Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

Default New BBC and Absolute radio streaming URLS

For people who just want to listen and not go through the faff of 3rd
party programs or hardware

this is stripped from my updated media server code but you can work out
what's up....

"Classic FM"="http://media-ice.musicradio.com/ClassicFMMP3",
"Absolute Radio"="http://ais.absoluteradio.co.uk/absoluteradio.mp3",
"Absolute Classic
Rock"="http://ais.absoluteradio.co.uk/absoluteclassicrock.mp3",
"Absolute Radio 60s"="http://ais.absoluteradio.co.uk/absolute60s.mp3",
"Absolute Radio 70s"="http://ais.absoluteradio.co.uk/absolute70s.mp3",
"Absolute Radio 80s"="http://ais.absoluteradio.co.uk/absolute80s.mp3",
"Absolute Radio 90s"="http://ais.absoluteradio.co.uk/absolute90s.mp3",
"Absolute Radio 00s"="http://ais.absoluteradio.co.uk/absolute00s.mp3",
"LBC UK" = "http://media-ice.musicradio.com:80/LBCUKMP3Low",
"BBC - Radio 1"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_one",
"BBC - Radio 2"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_two",
"BBC - Radio 3"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_three",
"BBC - Radio 4"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_fourfm",
"BBC - Radio 5 live (UK
only)"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_five_live",
"BBC - Radio 5 live
(non-UK)"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_five_live_online_nonuk",
"BBC - Radio 6 Music"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_6music",
"BBC - Radio 1Xtra"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_1xtra",
"BBC - Radio 4
Extra"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_four_extra",
"BBC - Radio 5 Live sports extra (UK
only)"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_five_live_sports_extra",
"BBC - Radio Asian
Network"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_asian_network",
"BBC - BBC World
Service"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_world_service",
"BBC - BBC
CWR"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_coventry_warwickshire",
"BBC - BBC Essex"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_essex",
"BBC - BBC Hereford
Worcester"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_hereford_worcester",
"BBC - Radio
Berkshire"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_berkshire",
"BBC - Radio
Bristol"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_bristol",
"BBC - Radio
Cambridge"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_cambridge",
"BBC - Radio
Cornwall"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_cornwall",
"BBC - Radio
Cumbria"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_cumbria",
"BBC - Radio Cymru"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_cymru",
"BBC - Radio Cymru
2"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_cymru_2",
"BBC - Radio Derby"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_derby",
"BBC - Radio Devon"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_devon",
"BBC - Radio Foyle"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_foyle",
"BBC - Radio
Gloucestershire"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_gloucestershire",
"BBC - Radio
Guernsey"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_guernsey",
"BBC - Radio
Humberside"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_humberside",
"BBC - Radio
Jersey"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_jersey",
"BBC - Radio Kent"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_kent",
"BBC - Radio
Lancashire"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_lancashire",
"BBC - Radio Leeds"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_leeds",
"BBC - Radio
Leicester"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_leicester",
"BBC - Radio
Lincolnshire"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_lincolnshire",
"BBC - Radio London"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_london",
"BBC - Radio
Manchester"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_manchester",
"BBC - Radio
Merseyside"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_merseyside",
"BBC - Radio nan
Gaidheal"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_nan_gaidheal",
"BBC - Radio
Newcastle"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_newcastle",
"BBC - Radio
Norfolk"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_norfolk",
"BBC - Radio
Northampton"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_northampton",
"BBC - Radio
Nottingham"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_nottingham",
"BBC - Radio
Orkney"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_orkney",
"BBC - Radio
Oxford"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_oxford",
"BBC - Radio Scotland
FM"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_scotland_fm",
"BBC - Radio Scotland
MW"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_scotland_mw",
"BBC - Radio
Sheffield"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_sheffield",
"BBC - Radio
Shropshire"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_shropshire",
"BBC - Radio
Solent"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_solent",
"BBC - Radio Solent West
Dorset"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_solent_west_dorset",
"BBC - Radio Somerset
Sound"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_somerset_sound",
"BBC - Radio Stoke"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_stoke",
"BBC - Radio
Suffolk"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_suffolk",
"BBC - Radio
Surrey"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_surrey",
"BBC - Radio
Sussex"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_sussex",
"BBC - Radio Tees"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_tees",
"BBC - Radio
Ulster"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_ulster",
"BBC - Radio
Wales"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_wales_fm",
"BBC - Radio
Wiltshire"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_wiltshire",
"BBC - Radio WM"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_wm",
"BBC - Radio York"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_york",
"BBC - Three Counties
Radio"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_three_counties_radio"

