Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Weatherproof electrical enclosure

On an external wall I have a pair of weatherproof sockets, and
from one of them I run a plug lead feed to a box housing a timer
and the transformer for my water feature pump, which is off
during winter.

I also use the timer to feed some of my Christmas lights.

The plastic catches for the existing enclosure have now sheared
off, after about 15 years' service. That particular design does
not seem to be around any more.

I would like tool-free access, seals for cable entry,
wall-mounting, facility to terminate a flexible conduit for the
LV pump outgoing feed.

Searches seem to offer two basic variants, both of which I have
already used for Christmas lights.

The Masterplug WBX is nicely made, but I don't think it is big
enough to accommodate the transformer.

https://www.masterplug.com/uk/outdoor/accessories

DriBox 330 is plenty big enough, but not really suitable for
wall-mounting, and not intended for permanent installation.

http://dri-box.com/

Any other suggestions?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2021 13:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

This one is 380 x 300 x 18mm:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GWBX15127.html

Other sizes available. See Bottom quarter of page (Weatherproof - IP56
Moulded Boxes) at:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Boxes_Adaptable_Moulded/index.html

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Thanks for those, but they seem to miss two items in my target
specification: tool-free access, seals for cable entry.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Try a din rail enclosure. I used one of these to house a circuit breaker,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and pop a couple of these in it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIN-RAIL-...-/182764232004

Chris

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 10/02/2021 14:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Oh dear! I should read the spec! Well, these aren't exactly to spec,
either, but are better. The "tool" to open can be left in place, and
cable entry should be relatively easy to deal with (perhaps with the
"Hockey sticks" on page 6):

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Mitras/Meterboxes_Brochure.pdf

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Any other suggestions?

The BG model WP23L has a deep cover to accommodate wall warts etc ...

https://www.bgelectrical.uk/public/downloads/data-sheets/weatherproof/WP21_WP22_WP23_WP24_13amp_Socket_Outlets.pdf

https://www.sparkswarehouse.com/products/WP23L-weatherproof-13A-1-gang-double-pole-unswitched-socket-large-housing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 5:47:51 PM UTC, wrote:
On 10/02/2021 14:59, Chris J Dixon wrote:
wrote:

On 10/02/2021 13:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The plastic catches for the existing enclosure have now sheared
off, after about 15 years' service. That particular design does
not seem to be around any more.

Any other suggestions?

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That may well be worth investigation. Any particular
recommendations?

Chris

errr, try searching for overcentre catch

Damme. I was searching for these some time back but was buggered if I could remember what they were called.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 19/02/2021 10:17, wrote:
On 19/02/2021 09:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
wrote:

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That's a good idea, but I am now wondering if it is wise to bolt
unearthed metal catches to a plastic box containing electrical
equipment?

Everything is touch safe, and would be fine to be exposed, if
indoors.

Chris

That will depend on clearance distances inside the box. If you're
concerned you could create a cover over the fixings inside the box

I said it before but was ignored

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/box2.JPG

Standard weatherproof 'sub consumer unit' DIN rail box.
You can fit anything in it that sits on a DIN rail. so switches and 13A
sockets are available - and you fill up the spare space with
blankin``````````````````````g plates

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enclosure-O.../dp/B07CJS3J6L
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIN-RAIL-...-/182764232004

knock out or drill cable connections and fit whatever glands you want.
Screw through back to wall etc and then mastic the screw holes.

No user touchable metal involved. Neat and workmanlike

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I did see your suggestion last time, but it doesn't meet
my spec. I would like tool-free access, and provision for simply
laying cables in under seals, as required.

None of the intended contents, which I already have, are DIN
mounted.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK