Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dementia Stories

We Are Going to Keep You Safe, Even if It Kills Your Spirit
By Katie Engelhart, 2/19/21, NY Times

On a recent morning, Bill Williams, 87, awoke to learn of a
terrible virus that had spread everywhere and was killing
people. Well, weve got this virus, an aide at his nursing
home in Broken Bow, Neb., told him. A few minutes later, he
had forgotten about the virus, and so the nursing aide told
him again. And then again. She would have to tell him the
next day, too.

Its pretty quiet in here, Williams said, biting the
inside of his lip a little.

Well, weve got this virus.

On most days, after Williams forgets again about the virus,
he gets out of his armchair and into his wheelchair & goes
down the hallway at Brookestone View Skilled Nursing & Rehab.
Like other residents with Alzheimers or dementia, he is
noncompliant with mask-wearing protocols. He says the masks
fog up his glasses. Or he thinks: What mask? He is also
noncompliant with social-distancing measures.

In other care facilities and in hospitals, too, wanderers
with dementia are believed to have spread the virus & caused
outbreaks but what are admins to do? They cant just lock
people up.

Stay in your room, the nursing aides tell Williams. But he
doesnt stay. Whenever he gets out, an aide redirects him
back to his armchair. Then again and again, until someone
gets exasperated & lets him sit in the hallway for a while,
so that he can watch the comings & goings.

Because the thing is, its boring to sit in an armchair all
day even though Williams, a former crop duster, likes to
watch planes taking off from a nearby airstrip, thru his
window. The dining hall is closed. Visitors are mostly
prohibited. Life enrichment activities, like bingo, have
been canceled. Williams knows that the choreography of the
nursing home is off, but he isnt sure why. Everybody got
busy doing stuff, I guess, he told me.

When the pandemic began, he started eating less and being
less interested in TV. He started waking in the night and
roaming the halls in search of he wasnt sure. Once, he
told a nursing aide that someone has stolen his wife away.
In fact, Williams speaks to his wife, Bev, most evenings
after dinner, on the phone, but then he forgets.

He also forgets the time his wife drove to the nursing home
and tried to talk with him thru the window and he couldnt
hear her, and the whole thing was so confusing. Why dont
you just come in? he asked. Back near the start of the
pandemic, his family sent him a small cardboard cutout of
her image, but then he started talking to the cardboard and
trying to feed it, so the staff took it away.

Some people in nursing homes obsess about going home. They
ask what time their mothers are coming to get them. They try
to pack suitcases. Mr. Williams told me one day recently that
he planned to go home that afternoon. Wheres home? I
asked.

I dont know, he said. Then he laughed a little. Do you know?

In the same nursing home, a man with dementia is more cleareyed
about his prospects for liberation. He recently asked an aide,
How long are they going to keep us locked up in here like
goddamn animals?

A 3-hour drive east, in Lincoln, a 91-y-o resident named
Dorothy Benck believes that she will not leave her nursing
home alive or at least not alive in the way that she is
used to being.

Mrs. Benck, who has mild dementia and a lung condition, first
moved into a nursing home last summer, with her husband of
71.5 years. They were allowed to quarantine together, in a
room with two side-by-side recliners. Then her husband died
of a heart condition, and her daughter moved her to a larger
facility where many residents have been sick with Covid-19
and where she hasnt been allowed to walk around or meet
the neighbors.

In her single room at the Southlake Village Rehab & Care
Center, she stopped brushing her hair; her perm grew out
and wild. She stopped putting in her bottom dentures when
she ate, even though she knew that she could choke without
them. She started wearing pajamas all day and then being
startled by the sight of herself. I guess I didnt get
dressed today, she said. I look awful. Once, Mrs.. Benck
asked the nursing aides if there were any dirty dishes she
could wash. She wanted to be busy. The aides told her that
there werent.

Her daughter, Gayle Pierce, thinks that things would be
easier if her mother were further along in the disorder,
instead of being stuck in a purgatory of kind-of-under-
standing. For people who have a lot of dementia, Ms. Pierce
told me, they wouldnt know that they are stuck in their
room. My mother knows.

A small study from Japan, published in Sept 2020 in The
Journal of Alzheimers Disease, found that people with
mild Alzheimers scored higher on depression scales than
people with moderate to severe Alzheimers. They were
more likely to be depressed when they understood Covid-19
and could answer questions like, Why are you wearing a
face mask?

Mom, you know this is going to end sometime, Ms. Pierce
tells her mother, on the one day a week that shes allowed
to visit. Mrs. Benck just stares back.

She thinks Im just telling her that, Ms. Pierce told me.
And maybe I am.