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

For people who just want to listen and not go through the faff of 3rd
party programs or hardware

Ohh that works good, but where's Times Radio?

Bill
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

williamwright wrote:

Ohh that works good, but where's Times Radio?

https://timesradio.wireless.radio/stream
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 13/03/2021 16:46, williamwright wrote:
For people who just want to listen and not go through the faff of 3rd
party programs or hardware

Ohh that works good, but where's Times Radio?

http://timesradio.wireless.radio/stream?ref=rf

Bill

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

For people who just want to listen and not go through the faff of 3rd
party programs or hardware

It's not D-I-Y but I use http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/default.asp
because it offers the choice of the different codecs and different
quality streams incl HLS

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/mp3.asp
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/other.asp
etc

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 13:11:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society,
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that
authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frdric Bastiat"

Yup, especially re the *trillions* of animals we needlessly kill and
exploit every year and often treat in ways that would gain you
societal hatred and possibly a prison sentence if you treated *some*
animals the exact same way.

https://ibb.co/ZVXLsjL

Hypocrisy, logical inconsistency and cognitive dissonance at it's
worst.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society,
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that
authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frédéric Bastiat"

Yup, especially re the *trillions* of animals we needlessly kill and
exploit every year and often treat in ways that would gain you
societal hatred and possibly a prison sentence if you treated *some*
animals the exact same way.

Since you are aware that the figures you quote are implausible (since
that would require that every man woman child and baby on the planet
consume thousands of animals each per year), why do keep repeating
nonsense like this?

Hypocrisy, logical inconsistency and cognitive dissonance at it's
worst.

Ah, sorry I missed that bit - yes you are right, that does explain your
problem.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society,
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that
authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frdric Bastiat"

Yup, especially re the *trillions* of animals we needlessly kill and
exploit every year and often treat in ways that would gain you
societal hatred and possibly a prison sentence if you treated *some*
animals the exact same way.

Since you are aware that the figures you quote are implausible (since
that would require that every man woman child and baby on the planet
consume thousands of animals each per year), why do keep repeating
nonsense like this?

Because they are facts mate (and who mentioned 'consume')? Please try
to put brain in gear ... ;-)

https://www.anonymousforthevoiceless.org/kill-counter

Hypocrisy, logical inconsistency and cognitive dissonance at it's
worst.

Ah, sorry I missed that bit - yes you are right, that does explain your
problem.

Ah, my problem', the needless suffering and slaughter of trillions of
animals every year and all the negative side effects that go with it
are 'my problem' are they? I wonder what explains your drive for
denial then ... or why it would really matter if it were trillions or
just billions?

What were we discussing about left brainers, numbers and missing the
spirit of the point? ;-(

I wonder if you having family involved in the whole animal
exploitation process would have anything to do with your attempt to
spread FUD? ;-(

https://faunalytics.org/animal-advocacy-by-numbers/

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 13/03/2021 17:40, Robin wrote:
For people who just want to listen and not go through the faff of 3rd
party programs or hardware

It's not D-I-Y but I use http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/default.asp
because it offers the choice of the different codecs and different
quality streams incl HLS

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/mp3.asp
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/other.asp
etc

yes. I found that site - a good source.
My issue was to create a unified interface to live radio and TV,
recorded material - music and DVD and off air TV - that would be
globally accessible.

