Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default At last

Since 25th Jan I have been emailing and messaging UPS trying to find out
how much they add to the £56 VAT on a machine tool imported from Germany.

Time and time again I was fobbed off with, referrals to different
departments, told it was down to the seller or told they couldn't answer
without a tracking number.

Finally this morning I've learned they charge £11.50.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

Since 25th Jan I have been emailing and messaging UPS trying to find out
how much they add to the £56 VAT on a machine tool imported from Germany.

So an item costing £280 then, over the new aligned VAT and duty
thresholds, is there duty to pay as well as VAT, or is that 0% on this item?

Time and time again I was fobbed off with, referrals to different
departments, told it was down to the seller or told they couldn't answer
without a tracking number.

Finally this morning I've learned they charge £11.50.

A little more than royal mail charge then ... £8

That was for £17 of VAT (no duty) on an import from USA over a year ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 10:20, Tim Streater wrote:
On 17 Feb 2021 at 09:11:10 GMT, Muddymike wrote:

Since 25th Jan I have been emailing and messaging UPS trying to find out
how much they add to the £56 VAT on a machine tool imported from Germany.

Time and time again I was fobbed off with, referrals to different
departments, told it was down to the seller or told they couldn't answer
without a tracking number.

Finally this morning I've learned they charge £11.50.

Presumably the seller shipped it without charging VAT?

I am surprised they shipped it at all. Most europeans seem to believe
that it is not possible to ship stuff to the UK at all.

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/02/2021 10:20, Tim Streater wrote:
On 17 Feb 2021 at 09:11:10 GMT, Muddymike wrote:

Since 25th Jan I have been emailing and messaging UPS trying to find out
how much they add to the £56 VAT on a machine tool imported from Germany.

Time and time again I was fobbed off with, referrals to different
departments, told it was down to the seller or told they couldn't answer
without a tracking number.

Finally this morning I've learned they charge £11.50.

Presumably the seller shipped it without charging VAT?

I am surprised they shipped it at all. Most europeans seem to believe
that it is not possible to ship stuff to the UK at all.

I don't know who you're talking to, but after a couple of weeks of
getting to understand the new rules all the suppliers I have come
across seem to be shipping to the UK without problems.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

I've learned they charge £11.50.

Presumably the seller shipped it without charging VAT?

As they should, since it's over the £135 limit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 10:20, Tim Streater wrote:
On 17 Feb 2021 at 09:11:10 GMT, Muddymike wrote:

Since 25th Jan I have been emailing and messaging UPS trying to find out
how much they add to the £56 VAT on a machine tool imported from Germany.

Time and time again I was fobbed off with, referrals to different
departments, told it was down to the seller or told they couldn't answer
without a tracking number.

Finally this morning I've learned they charge £11.50.

Presumably the seller shipped it without charging VAT?

Items imported from the EU are charged at the selling countries VAT rate
on items up to £135 in value including delivery charges. Above that its
zero rated at source then UK VAT is charged by the courier on delivery.

Depending on country of origin varying levels of duty are also added on
delivery.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

Items imported from the EU are charged at the selling countries VAT rate
on items up to £135 in value including delivery charges.

Shouldn't be. The overseas seller should not charge any VAT from their
own country, they should register for UK VAT, charge you that, complete
a UK VAT return and remit the amount to HMRC.

Above that its
zero rated at source then UK VAT is charged by the courier on delivery.

That's correct for B2C, not sure if it is for B2B when you supply them
with a VAT number.

Depending on country of origin varying levels of duty are also added on
delivery.

And depending what the item is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 09:29, Andy Burns wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

Since 25th Jan I have been emailing and messaging UPS trying to find
out how much they add to the £56 VAT on a machine tool imported from
Germany.

So an item costing £280 then, over the new aligned VAT and duty
thresholds, is there duty to pay as well as VAT, or is that 0% on this
item?

Time and time again I was fobbed off with, referrals to different
departments, told it was down to the seller or told they couldn't
answer without a tracking number.

Finally this morning I've learned they charge £11.50.

A little more than royal mail charge then ... £8

That was for £17 of VAT (no duty) on an import from USA over a year ago.

Parcelfarce charged me £12 on an item from the US where the VAT was £29.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

Since 25th Jan I have been emailing and messaging UPS trying to find
out how much they add to the £56 VAT on a machine tool imported from
Germany.

So an item costing £280 then, over the new aligned VAT and duty
thresholds, is there duty to pay as well as VAT, or is that 0% on this
item?

Time and time again I was fobbed off with, referrals to different
departments, told it was down to the seller or told they couldn't
answer without a tracking number.

Finally this morning I've learned they charge £11.50.

A little more than royal mail charge then ... £8

That was for £17 of VAT (no duty) on an import from USA over a year ago.

Parcelfarce charged me £12 on an item from the US where the VAT was £29.

That's their standard "admin fee"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 February 2021 at 19:22:27 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Muddymike wrote:

Items imported from the EU are charged at the selling countries VAT rate
on items up to £135 in value including delivery charges.

Shouldn't be. The overseas seller should not charge any VAT from their
own country, they should register for UK VAT, charge you that, complete
a UK VAT return and remit the amount to HMRC.
Above that its
zero rated at source then UK VAT is charged by the courier on delivery.

That's correct for B2C, not sure if it is for B2B when you supply them
with a VAT number.
Depending on country of origin varying levels of duty are also added on
delivery.

And depending what the item is.

And VAT on items below £135 is sales VAT; above £135 it is import VAT.

I have no idea if those two rates could ever be different - though currently they are the same on standard rated goods.