In the meantime, Mrs. Benck mostly lies in bed. At first,
the nursing aides thought she was just tired and sleeping
a lot, but then they noticed that her eyes were open.

This winter, I spent weeks calling (& on Zoom with) dementia
caregivers, geriatricians, researchers, social workers,
nursing aides and, whenever I could and in whatever way
I could, people who have dementia. I met them thru doctors
and social workers and nonprofit advocates, or directly,
on Twitter and Facebook. Often, one conversation led the
next. Often, the conversations were long.

For nearly a year, I had been thinking about how people
with dementia were experiencing this bleak time. I read
what relevant papers I could find, but they did not tell
me what I wanted to know.

The death toll, of course, tells one story. Even compared
with others in their vulnerable age group, people with
dementia are more likely to get Covid-19 & are significantly
more likely to die of it. Scientists are still debating
whether this extra susceptibility is rooted in the pathology
of dementia and its common comorbidities, like frailty, or
whether it has more to do with behavior.

People with dementia may not adequately comprehend, execute,
or recall any of the suggested public health measures, as
the Alzheimers Assn puts it. Also, its not possible to
social-distance when you live in a nursing home, as about
15% of people with dementia do, and when you need help
eating and going to the bathroom.

Even those who stay free of the virus have suffered
disproportionately from the disruptions of pandemic life.
Dementia responds well to routine: rigid, time-blocked
schedules and familiar faces. But the pandemic has shown us,
and warned us, how quickly the fragile channels of dementia
care the muddled blend of formal and informal networks
that sustain those routines can collapse under strain.

When a daily routine falls apart, a person with dementia can
seem to fall apart, too. Around the country, geriatricians
describe an acceleration of decline one that they say has
not yet been captured and construed by academic literature,
but that they see play out in the bodies and minds of their
patients. People with dementia are losing things faster than
they should: weight, words, functional abilities, their
remaining sense of self.

But the question I have been chasing for the last year is
different. I wanted to understand what it feels like to
live thru this terribly disorienting time inside a mind
that is already deeply disoriented.

What do people with dementia even understand about the
virus? Many articles about Covid-19 and dementia care do
not even ask them. In this absence, I have tried to imagine
my way into an answer, and then have questioned the honesty
and decency of this sort of imagining. The task would be
hard on the best of days. The existential experience of
dementia is almost completely ignored, the writer Sallie
Tisdale, who is also a nurse, has observed. Vanishingly
few studies have considered what it is like to be demented.

In locked-down nursing homes, men and women are adrift.
In the sometimes maddeningly oblique language of dementia
care, they have developed more behaviors. They show less
positive affect and more negative affect. More apathy,
more agitation.

Captivity can be dizzying. Some residents cry when they see
nurses in masks, because they dont recognize the nurses
and the masks are frightening. Sometimes, when trusted staff
members are out sick, residents with dementia refuse to be
bathed, because they dont want to be naked in front of
strangers. When its time for corona testing, some people
protest, and some nurses lie a bit to make them comply.
Let me just get your boogers out, they might say, swab
in hand.

Other times, people seem hungry for contact. In periods of
strict confinement, during Covid outbreaks, some residents
press their call buttons and let them ring and ring until
nursing aides have time to put on fresh P.P.E. and enter
the room only to then forget what they needed. When and
where loved ones are allowed to visit a facility in person,
its often for just an hour, in an unfamiliar common room or
a chapel, fully masked and six feet apart. Some nursing homes
post signs on the wall: NO HUGGING. The mandated distance
between bodies can be discouraging for someone who doesnt
know why it has to be that way.

Video calls are OK, but not always. A person with dementia
might drop the tablet after the nurse leaves the room. Or
try to touch her husband through the screen. Some family
members give up on regular calls, because the calls make
things worse, or because theyre too hard, or because and
this always feels so awful to say their loved ones wont
remember anyway.

In some instances, med staff reluctantly prescribe sedating
drugs to counter these new behaviors, in part because oppor-
tunities for non-pharma interventions, like exercise and
socialization, are scant or forbidden. Im a physician who
has definitely always prided herself on less is more, said
Sarah Berry, a geriatrician at the Hinda and Arthur Marcus
Inst for Aging Research at Hebrew SeniorLife in Boston.
Still, in the past year, she has encountered some patients
who required a little bit of psychotropic medications for
a while, because they were really suffering. One resident
believed that staff members were poisoning her.

With dementia, a caregiver is kind of the extension of the
mind of the patient, said Dr. Jason Karlawish, a co-director
of the Penn Memory Center and the author of The Problem of
Alzheimers. They fill in where the person with dementia
can no longer exercise their moral agency and moral experience.