So I could ditch DVD plates, CD players. radio tuners etc etc and just
run everything of networked devices .

That list was what went into the code

--
Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,

Ludwig von Mises
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society,
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that
authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

Frédéric Bastiat"

Yup, especially re the *trillions* of animals we needlessly kill and
exploit every year and often treat in ways that would gain you
societal hatred and possibly a prison sentence if you treated *some*
animals the exact same way.

What is it withy fanatical vegans. Really "trillions" of animals.

Are we talking of ants, insects or some other small single celled creatures?

On the other hand,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_slaughter

It seems only 1/14 of your trillion animals (less if you claim
trillions) are slaughtered for meat and meat products, so best think of
other candidates for your small minded abuse?

https://ibb.co/ZVXLsjL

Hypocrisy, logical inconsistency and cognitive dissonance at it's
worst.

You are the near perfect example of hypocrisy, logical inconsistency and
cognitive dissonance. Many fanatical vegans will tell you it is all 3
when you keep pets for your own personal gratification.

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

wrote:

For people who just want to listen and not go through the faff of 3rd
party programs or hardware

this is stripped from my updated media server code but you can work out
what's up....

"BBC - Radio 4"="http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_fourfm",

I've tried only this URL; it's MP3 at 128 kbps, not the higher
quality AAC at 320 kbps. I presume that the same applies to all
the BBC URLs.
--
Roger
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

So on those where the international feed is different from the UK what is
the difference content wise? Also why is it every few years or sooner quite
often radio services feel the need to alter their streaming addresses? Is
there some new tech they want to take advantage of? Its going to be a pain
till all the aggregators catch up particularly with the bbc ones.
Also somebody at tune in wants to grow some balls and challenge the ruling
on paying a licence for stations they have links to outside the UK, since if
you follow that logic through and there are several aggregators showing the
same station the record industry would get several payments for the same
station, but instead Tune In hands elected to pull he links in the uk, which
stopws you playing the stations, which I'm sure was not the real intention
as media companies want to plug their content surely?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Frdric Bastiat

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

Brian Gaff wrote:

So on those where the international feed is different from the UK what is
the difference content wise?

possibly certain content will be disallowed (e.g sporting events where
they only have uk broadcast rights) and perhaps bitrate is lower for
listeners outside the uk?

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

In article ,

Brian Gaff (Sofa) says...

Its going to be a pain
till all the aggregators catch up particularly with the bbc ones.

Airable has done so.
https://www.airablenow.com/airable/radio/

The 320k BBC stream now identifies as BBC Radio 3 HD

This on my Yamaha AVR which uses Airable after a change from VTuner with
a firmware update a couple of years ago

Internet radio lags behind FM by a few seconds. Switching from FM on the
last Pip of the time signal I catch the last couple of pips from the
net.

--
Ken
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 13:11:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
[...]

Hard to believe anyone with an internet radio would still want to
listen to the ****e the BBC has to offer, given that they'd have
literally tens of thousands of better alternatives at their
fingertips.
--

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hard to believe anyone with an internet radio would still want to
listen to the ****e the BBC has to offer,

Come to Germany and you'll see how enormously grateful I am for the BBC.
Whatever do you have in mind, that could be even comparable to them?

I used to listen on longwave after the demise of the British forces'
BFBS. You can't think what a great change podcasts and streeams have
made to my listening.

--
/\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Strae 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 14/03/2021 19:35, Axel Berger wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hard to believe anyone with an internet radio would still want to
listen to the ****e the BBC has to offer,

Come to Germany and you'll see how enormously grateful I am for the BBC.
Whatever do you have in mind, that could be even comparable to them?

I sympathise.
In continental Europe on FM the only classical music radio was
re-broadcasts for Radio 3 concerts and nothing in Germany

I used to listen on longwave after the demise of the British forces'
BFBS. You can't think what a great change podcasts and streeams have
made to my listening.

