Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fwd: Odd screensaver behaviour

No response so far from the Windows community - maybe uk.d-i-y can help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd screensaver behaviour

Surely this is because the screens are shared and the screensaver happens to
be over one side more than the other?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Roger Mills" wrote in message

No response so far from the Windows community - maybe uk.d-i-y can help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2021 18:20, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

How does Windows know where you monitors are ??.
If Windows is treating both as one big monitor, having one in
landscape and t'other in portrait is going to confuse it anyway,
surely ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2021 18:36, Andrew wrote:
[...]

You tell it that when you set it up for dual displays - it needs to
know, so that when you move the cursor off the right edge of the left
screen, it moves onto the left edge of the right screen and vice-vera or
to display a window that is straddling the two screens.

If Windows is treating both as one big monitor, having one in
landscape and t'other in portrait is going to confuse it anyway,
surely ?.

It doesn't quite treat them as one big monitor. On my own (working from
home) setup, I have the laptop (1920x1048) on my left and my personal
monitor (2560x1440) in front of me - okay, both landscape, but the
different resolutions have the same effect.

If you zoom a window to full screen, it zooms to the full extent of the
screen that it is (mainly) on, not across both screens. If you drag a
window to straddle the gap, it acts like an L-shaped monitor - so
something that is almost the full height of my laptop screen with only
cover around 2/3 the height of my main monitor. Indeed trying to move
left off my main monitor onto the laptop screen only works on the top
2/3 of the monitor, with the cursor getting stuck at the left edge for
the bottom third.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

See Steve Walker's answer to that.

The odd thing is that if I lie and tell it that the portrait monitor is
on the right even though it's really on the left, the screensaver works ok.

But then the mouse cursor doesn't move from one monitor to the other in
the way it should.

But why the difference in behavior depending on which way round (it
thinks) the monitors are?

If Windows is treating both as one big monitor, having one in
landscape and t'other in portrait is going to confuse it anyway,
surely ?.

It works ok for most apps - you can move then from monitor to monitor
and resize them to suit or even (less satisfactorily) have then
straddling monitors. Straddling is what the screensaver does with the
monitors one way round but not the other way. Why?

I suspect it may depend on which is the "main" monitor - but don't
understand why.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I read an article that screen savers are being slowly being removed from
Windows as few people use them, preferring to power down the monitor
when not in use. I haven't used a screen saver in years.

There should be some third part applications where you can specify which
picture goes on what monitor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

I use a black screen saver. no artifacts with those.

There should be some third part applications where you can specify which
picture goes on what monitor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 08:32:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I read an article that screen savers are being slowly being removed from
Windows as few people use them, preferring to power down the monitor when
not in use. I haven't used a screen saver in years.

I use a black screen saver. no artifacts with those.

NOBODY asked you what screensaver you use, senile asshole!

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2021 18:20, Roger Mills wrote:

I've set up a screensaver

What for?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I would imagine its down to the screen saver and how its designed. If
it has no ability to do anything but a default to, say the left if there is
a strange other monitor, that is what it will do. When you swap them you
force it to compromise since its not used to that opposite config. When you
say screensaver, is this the built in windows one or some third party one?
I doubt you are going to get much since here really. after all there are
not many L shaped slides about in the first place with thehigher bit on the
left. Back when I could see we tried to do what you mention, and believe me
it was no mean task on crt monitors either, and the screensaver always went
to the landscape, blacking out the other one, so I'm surprised it is
actually attempting to use both in any case.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 21/03/2021 18:36, Andrew wrote:
On 21/03/2021 18:20, Roger Mills wrote:

No response so far from the Windows community - maybe uk.d-i-y can help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I never really saw the need for it just black the screen out surely?

Does anyone remember the one with the island that went through days nd
nights with the little castaway who did various things and ships would come
by and he would always miss them etc?

"williamwright" wrote in message
On 21/03/2021 18:20, Roger Mills wrote:

I've set up a screensaver

What for?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2021 18:20, Roger Mills wrote:

No response so far from the Windows community - maybe uk.d-i-y can help?

I've just set up a new W10 desktop machine with two monitors - the main
one landscape for general use and the second one portrait for displaying
A4 sized documents in actual size. For obvious reasons, the monitors are
configured as "Extended these displays" rather than "Duplicate these
displays".

