Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gap above external window fascia - fill or not bother?

I'm boarding the inside of a window but noticed a gap at the top where
there's a fascia panel attached to the window frame but not the building.

Given it would be a faff to fill and it's in the rebate i'm wondering
whether to bother, the only issue I can see is it's letting air into the
cavity, which is no real bad thing?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ODJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O8r...ew?usp=sharing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2021 12:49, R D S wrote:
I'm boarding the inside of a window but noticed a gap at the top where
there's a fascia panel attached to the window frame but not the building.

Given it would be a faff to fill and it's in the rebate i'm wondering
whether to bother, the only issue I can see is it's letting air into the
cavity, which is no real bad thing?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ODJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O8r...ew?usp=sharing

Did someone get their window measurements wrong ?.
Normally you allow 5mm tolerance all round.

Personally I would have raised the cill up with cut
bricks or blocks and fitted the window flush up against
the lintel.

I'd be more concerned with that horizontal crack.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2021 19:24, Andrew wrote:
On 18/02/2021 12:49, R D S wrote:
I'm boarding the inside of a window but noticed a gap at the top where
there's a fascia panel attached to the window frame but not the building.

Given it would be a faff to fill and it's in the rebate i'm wondering
whether to bother, the only issue I can see is it's letting air into
the cavity, which is no real bad thing?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ODJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O8r...ew?usp=sharing

Did someone get their window measurements wrong ?.
Normally you allow 5mm tolerance all round.

We bought the place from someone who fell out with their builder mid
'refurb'. It's easy to see why.
It's a shop so we're less precious about these things than if it was home.

I'd be more concerned with that horizontal crack.

Yeah, that stood out to me too.
The place is circa 200 years old though, it would be forgiven for
falling apart!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2021 20:27, R D S wrote:

I'd be more concerned with that horizontal crack.

Yeah, that stood out to me too.
The place is circa 200 years old though, it would be forgiven for
falling apart!

The crack does look if its the mortar line and not through the middle of
of bricks.

Has that part of the roof lifted at some time in a storm or strong wind?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 09:10, alan_m wrote:
On 18/02/2021 20:27, R D S wrote:

I'd be more concerned with that horizontal crack.

Yeah, that stood out to me too.
The place is circa 200 years old though, it would be forgiven for
falling apart!

The crack does look if its the mortar line and not through the middle of
of bricks.

Has that part of the roof lifted at some time in a storm or strong wind?

I wouldn't be surprised, it gets windy around these parts.
I've fashioned myself an office in the eaves recently and it was
terrifying last weekend.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2021 20:27, R D S wrote:

I'd be more concerned with that horizontal crack.

Yeah, that stood out to me too.
The place is circa 200 years old though, it would be forgiven for
falling apart!

The crack does look if its the mortar line and not through the middle of
of bricks.

Has that part of the roof lifted at some time in a storm or strong wind?

I wouldn't be surprised, it gets windy around these parts.
I've fashioned myself an office in the eaves recently and it was
terrifying last weekend.

Silicone on the outside to seal gaps top and side as for inside it depends on how you want to finish the upper reveal. If the plan is to put the PB on top of the frame then I would fill up the gap between the PB and lintel with PU foam otherwise you will have a cold bridge it would also provide some/extra support for the filler piece which looks like it is only attached by its bottom edge to the window frame. If the plan is to secure the upper reveal to the lintel then a piece of timber secured by screws through the upper frame of the window will allow you to secure a small vertical section of PB coming down to the window frame. For the latter I would consider how you can use the timber to further support the filler piece either screws or capped nails from the outside or double sided tape on the inside.

Richard

Socket not quite flush to wall - need to fill gap Murmansk UK diy 8 March 9th 17 10:26 PM
Fill in gap above microwave GB UK diy 4 September 30th 14 10:07 AM
To fill or not to fill? GMM[_3_] UK diy 4 August 22nd 13 12:12 AM
Cavity walls to fill or not to fill... below a flat roof. Housemartin UK diy 2 July 3rd 08 07:41 PM
How to fill gap under window-sill? Timothy Murphy UK diy 2 November 11th 07 12:31 PM