Often, a caregiver is an aging spouse who before the pandemic
visited her loved ones nursing home every day and stayed for
hours and maybe helped with feeding and bathing when the
nursing aides were busy, or just because she preferred it
that way. Since the start of the pandemic, most family
caregivers have been barred from care facilities or had
their visits severely restricted.

Dr. Karlawish thinks that blanket bans on dementia caregivers
are akin to taking away a wheelchair from a person with
physical disabilities. And thats a brutal metaphor, he
said. But all of a sudden, the people who would come there
and help their minds function were taken away. Some geria-
tricians describe this separation as unfortunate & damaging,
but necessary. Others believe that we should have allowed for
a gentler nursing home quarantine, one that recognizes
caregivers as essential parts of dementia health care.

Jill Harrison, an executive director of the Nat'l Inst on
Agings IMPACT Collaboratory, thinks the instinct to lock
everything down reflects a broader tendency in dementia care
to prioritize physical safety above all else. She told me
about a nursing home resident with dementia who liked to
dance by his window: One day he fell. And the response from
the nursing home was: Were not going to turn on the music
anymore. Shouldnt we be helping him find a way to dance?

I always call it surplus safety, Dr. Harrison told me.
Its essentially like, we are going to keep you safe, even
if it kills your spirit.

Dr. Ariel Green, an asst prof of med at Johns Hopkins U,
said, What Covid has laid bare is that in general, for
older adults with functional and cognitive impairments, we
think its OK for them to languish in bed without any
stimulation for days. She added, In pediatrics, for example,
we understand that this is not acceptable.

When people with dementia do develop Covid-19, they are
often more susceptible to delirium. All alone in hospitals,
without caregivers to reorient them or coax them to drink or
help them to move around, patients sometimes slip into a
failure cascade. They develop urinary tract infections and
pressure ulcers. They lose muscle mass. They forget that they
are sick & try to go to the bathroom, & then fall & break
their hips. They try to rip out their IV lines. In the words
of their physicians, they decondition & fail to thrive.

When Janice Swink, 68, got Covid-19, she spent a night
hallucinating in her bungalow in Louisville, Ky. She saw
snakes on the ceiling. When she got out of bed, she couldnt
figure out where the bathroom was or where the light was
or maybe, briefly, what a light was. One of her sons found
her standing in the middle of the pitch-dark kitchen. The
whole family had been careful about the virus, but Swinks
older son worked in a factory making tractor-trailer parts,
& workers there had to stand close together. Swink thinks
maybe they all caught it that way.

Recently, Swink started feeling shaky on her feet. Her
husband, Eric, bought her an electric medical scooter at
an auction, because her insurance wouldnt pay for one.
Still, she spends a lot of time sitting in her living room,
listening to Bruno Mars or reading things on Twitter. She
tweets about dementia and Covid-19, and sometimes politics:
I so wish the VA would pay for Eric to get dentures & my
Medicare supplement Humana would pay for me to get dentures!
But they dont. Never Forget Benghazi!!!

Once in a while, Swink allows herself to wonder whether this
is her last good stretch of time & whether shes losing it
because of the virus & the lockdowns. A doctor told her that
if she has a bucket list, she should start checking things
off it. Some days she dreams of renting a motor home with
the whole family and going to Tennessee or getting to see a
moose somewhere because shes never seen one. But then,
she said, the realization comes and youre like, Probably
not going to get to do any of that.

In recent months, the number of calls to the Alzheimers
Assns 24/7 Helpline often from at-home dementia caregivers
has gone up. Callers ask how to get a person with dementia
to wash her hands when she doesnt want to. And what theyre
supposed to do with all the hours in a day now that adult
day programs are closed. They want to know whether its safe
to let professional nursing aides into their homes. Sometimes
callers admit, abashedly, that they are at their breaking
point. And sometimes, they admit to losing it and yelling at
their poor, demented loved one. On the phone, they want to
confess, to atone, to self-flagellate.

In Boston, a woman had to send her husband to the hospital
because he got an infection on his heel, just from spending
so much time in bed, his doctor said. In Philadelphia, a
woman bought a roll of wallpaper with a bookshelf pattern on
it & pasted it over the inside of her front door, to confuse
her husband and dissuade him from wandering outside, where
he might get too close to people.

Some people with dementia dont really know what the corona
is, and often their caregivers want to know how much to tell
them. Is there a point in frightening a person with the
truth? Are they doing something wrong if they lie? One day,
a woman called the hotline to say that her father had
recently died of the virus. She wanted to know whether she
should break the news to her mother, who had dementia.