Indeed

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 14-03-2021 20:40, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
In continental Europe on FM the only classical music radio was
re-broadcasts for Radio 3 concerts and nothing in Germany

?? Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France; those are the ones I know;
they all have at least one national radio station with classical music.

(And at least until recently all on FM, now maybe DAB+, I don't know.)

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hard to believe anyone with an internet radio would still want to
listen to the ****e the BBC has to offer,

Come to Germany and you'll see how enormously grateful I am for the BBC.
Whatever do you have in mind, that could be even comparable to them?

I sympathise.
In continental Europe on FM the only classical music radio was
re-broadcasts for Radio 3 concerts and nothing in Germany

France Musique was/is in Europe.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

"A. Dumas" wrote:
one national radio station with classical music.

I neither need nor want music on radio, although I agree that if it
can't be avoided classic is better than most. BBC Radio 4 is all about
content delivered through the spoken word. Not everything is to my taste
or interest, bit enough to make hard sometinmes to keep up with
listening to all the podcasts and recordings coming in.

--
/\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Strae 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
*X in | D-50829 Kln-Ossendorf http://berger-odenthal.de
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hard to believe anyone with an internet radio would still want to
listen to the ****e the BBC has to offer,

Come to Germany and you'll see how enormously grateful I am for the BBC.
Whatever do you have in mind, that could be even comparable to them?

That's fine if you want to listen to Globalist Left-wing propaganda
and nothing else. Personally I can't bear it.

I sympathise.
In continental Europe on FM the only classical music radio was
re-broadcasts for Radio 3 concerts and nothing in German.

You must be joking. When I was living in Germany ISTR there was no
shortage of classical music on both TV and radio. De Radio Kultur did
a lot of it (that's the only station name I can remember as it was a
good few years ago).

I used to listen on longwave after the demise of the British forces'
BFBS. You can't think what a great change podcasts and streeams have
made to my listening.

Indeed

Yes indeed, but *nothing* the BBC has to offer, I'm sorry to say.

--

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one
of the numerous and varied legion of dullards, of half-animate abortions,
conceited, half-educated coxcombs who attach themselves to the idea most
in fashion, only to vulgarise it and who caricature every cause they serve,
however sincerely."

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

In article ,
Axel Berger wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hard to believe anyone with an internet radio would still want to
listen to the ****e the BBC has to offer,

Come to Germany and you'll see how enormously grateful I am for the BBC.
Whatever do you have in mind, that could be even comparable to them?

It's Doom. He hates all good things British. Why he fled the country.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

It's Doom. He hates all good things British. Why he fled the country.

Has he got ginger hair and living in a Californian mansion?

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 14/03/2021 19:46, A. Dumas wrote:
On 14-03-2021 20:40, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
In continental Europe on FM the only classical music radio was
re-broadcasts for Radio 3 concerts and nothing in Germany

?? Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France; those are the ones I know;
they all have at least one national radio station with classical music.

(And at least until recently all on FM, now maybe DAB+, I don't know.)

Couldn't find em driving through Germany: Netherlands, Belgium and
France, I did.

Mostly re broadcasts of BBC radio 3....

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hard to believe anyone with an internet radio would still want to
listen to the ****e the BBC has to offer,

Come to Germany and you'll see how enormously grateful I am for the BBC.
Whatever do you have in mind, that could be even comparable to them?

I sympathise.
In continental Europe on FM the only classical music radio was
re-broadcasts for Radio 3 concerts and nothing in Germany

I used to listen on longwave after the demise of the British forces'
BFBS. You can't think what a great change podcasts and streeams have
made to my listening.

Indeed

Don't quite understand what your getting at here are you saying theres
no classic stations in Germany or ones worth listening to?

Still got Bayern Klassik?..