I've set up a screensaver in the form of a photo slide show. When the

Is this the standard windows slide show or a third party one?

portrait monitor is on the right and the screensaver cuts in, its screen
goes blank and the slideshow takes place on the main (landscape) monitor
- which is fine.

However, when the portrait monitor is on the left and the screensaver
cuts in, the photos are half on each monitor with black space outboard
of them.

What happens of you put the landscape on the left, but reduce its
resolution such that its horizontal pixel count is no more than the
horizontal count of the other display when in portrait mode (assuming
you can - you may not be able to get it low enough)?

I was just wondering if this "feature" was just a response to the screen
saver finding a resolution less than it expected / desired on the
primary display.

Next test, what happens if you position the screens as you want, but
swap the *physical* interfaces driving them?

Anyone come across this, and any suggestions for fixing it? [OK I could
put the portrait monitor on the right but I really *want* it on the left].

In theory no reason why it should not work - but that is in theory.
Sometimes a bit of experimentation is required.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

How does Windows know where you monitors are ??.
If Windows is treating both as one big monitor, having one in
landscape and t'other in portrait is going to confuse it anyway,
surely ?.

You can rotate the monitors, or, the monitor has hardware support
for orientation (a "ball bearing orientation switch" in the panel,
changes state when you rotate the display to Portrait and the
EDID declaration does something appropriate to signal the change
to the OS).

https://www.howtogeek.com/666239/how...on-windows-10/

The best panel for setup, is likely to be the AMD or NVidia control panel,
because modes are available which Windows doesn't particularly
support. For example, Eyefinity takes three monitors of equal
dimension (1920x1080) and makes a 5760x1080 surface from it.
And if you play a computer game, the game makes textures as if
playing on a 5760x1080 monitor. Games don't support arbitrary
texture size, so not all games are willing to go that far.

Eyefinity and NVidia Surround, go to six monitors and two
display channels (all coming off a *single* video card). Way back
when, the notion of display channels was introduced to video cards,
and there were two display channels. Sometimes, you'd see two entries
in Device Manager because of it. If a display channel failed (sometimes
a driver only installed half the video card) then
when playing a game or using OpenGL or something, you'd have an
acceleration failure related to the channels. If it wasn't for
mis-behaving, we'd never even know those logical things were
present. Alt-tabbing out of a game, may use the second logical
display channel. There are many possibilities.

+-----------+-----------+-----------+
+-----------+-----------+-----------+

+-----------+-----------+-----------+
+-----------+-----------+-----------+

That's an example of what you can get out of one, high end video
card (maybe a Titan), and the representation there might only be known to
NVidia or AMD, and Windows might think there are two monitors like this.
This is how my high-end config looks in the Windows panel for it.
After the AMD panel set it up.

+------------------------------------+
| +-----------+ |
| | 1 | |
| +-----------+ |
| +-----------+ |
| | 2 | |
| +-----------+ |
+------------------------------------+

The tables on the NVidia site, also referred to four monitor
configs, with one monitor being an "orphan of sorts". Like this.
That's how a previous generation handled video card faceplates
with a lot of connectors.

+-----------+-----------+-----------+
| | | |
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
+-----------+-----------+-----------+

+-----------+
| |
| 4 |
+-----------+

There is really "endless dribble" on this topic and
what happens at the crossbar, inside the video card.

Windows also supports two video cards (without SLI)
and four monitors. When I tested that, in *mid session*,
the two cards swapped identities and the screen
****ed up. It was... pretty funny at the time.
What do you do then ? Will the monitors arbitrarily
flip back tomorrow ? I took the setup apart.

There are also third-party softwares for this. I always
get a kick out of the customer pictures here. The hardware
profile is listed below the picture. Since Windows 10 has
had some of the snot kicked out of it, I don't know if
you can do these any more or not.

https://www.realtimesoft.com/multimo...lse&m on=desc

Now, if I were the developer at Microsoft, I'd get the
screensaver working on one monitor, then just... go for
a beer. End of story. Who wants to spend the extra ten
minutes making it work on everything ? Like, imagine
the Realtimesoft sample setup, with a 2560x1600 spread over
that many monitors.

