Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket not quite flush to wall - need to fill gap

I've got a double mains socket that's mounted on a metal backbox and because the backbox is not quite deep enough the socket isn't flush with the wall.

I need some kind of plastic "frame" designed to fit the socket to fill the gap - does such a thing exist as I can't seem to find any but I'm not sure what search terms would find it?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/17 19:21, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a double mains socket that's mounted on a metal backbox and
because the backbox is not quite deep enough the socket isn't flush
with the wall.

I need some kind of plastic "frame" designed to fit the socket to
fill the gap - does such a thing exist as I can't seem to find any
but I'm not sure what search terms would find it?

Thanks

Yes - spacers exist in 10mm (and some other depth) which are designed
for this problem.

You may need to do a bit of googling - they are not massively common,
but you can buy them (I've seem them online).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's called a trunking mounting frame spacer used one at the weekend to push out a switched FCU in order to run some mini trunking up to it neatly.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK2133.html

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2017 20:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
It's called a trunking mounting frame spacer used one at the weekend to push out a switched FCU in order to run some mini trunking up to it neatly.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK2133.html

That looks like it would sit on the front of the box. The OP would need
something which would act as a sleeve round the box.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2017 21:07, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 08/03/2017 20:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
It's called a trunking mounting frame spacer used one at the weekend
to push out a switched FCU in order to run some mini trunking up to it
neatly.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK2133.html

That looks like it would sit on the front of the box. The OP would need
something which would act as a sleeve round the box.

He didn't say that the back-box was proud of the wall, but that it
wasn't deep enough - which I took to mean that the socket was bottoming
in the box. If that is correct, that spacer should be ok.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/17 20:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
It's called a trunking mounting frame spacer used one at the weekend to push out a switched FCU in order to run some mini trunking up to it neatly.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK2133.html

Richard

That's it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all, this looks like it but might not fit my Mk socket perfectly although it is 10mm rather than 20mm so right depth as I only need about 5mm!

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/bg-nex...plate-818.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2017 21:23, Roger Mills wrote:
On 08/03/2017 21:07, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 08/03/2017 20:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:
It's called a trunking mounting frame spacer used one at the weekend
to push out a switched FCU in order to run some mini trunking up to it
neatly.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK2133.html

That looks like it would sit on the front of the box. The OP would need
something which would act as a sleeve round the box.

He didn't say that the back-box was proud of the wall, but that it
wasn't deep enough - which I took to mean that the socket was bottoming
in the box. If that is correct, that spacer should be ok.

After seeing the subject line "Socket not quite flush to wall - need to
fill gap" I'd mistakenly taken "the backbox is not quite deep enough" to
mean that it hadn't been sunk deep enough and that it was projecting
beyond the wall surface leaving a gap between the socket and the wall.

--
Mike Clarke