Https://www.br-klassik.de/programm/l...tream-158.html

Let alone the excellent Czech D-Dur service from Prague

https://www.mujrozhlas.cz/zive/d-dur?autopla

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hard to believe anyone with an internet radio would still want to
listen to the ****e the BBC has to offer,

Come to Germany and you'll see how enormously grateful I am for the BBC.
Whatever do you have in mind, that could be even comparable to them?

I sympathise.
In continental Europe on FM the only classical music radio was
re-broadcasts for Radio 3 concerts and nothing in Germany

I used to listen on longwave after the demise of the British forces'
BFBS. You can't think what a great change podcasts and streeams have
made to my listening.

Indeed

Don't quite understand what your getting at here are you saying theres
no classic stations in Germany or ones worth listening to?

No, I am saying that I found none on FM radio while driving from
Dunquerque to Koblenz..after Aachen.

Still got Bayern Klassik?..

Https://www.br-klassik.de/programm/l...tream-158.html

Let alone the excellent Czech D-Dur service from Prague

https://www.mujrozhlas.cz/zive/d-dur?autopla

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

tony sayer wrote:
Don't quite understand what your getting at here are you saying theres
no classic stations in Germany or ones worth listening to?

Not sure who "you" is in your answer. In this thread I'm exclusively
speaking about radio, i.e. the spoken word, while several others are
going on about music.

Music, specifically classic music is by definition old and can come from
anywhere like a deceased relative's record collection. Radio is valuable
for its currently relevant content and must be received now. That's
where differences in quality come in. Anyone can put on records.

--
/\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Strae 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
*X in | D-50829 Kln-Ossendorf http://berger-odenthal.de
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 22/03/2021 00:33, Axel Berger wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
Don't quite understand what your getting at here are you saying theres
no classic stations in Germany or ones worth listening to?

Not sure who "you" is in your answer. In this thread I'm exclusively
speaking about radio, i.e. the spoken word, while several others are
going on about music.

radio does not mean, and never has meant 'the spoken word'. Especially
before the advent of recording

Music, specifically classic music is by definition old

No, it is still being written today, mainly for film scores its true,
but it is being written..classical music is scored music for an
ensemble, with an conductor and may instruments..

and can come from
anywhere like a deceased relative's record collection. Radio is valuable
for its currently relevant content and must be received now. That's
where differences in quality come in. Anyone can put on records.

And anyone can tell lies over the air as well.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

Axel Berger wrote:
Not sure who "you" is in your answer. In this thread I'm exclusively
speaking about radio, i.e. the spoken word, while several others are
going on about music.

I don't know about usage in Germany, but in (IME) in
the UK, Australia, and NZ "radio" might mean any kind
of radio broadcast of audio, whether of speech, music,
weird experimental sound sculptures, etc; or combinations
thereof.

#Paul
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 22/03/2021 20:15, #Paul wrote:
Axel Berger wrote:
Not sure who "you" is in your answer. In this thread I'm exclusively
speaking about radio, i.e. the spoken word, while several others are
going on about music.

I don't know about usage in Germany, but in (IME) in
the UK, Australia, and NZ "radio" might mean any kind
of radio broadcast of audio, whether of speech, music,
weird experimental sound sculptures, etc; or combinations
thereof.

#Paul

Radio (or wireless!) in the UK effectively means 'sound transmission by
radio waves'
If it's speech, it's colloquially known as 'talk radio'. Sometimes.

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 20:15:15 +0000, #Paul wrote:

Axel Berger wrote:
Not sure who "you" is in your answer. In this thread I'm exclusively
speaking about radio, i.e. the spoken word, while several others are
going on about music.

I don't know about usage in Germany, but in (IME) in the UK, Australia,
and NZ "radio" might mean any kind of radio broadcast of audio, whether
of speech, music, weird experimental sound sculptures, etc; or
combinations thereof.