This should really be a doddle to do, because the
"background" of the desktop, is a rectangular area
spanning all the monitors. You could spew a picture
from your folder, over that rectangular area and
this job would be done. It really should not be hard
to do, and the property (dimensions of virtual area)
are known to SnippingTool, as an example. If you use
SnippingTool, and ask it to capture the entire desktop,
it will capture a rectangle as big as "all the monitor
areas defined and then some".

+------------+---------+ With my two monitors,
+------------+ |
| green | green | The lower-left area is
+------------+---------+ "not representable".

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2021 06:07, williamwright wrote:
On 21/03/2021 18:20, Roger Mills wrote:

I've set up a screensaver

What for?

Bill

It's on my wife's new computer. When she is in the same room but not
using the computer she likes to see a random selection of her
photographic masterpieces on the screen.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2021 09:22, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/03/2021 18:20, Roger Mills wrote:

No response so far from the Windows community - maybe uk.d-i-y can help?

I've just set up a new W10 desktop machine with two monitors - the
main one landscape for general use and the second one portrait for
displaying A4 sized documents in actual size. For obvious reasons, the
monitors are configured as "Extended these displays" rather than
"Duplicate these displays".

I've set up a screensaver in the form of a photo slide show. When the

Is this the standard windows slide show or a third party one?

It's the standard built-in windows slide show.

portrait monitor is on the right and the screensaver cuts in, its
screen goes blank and the slideshow takes place on the main
(landscape) monitor - which is fine.

However, when the portrait monitor is on the left and the screensaver
cuts in, the photos are half on each monitor with black space outboard
of them.

What happens of you put the landscape on the left, but reduce its
resolution such that its horizontal pixel count is no more than the
horizontal count of the other display when in portrait mode (assuming
you can - you may not be able to get it low enough)?

I haven't tested that specifically. But, with the landscape on the left,
it worked as desired anyway, with the pictures just on the landscape
monitor.

HOWEVER, I have now made the portrait monitor on the left the "main"
monitor, and the screensaver pictures are now entirely on that.

I was just wondering if this "feature" was just a response to the screen
saver finding a resolution less than it expected / desired on the
primary display.

It seems to have more to do with which is the principal monitor
regardless of resolution or orientation. If the principal is on the
left, the photos are just of that but, if it is on the right, the photos
straddle the monitors.

Next test, what happens if you position the screens as you want, but
swap the *physical* interfaces driving them?

Can't do that. The computer has VGA and HDMI but only one of the
monitors supports HDMI.

Anyone come across this, and any suggestions for fixing it? [OK I
could put the portrait monitor on the right but I really *want* it on
the left].

In theory no reason why it should not work - but that is in theory.
Sometimes a bit of experimentation is required.

I still wonder whether there's a setting somewhere which I'm missing.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2021 09:47, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 21:03:43 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

[...]

There is however still the idea of a locked/unlocked display - and what
it shows.

I have an option when waking up the monitor from sleep you enter your
password. It was normally enabled by default.

If you find "Screen Saver Settings", there is a tick-box for "On resume,
display log-on screen". Mine is unticked.

Not sure if that helps as it's a feature I don't use. I will typically
manually lock the PC. [Win]-L

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2021 15:11, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

This used to work fine for me with Win 7/32 Pro but the free upgrade
to Win 10/32 seems to have messed this up. My monitor now goes into
shutdown at the point where a screensaver kicks in. Then moving the
mouse or pressing enter should send a wakeup command to the
monitor but it ignores it. I had to power the monitor off and on, so
I changed it to display a screensaver instead. This does respond to
a mouse/keyboard movement and I have to login again which is how I
prefer it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Win 10 doesn't always send a 'wakeup' command to the monitor.

oh, how does it attempt to send video without hsync or vsync?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2021 13:52, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Win 10 doesn't always send a 'wakeup' command to the monitor.

oh, how does it attempt to send video without hsync or vsync?

PAss. All I know is the monitor seems to power off completely
and sometimes it would wakeup showing "resolution searching"
in the top right hand corner with the selected resolution but
more often than not it wouldn't, requiring a physical power
cycle. I'm not sure if the monitor was off or in some sort of
sleep state. It's a 13 YO Hazro 1920*1200 monitor.

It's not an issue I have just reverted to a screen saver and
it's a desktop so I am not concerned about saving power.

Andrew