Hotline workers often tell callers that there are no right
or wrong answers. But if they do decide to deliver bad news,
caregivers are advised to keep the sentences short. They
should also try to speak literally, because people with
dementia can get confused or misled by a metaphor. We dont
want to use any kind of euphemisms, a hotline responder told me.

At first, Bruce Wood, 62, didnt mind the restrictions brought
on by the pandemic. Maybe he even liked them. When Covid-19
arrived, his wife, Lisa Raitt, a former member of Parliament
in Canada, stopped commuting to Toronto for work and started
spending days with him, at their suburban home. They would
go on long drives or watch the news. Mr. Wood could barely
speak by then, five years after his diagnosis of young-onset
dementia; still, he knew who Donald Trump was. But then he
started getting bored, and then frantic.

In Nov, he punched his wife. That was a surprise, Raitt
told me later. That he could, you know, mentally put it
together to punch me. He started doing other things too,
like twisting her arm & shaking her. A former football player,
Mr. Wood sometimes looked at his wife oddly, as if he was
lining her up for a full-body tackle. Hed grunt and snort
and say, Im going to kill you. Ms. Raitt called 911 on
New Years Day, when it seemed as if he was about to hurt
her and possibly her teenage son. What else could she have
done? At the hospital, Mr. Wood had to be restrained, both
hands and one foot tied to the bed.

Afterward, Ms. Raitt looked for answers on caregiver forums,
typing he punched me into the search bars of obscure
websites. She also tried reading novels and watching movies
about dementia, but none of them helped her. When she watched
Still Alice, a 2014 movie about a professor with early-onset
dementia, she couldnt see anything of her husband in the
character played by Julianne Moore.

It glosses over the bad parts, Ms. Raitt said. You see
Julianne Moore being a bit unkempt, as much as Julianne
Moore can be. She said shed rather watch a film with a
character who is violent, nonverbal, incontinent: Id like
a scene where the spouse with dementia has defecated on the
floor. Im trying to clean it up. Hes tracking it through
the room. The dog gets covered it in. I mean, this is a
real-life situation. That can break you.

Theres a question among geriatricians about what our Covid-
era response to dementia care says about the future of
dementia ca whether all the suffering and the deaths and
the aloneness bodes poorly for patients and future patients,
or whether the pandemic might inspire a change of direction.
There has been so much attention on nursing homes and their
failures on elder care and its burdens. Where people come
down on this question depends in part on whether they accept
the chancy idea that awareness of the problem, having been
raised, will make a difference. The pessimistic are quick to
note that Bidens Covid-19 Health Equity Task Force does not
contain a single geriatrician and that family caregivers have
generally been excluded from high-priority vaccination lists,
and so denied the affirmation of essential.

There is also the possibility that even when everyone has
been vaccinated, even when the pandemic is over, many of the
conditions of lockdown life will remain for people with
dementia. Today, around 50 million people worldwide live with
the syndrome, according to the World Health Org; that number
is expected to triple to over 150 million by 2050. That year,
the US is projected to have 13.8 mil people with Alzheimers
inside its borders (in addition to people with other forms
of dementia), with nearly one million new cases every year.

What will things look like then? Already, the American system
of dementia care is broken, sustained by feeble networks of
unpaid family caregivers and underpaid, high-turnover labor
that will be further strained as the population skews older.
And already, the system is hugely expensive, with an annual
national cost of roughly $300 billion.

If nothing changes, there may come another time in which
legions of older people with cognitive impairments are being
cared for by not enough caregivers, with so few social supports
available that many have no other choice but to close their
doors, stay home and try their best to keep safe.

Curry Whisenhunt, who says he is about 60, thinks that in a
way, he went into quarantine a few years before everyone else
did. In 2010, he started having hallucinations on the highway,
while driving his truck. Hed see a cactus wave at him. Hed
think he hit someone. It took a while to get a diagnosis
because he was so young and because his doctors spent so
long investigating other possibilities that long story
short, my insurance ran out.

By the time someone figured out what was wrong with him
Lewy body dementia he had already confined himself to his
double-wide mobile home in San Antonio. Because of his muscle
stiffness & forgetfulness, going outside felt unsafe. Crowded
places felt unsafe too. And home grew quiet because old
friends stopped coming by. A lot of your friends disappear
after your diagnosis, he told me.

In Mr. Whisenhunts Zoom support group, people sometimes talk
about how these days dont feel so different from normal days.
He says they talk about a lot of other things too, things that
only people with dementia would know or understand.

Like what? I asked, but he couldnt remember.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/19/o...-dementia.html