?
or remove a few strands of copper?

They feed 5 double sockets in one room, radial.

Is there a double socket with bigger connection terminals?

Or must I gouge the walls and rewire them somehow?

I dont want to have hidden junction boxes under the floorboards or anywhere in my house

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2021 13:25, Owain Lastname wrote:
On Wednesday, 24 March 2021 at 13:18:14 UTC, wrote:
I'm trying to get 3 wires into an electrical double socket,
6mm, 4mm and 4mm
and making a bit of a mess with exposed copper showing.

I doubt there are any sockets that will take larger than 3 x 4mm and even that will be a push.

You'll probably have to use terminal strip and pigtail to the socket.

I wonder how big a botch it would be to crimp a /very/ short length of
4mm onto the 6mm (with the crimp inside the back box) given it's not as
if the whole current would flow through the 4mm without a heat sink.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
I'm trying to get 3 wires into an electrical double socket,
6mm, 4mm and 4mm
and making a bit of a mess with exposed copper showing.

Not surprising. 13 amp sockets must be fitted to regs. And the terminals
made for 3 x 2.5mm, or 2 x 4mm. IIRC, you can spur one socket off a
radial, but then 2.5mm would be fine.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
I'm trying to get 3 wires into an electrical double socket,
6mm, 4mm and 4mm
and making a bit of a mess with exposed copper showing.

Not surprising. 13 amp sockets must be fitted to regs. And the terminals
made for 3 x 2.5mm, or 2 x 4mm. IIRC, you can spur one socket off a
radial, but then 2.5mm would be fine.

though, as Owain mentioned, some are spec'd for up to 3 x 4 mm (or 2 x
6mm stranded)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2021 13:18, George Miles wrote:
I'm trying to get 3 wires into an electrical double socket,
6mm, 4mm and 4mm
and making a bit of a mess with exposed copper showing.

The GET Ultimate sockets from TLC (Schnider branded) claim to have about
16mm^2 of terminal capacity - but even there you may find that lot a
challenge

Is there a technique to doing this?
maybe tape the wires together before inserting?

Dressing the wires so they arrive at the terminal straight and together
can help, as will a deep backbox.

You may find that doing the terminations in a wago, with a flylead to
the socket is easier.

or remove a few strands of copper?

No, really not!

They feed 5 double sockets in one room, radial.

Is there a double socket with bigger connection terminals?

See above

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 06:25:43 -0700 (PDT), Owain Lastname
wrote:

On Wednesday, 24 March 2021 at 13:18:14 UTC, wrote:
I'm trying to get 3 wires into an electrical double socket,
6mm, 4mm and 4mm
and making a bit of a mess with exposed copper showing.

I doubt there are any sockets that will take larger than 3 x 4mm and even that will be a push.

You'll probably have to use terminal strip and pigtail to the socket.

Is this permitted (assuming the correct rating is used)? I thought
these terminal blocks were regarded as a botch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

or remove a few strands of copper?

No, really not!

They feed 5 double sockets in one room, radial.

Is there a double socket with bigger connection terminals?

See above

I don't see the need for the 6mm cable, even for a 32 amp radial
surely 4mm is sufficient, it's certainly what the OSG specifies isn't
it? (Unless there's a very long feed to the room)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/03/2021 17:14, Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

or remove a few strands of copper?

No, really not!

They feed 5 double sockets in one room, radial.

Is there a double socket with bigger connection terminals?

See above

I don't see the need for the 6mm cable, even for a 32 amp radial
surely 4mm is sufficient, it's certainly what the OSG specifies isn't
it?

(Unless there's a very long feed to the room)

Or was already there!

I would try wagos and a flylead.

If needs be just put two of the existing cables into the wago and one
into the socket.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2021 14:20, Robin wrote:
On 24/03/2021 13:25, Owain Lastname wrote:
On Wednesday, 24 March 2021 at 13:18:14 UTC, wrote:
I'm trying to get 3 wires into an electrical double socket,
6mm, 4mm and 4mm
and making a bit of a mess with exposed copper showing.

I doubt there are any sockets that will take larger than 3 x 4mm and
even that will be a push.

You'll probably have to use terminal strip and pigtail to the socket.

I wonder how big a botch it would be to crimp a /very/ short length of
4mm onto the 6mm (with the crimp inside the back box) given it's not as
if the whole current would flow through the 4mm without a heat sink.

You can legitimately reduce wire size so long as the circuit protection
is sized correctly for the protection of the new smaller wire size.
(which is in this case it probably already is)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've decided:
2 Wagos for line and neutral in the back box.
Earths are thinner so all fit into the double socket.

Thanks for the advice.

I havent yet calculated the correct MCB sizes for all the circuits,
some are still evolving.

There's still one old rubbery wire to a light switch!

Thanks for advices

George

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:39:53 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2021 11:51, George Miles wrote:
I've decided:
2 Wagos for line and neutral in the back box.
Earths are thinner so all fit into the double socket.

Thanks for the advice.

I havent yet calculated the correct MCB sizes for all the circuits,
some are still evolving.

Most will likely be "standard" circuits I would have thought.

There's still one old rubbery wire to a light switch!

IME most of those are "well past shagged" by now :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2021 11:51, George Miles wrote:
I've decided:
2 Wagos for line and neutral in the back box.
Earths are thinner so all fit into the double socket.

Thanks for the advice.

I havent yet calculated the correct MCB sizes for all the circuits,
some are still evolving.

There's still one old rubbery wire to a light switch!

well when my cousin and I found that sort of wiring in our
Grandmothers house in the 1970's, just looking at it seemed to
make all the exposed rubber just crumble away to dust. Cousin
(GPO apprentice) did an emergency rewire + new CU.

Thanks for advices

George

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 29/03/2021 11:51, George Miles wrote:
I've decided:
2 Wagos for line and neutral in the back box.
Earths are thinner so all fit into the double socket.

Thanks for the advice.

I havent yet calculated the correct MCB sizes for all the circuits,
some are still evolving.

There's still one old rubbery wire to a light switch!

well when my cousin and I found that sort of wiring in our
Grandmothers house in the 1970's, just looking at it seemed to
make all the exposed rubber just crumble away to dust. Cousin
(GPO apprentice) did an emergency rewire + new CU.

Thanks for advices

George

When we moved into this house in 1977, some of the wiring was lead sheathed
-with a live sheath! That was in the bathroom !

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 29/03/2021 11:51, George Miles wrote:
I've decided:
2 Wagos for line and neutral in the back box.
Earths are thinner so all fit into the double socket.

Thanks for the advice.

I havent yet calculated the correct MCB sizes for all the circuits,
some are still evolving.

There's still one old rubbery wire to a light switch!

well when my cousin and I found that sort of wiring in our
Grandmothers house in the 1970's, just looking at it seemed to
make all the exposed rubber just crumble away to dust. Cousin
(GPO apprentice) did an emergency rewire + new CU.

Thanks for advices

George

When we moved into this house in 1977, some of the wiring was lead
sheathed -with a live sheath! That was in the bathroom !

Mine had loads of lead too, but nominally earthed. Bare copper wire
wrapped round the lead at any joints, etc, and connected to the mains
water pipe by the fusebox.

Where a connection had been made, the insulation was a bit fragile. But
cut the cable back a bit (out of curiosity) and it was in perfect
condition.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter