Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HP 350 G2 Laptop.

Have one of these laptops. One thing about it drives me crazy.

It has a conventional keyboard. When typing a number I always use the
number pad. Now it does boot up with number lock on, but somewhere in use
it gets switched off. No warning LED, as some others have.
And when number lock is off, you can end up inadvertently deleting text
etc depending on what key you press, intending typing a number.

I've Googled to find out how to lock number lock. Plenty about setting it
at boot, but nothing about keeping it that way.

It's possible I'm hitting the num lock key by mistake, but don't have this
problem with any other keyboard I've used.

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

It's possible I'm hitting the num lock key by mistake

If you turn on "toggle keys" under settings/ease of
access/interaction/keyboard, it'll beep at you whenever you press one of
the lock keys
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

It's possible I'm hitting the num lock key by mistake

If you turn on "toggle keys" under settings/ease of
access/interaction/keyboard, it'll beep at you whenever you press one of
the lock keys

Thanks. I'll try that.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

It's possible I'm hitting the num lock key by mistake

If you turn on "toggle keys" under settings/ease of
access/interaction/keyboard, it'll beep at you whenever you press one of
the lock keys

Thanks. I'll try that.

It does now beep. But seems odd - not happening instantly. Perhaps that
key on the board is iffy. I've already replaced the keyboard once.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have one of these laptops. One thing about it drives me crazy.

It has a conventional keyboard. When typing a number I always use the
number pad. Now it does boot up with number lock on, but somewhere in use
it gets switched off. No warning LED, as some others have.
And when number lock is off, you can end up inadvertently deleting text
etc depending on what key you press, intending typing a number.

I've Googled to find out how to lock number lock. Plenty about setting it
at boot, but nothing about keeping it that way.

It's possible I'm hitting the num lock key by mistake, but don't have this
problem with any other keyboard I've used.

is there not an icon on the bottom right of the screen?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

If you turn on "toggle keys" under settings/ease of
access/interaction/keyboard, it'll beep at you whenever you press one of
the lock keys

It does now beep. But seems odd - not happening instantly.

Not a huge delay here, 1 or 200ms maybe?

Perhaps that key on the board is iffy. I've already replaced the
keyboard once.

I've known older HP laptops to have "oddball" USB filter drivers to
handle the Fn+FKEY combinations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've Googled to find out how to lock number lock. Plenty about setting it
at boot, but nothing about keeping it that way.

Googling "windows 10 num lock on startup" found this

https://www.technipages.com/enable-d...indows-startup

Surprising Microsoft make folks do registry changes for this, but then
again what sane defaults have Microsoft ever got correct?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2021 17:52, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Googling "windows 10 num lock on startup" found this

https://www.technipages.com/enable-d...indows-startup

Hmmm, reads OP post/. Erm, ignore this.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Have one of these laptops. One thing about it drives me crazy.

It has a conventional keyboard. When typing a number I always use the
number pad. Now it does boot up with number lock on, but somewhere in use
it gets switched off. No warning LED, as some others have.
And when number lock is off, you can end up inadvertently deleting text
etc depending on what key you press, intending typing a number.

I've Googled to find out how to lock number lock. Plenty about setting it
at boot, but nothing about keeping it that way.

It's possible I'm hitting the num lock key by mistake, but don't have this
problem with any other keyboard I've used.

https://superuser.com/questions/6888...ock-in-windows

Does this help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I've Googled to find out how to lock number lock. Plenty about setting it
at boot, but nothing about keeping it that way.

Googling "windows 10 num lock on startup" found this

https://www.technipages.com/enable-d...indows-startup

Surprising Microsoft make folks do registry changes for this, but then
again what sane defaults have Microsoft ever got correct?

It does boot in number lock. But somewhere down the line in use changes.
Of course it could be finger trouble on my part. But odd only on that
keyboard.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?