Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 6 AA cell battery holder

After very many years my Kamasa 4" 7.4V battery grinder has a defunct
6 AA NiCad battery. I recelled it in 2013 with the 2/3 C 2Ah cells.

In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D
section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles at
the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great
problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but cannot
find a battery holder.

Nearest is 2 Bulgin BX0013/1 in parallel but that would cost nigh on to
30quid, any other DIY options, maybe fabricating something from plastic
pipes?

The other option is to treat myself to a 115mm brushless angle grinder
but that seems a bit overkill for my purposes, I have 5" and 9" 240V
angle grinders.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 21:07:19 +0000, AJH
wrote:

After very many years my Kamasa 4" 7.4V battery grinder has a defunct
6 AA NiCad battery. I recelled it in 2013 with the 2/3 C 2Ah cells.

In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D
section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles at
the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great
problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but cannot
find a battery holder.

Are these straight cells, not tagged then?

Nearest is 2 Bulgin BX0013/1 in parallel but that would cost nigh on to
30quid, any other DIY options, maybe fabricating something from plastic
pipes?

If you are talking about a straight battery clip, I have 3D printed
various sizes and you can buy the spring / plain contacts for each end
off Amazon / Ali express etc.

The other option is to treat myself to a 115mm brushless angle grinder
but that seems a bit overkill for my purposes, I have 5" and 9" 240V
angle grinders.

Depending on your exact need, I would be more than happy to see if I
could design / print something to suit?

Or he
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...&sort=relevant

Most of the rechargeable packs I have come across are spot welded /
tagged cells and are often glued / heatshrinked to form a 'pack'?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2021 21:07, AJH wrote:
After very many years my Kamasa 4" 7.4V battery grinder hasÂ* a defunct 6
AA NiCad battery. I recelled it in 2013 with the 2/3 C 2Ah cells.

In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D
section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles at
the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great
problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but cannot
find a battery holder.

How about something like:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Megger-Ba...0/174642992847

Or at a surprisingly low price, so unlike RS:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/battery-holders/1756093/

Nearest is 2 Bulgin BX0013/1 in parallel but that would cost nigh on to
30quid, any other DIY options, maybe fabricating something from plastic
pipes?

The other option is to treat myself to a 115mm brushless angle grinder
but that seems a bit overkill for my purposes, I have 5" and 9" 240V
angle grinders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AJH wrote:
In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D
section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles at
the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great
problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but cannot
find a battery holder.

Don't think a battery holder that allows the cells to be changed will work
well. For best results the cells need to have welded connections.
Re-chargeables can supply a lot more current than alkaline.

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AJH wrote:
In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D
section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles at
the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great
problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but cannot
find a battery holder.

Don't think a battery holder that allows the cells to be changed will work
well. For best results the cells need to have welded connections.
Re-chargeables can supply a lot more current than alkaline.

Yes but for my occasional use the heat from the resistance between
cells may not be an issue, it just means I can carry on using the tool
rather than dispose of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2021 23:43, Fredxx wrote:
On 04/03/2021 21:07, AJH wrote:
After very many years my Kamasa 4" 7.4V battery grinder hasÂ* a defunct
6 AA NiCad battery. I recelled it in 2013 with the 2/3 C 2Ah cells.

In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D
section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles
at the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great
problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but
cannot find a battery holder.

How about something like:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Megger-Ba...0/174642992847

Or at a surprisingly low price, so unlike RS:
Â* https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/battery-holders/1756093/

Thank you, either of those look good and cheap enough to try.

I wonder why I couldn't find them in my searches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After very many years my Kamasa 4" 7.4V battery grinder has a defunct
6 AA NiCad battery. I recelled it in 2013 with the 2/3 C 2Ah cells.

In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D
section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles at
the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great
problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but cannot
find a battery holder.

Are these straight cells, not tagged then?

Currently they are tagged but I want to use individual rechargeable AA
cells so I can fit them in an ordinary charger

Depending on your exact need, I would be more than happy to see if I
could design / print something to suit?

Thanks for the offer I will contact you if all else fails.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AJH wrote:
In article ,
AJH wrote:
In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D
section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles at
the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great
problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but cannot
find a battery holder.

Don't think a battery holder that allows the cells to be changed will work
well. For best results the cells need to have welded connections.
Re-chargeables can supply a lot more current than alkaline.

Yes but for my occasional use the heat from the resistance between
cells may not be an issue, it just means I can carry on using the tool
rather than dispose of it.

Think you'll find the performance so poor you'll no longer want to.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:
Yes but for my occasional use the heat from the resistance between
cells may not be an issue, it just means I can carry on using the tool
rather than dispose of it.

It's not the heat, it's the voltage drop. If you have a 7.2v tool and
you add series resistance due to the contacts, not much power actually gets
delivered to the motor.

At this point, buying a new one gets you a much better (lithium ion) battery
pack and probably a more powerful motor. It can deliver more power than the
original one ever could, even before you bodge it.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Mar 2021 10:51:32 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AJH wrote:
In article ,
AJH wrote:
In common with my ancient Ryobi 18V drill 4 of the cells are in the D
section leg that plugs in the handle and the othe two at right angles at
the bottom. Having something sticking out a bit further is no great
problem so I thought of trying 2 strings of 3 2500mA AA Nimh but cannot
find a battery holder.

Don't think a battery holder that allows the cells to be changed will work
well. For best results the cells need to have welded connections.
Re-chargeables can supply a lot more current than alkaline.

Yes but for my occasional use the heat from the resistance between
cells may not be an issue, it just means I can carry on using the tool
rather than dispose of it.

Think you'll find the performance so poor you'll no longer want to.

That's why I 3D printed some HD D cell holders because the std ones
would just melt as soon as you tried to put any real current though
them. And if you are cycling 7Ah cells you generally do have to do
just that.

I did try the std offerings but the contacts just melted through the
clip. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2021 15:57, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 05 Mar 2021 10:51:32 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
AJH wrote:
In article ,
AJH wrote:
[...]

Yet most 3D printers specifically use plastics and materials than melt
at low temperatures.

Mine can do ABS so can cope with boiling water temperatures but not
all/many do. Most people use PLA.