I think he means speech radio, i.e. BBC Radio 4 in the UK, WOR in New
York City and 2YA in NZ.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 09:04:16 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 22/03/2021 20:15, #Paul wrote:
Axel Berger wrote:
Not sure who "you" is in your answer. In this thread I'm exclusively
speaking about radio, i.e. the spoken word, while several others are
going on about music.

I don't know about usage in Germany, but in (IME) in the UK, Australia,
and NZ "radio" might mean any kind of radio broadcast of audio, whether
of speech, music, weird experimental sound sculptures, etc; or
combinations thereof.

#Paul

Radio (or wireless!) in the UK effectively means 'sound transmission by
radio waves'
If it's speech, it's colloquially known as 'talk radio'. Sometimes.

We need a better description than 'talk radio': there is far too much
crap and assorted political raving around to lump it all together under
that the same heading as Radio 4 or WOR.

At least when one of the political ravers is called a 'shock jock' you
know what to expect.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 22/03/2021 20:15, #Paul wrote:
Axel Berger wrote:
Not sure who "you" is in your answer. In this thread I'm exclusively
speaking about radio, i.e. the spoken word, while several others are
going on about music.

I don't know about usage in Germany, but in (IME) in the UK, Australia,
and NZ "radio" might mean any kind of radio broadcast of audio, whether
of speech, music, weird experimental sound sculptures, etc; or
combinations thereof.

#Paul

Radio (or wireless!) in the UK effectively means 'sound transmission by
radio waves'
If it's speech, it's colloquially known as 'talk radio'. Sometimes.

We need a better description than 'talk radio': there is far too much
crap and assorted political raving around to lump it all together under
that the same heading as Radio 4 or WOR.

Indeed. Radio 4 is definitely far too much crap and assorted political
raving...

At least when one of the political ravers is called a 'shock jock' you
know what to expect.

Indeed. Instead if being called an 'expert' or a 'political commentator'

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

#Paul wrote:
but in (IME) in
the UK, Australia, and NZ "radio" might mean any kind
of radio broadcast of audio, whether of speech, music,
weird experimental sound sculptures, etc; or combinations
thereof.

Same here of course. But this thread began with the topic of quality at
the top. Of course most stations and all the local ones offer little
more than a sound background fpr the advertisements. But BBC, especially
Radio 4 and to a far lesser degree some German programs are different.

--
/\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067
\ / HTML | Roald-Amundsen-Strae 2a Fax: +49/ 221/ 7771 8069
*X in | D-50829 Kln-Ossendorf http://berger-odenthal.de
/ \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 01:33:11 +0100, Axel Berger
wrote:

specifically classic music is by definition old

Surely not true since the development of electric music.

When I listen to a Philip Glass piano piece, I'm listening to
classical music IMHO.

In the UK, the principal supporter of classical composers
for a while was the Grateful Dead.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, NEW
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, +44 (0)78 0390 3612, +34 649 662 974
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:12:59 +0000, Stephen Pelc wrote:

When I listen to a Philip Glass piano piece, I'm listening to classical
music IMHO.

One of the best orchestral concerts I've been to was at Cambridge Corn
Exchange in 2000, when the Britten Sinfonia played a concert of pieces by
John Adams and Frank Zappa.

Definitely a good fit in the Contemporary Classical category.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y,comp.sys.raspberry-pi

On 23/03/2021 13:46, Axel Berger wrote:
#Paul wrote:
but in (IME) in
the UK, Australia, and NZ "radio" might mean any kind
of radio broadcast of audio, whether of speech, music,
weird experimental sound sculptures, etc; or combinations
thereof.

Same here of course. But this thread began with the topic of quality at
the top. Of course most stations and all the local ones offer little
more than a sound background fpr the advertisements. But BBC, especially
Radio 4 and to a far lesser degree some German programs are different.

I would say the reverse. there is far less advertising on radio than on
television, and the BBC advertises more than anyone. Its just paid for
by the EU and by the license fee payer, and consists of wall to wall
progressive left Marxist and woke propaganda

Lucas Bergkamp