Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filler foam

I was thinking about getting some foam in a can to fill an open hole in
a pipe chase in my study. But when I looked at what Screwfix are
offering, I changed my mind.

Extract from the More Info. section:

"Label Info 1: Signal Word Danger

Label Info 2: Hazard Statements H222 Extremely flammable aerosol.H229 Pressurised container: may burst if heated.H351 Suspected of causing cancer.H362: May cause harm to Breast-fed children.H332 Harmful if inhaled.H373 May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.H319 Causes serious eye irritation.H335 May cause respiratory irritation.H315 Causes skin irritation.H334 May cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled.H317 May cause an allergic skin reaction.H413 May cause long lasting harmful effects to aquatic life.

Label Info 3: Precautionary Statements P101 If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand.P102 Keep out of reach of children.P210 Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.P211 Do not spray on an open flame or other ignition source.P251 Do not pierce or burn, even after use.P308 + P313 IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/ attention.P405 Store locked up.P410 + P412 Protect from sunlight. Do no expose to temperatures exceeding 50 o C/ 122 o F.P501 Dispose of contents/container to

Label Info 4: Supplementary Label Info - Persons already
sensitised to diisocyanates may develop allergic reactions when using
this product. - Persons suffering from asthma, eczema or skin problems
should avoid contact, including dermal contact, with this product. -
This product should not be used under conditions of poor ventilation
unless a protective mask with an appropriate gas filter (i.e. type A1
according to standard EN 14387) is used. Gas/vapour spreads at floor
level: ignition hazard".

Maybe I'll find some other way to block the hole.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2021 22:02, Davey wrote:
[...]

Just use it. Don't forget these labels have to cover people who may work
with these substances day in, day out and are to protect the
manufacturer for the 1 in 1000 or those that have a problem. Occasional
exposure for short periods is almost zero risk.

Just make sure the area is ventilated, use the stuff and leave the room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The one thing it does not say is how long these hazards last, ie if its ony
while curing you need a realistic time for this hazard to be minimal.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Davey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2021 22:17, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Rigid PU foams are relatively OK although you really don't want to get
yourself sensitised to isocyanate vapours. Flexible foams where the
vapour pressure of the active monomer is much higher are more dangerous.

Just make sure the area is ventilated, use the stuff and leave the room.

+1

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

See if you can find some EU red tape - it should be in the box along
with the foam - and pack the hole with that.

And then reflect on what happens when you let a lawyer make laws.

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 22:17:38 +0000
Steve Walker wrote:

On 14/02/2021 22:02, Davey wrote:
I was thinking about getting some foam in a can to fill an open
hole in a pipe chase in my study. But when I looked at what
Screwfix are offering, I changed my mind.

Extract from the More Info. section:

snip

Just use it. Don't forget these labels have to cover people who may
work with these substances day in, day out and are to protect the
manufacturer for the 1 in 1000 or those that have a problem.
Occasional exposure for short periods is almost zero risk.

Just make sure the area is ventilated, use the stuff and leave the
room.

I was worried, as I have just spent three weeks in hospital, for
respiratory troubles. So warnings about breathing problems got my
attention.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

On 14/02/2021 22:02, Davey wrote:
I was thinking about getting some foam in a can to fill an open
hole in a pipe chase in my study. But when I looked at what
Screwfix are offering, I changed my mind.

Extract from the More Info. section:

snip
Just use it. Don't forget these labels have to cover people who may
work with these substances day in, day out and are to protect the
manufacturer for the 1 in 1000 or those that have a problem.
Occasional exposure for short periods is almost zero risk.

Just make sure the area is ventilated, use the stuff and leave the
room.

I was worried, as I have just spent three weeks in hospital, for
respiratory troubles. So warnings about breathing problems got my
attention.

--
Davey.

My big beef about spray foam is it non re-usable-ness ( I just made that word up) Basically use it once and next time its all blocked up. I've tried various solutions but none are reliable. I had a small job to do for which it would have been ideal but not at the cost of a whole tin's worth
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

On 14/02/2021 22:02, Davey wrote:
I was thinking about getting some foam in a can to fill an open
hole in a pipe chase in my study. But when I looked at what
Screwfix are offering, I changed my mind.

Extract from the More Info. section:

snip

Just use it. Don't forget these labels have to cover people who may
work with these substances day in, day out and are to protect the
manufacturer for the 1 in 1000 or those that have a problem.
Occasional exposure for short periods is almost zero risk.

Just make sure the area is ventilated, use the stuff and leave the
room.

I was worried, as I have just spent three weeks in hospital, for
respiratory troubles. So warnings about breathing problems got my
attention.

Keep a bag of Wickes fine surface filler that is out
ogf date (or get some plaster of paris), Stuff the main part
of the hole with any suitable filling material like cardboard/papermache
and overfill with quick setting filler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

I've managed to keep a foam gun going for some years now, just cleaning
between cans with acetone. Used regularly for small jobs, wouldn't be without
it.

2 things. Wear gloves. The warnings about skin contact are real. Never noticed
fumes. And remember to close the valve when you've done - forgetting to do
that killed the first gun.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2021 22:02, Davey wrote:
I was thinking about getting some foam in a can to fill an open hole in
a pipe chase in my study. But when I looked at what Screwfix are
offering, I changed my mind.

I think it is ok to use. I would make sure you wear safety glasses, just
in case of an accident.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pancho wrote:

Davey wrote:

I was thinking about getting some foam in a can to fill an open hole in
a pipe chase in my study. But when I looked at what Screwfix are
offering, I changed my mind.

I think it is ok to use. I would make sure you wear safety glasses, just
in case of an accident.

Wear disposable gloves and old clothes, it *will* try to get everywhere

Foam, foam, foam Don Y[_3_] Home Repair 29 November 10th 15 04:10 AM
Foam - 2 pound blue foam on Holmes on Homes george [dicegeorge] UK diy 10 December 28th 09 06:26 PM
Cleaning Foam Filler mike UK diy 2 May 14th 07 04:42 PM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM
Can I use expanding foam filler with Kingspan? David Pearson UK diy 7 August 19th 05 08:14 PM