Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car window controls

Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Probably the handle would slice you in half in a side impact collision

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 10:38, alan_m wrote:
On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which
used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple
solution but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Probably the handle would slice you in half in a side impact collision

Only remember window winder handles in Rovers.

The A35 - glass block glued to side window pane and friction felt, IIRC.
How secure was that ?

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which
used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple
solution but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Probably the handle would slice you in half in a side impact collision

Only remember window winder handles in Rovers.

The A35 - glass block glued to side window pane and friction felt, IIRC.
How secure was that ?

PA

the Mini had sliding windows, ;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used
a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution
but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Yes, I remember those. And it not being so easy to just crack the window
open.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

I'd say pre WW2, and possibly immediately after.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used
a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution
but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Yes, I remember those. And it not being so easy to just crack the window
open.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

I'd say pre WW2, and possibly immediately after.

Well into the 60s I think, electric windows were exotic extras back
then.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

I remember this being mentioned in a car programme, probably in the
1960's. I think in the context of it enabling hand signals quickly
without all the winding (Virtually no electric windows in those days).
I've never actually seen one though. ISTR it was on something larger,
older, and conservative; the Rover / Humber / Armstrong Siddeley type.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used
a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution
but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Yes, I remember those. And it not being so easy to just crack the window
open.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

I'd say pre WW2, and possibly immediately after.

Well into the 60s I think, electric windows were exotic extras back
then.

Rovers which crossed 1960 in production would have been the P4 and P5.
Both had conventional window winders.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

I had a 1947 Rover 12 with that type of window handle (only on the
driver's side). It meant you could open the window very quickly when you
wanted to hurl abuse at other motorists.g

I think a lot of London taxis had handles like that too.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used
a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution
but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

I had a 1947 Rover 12 with that type of window handle (only on the
driver's side). It meant you could open the window very quickly when you
wanted to hurl abuse at other motorists.g

I think a lot of London taxis had handles like that too.

Something like this?

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto...ebay973770.jpg

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 14:04, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used
a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution
but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

I had a 1947 Rover 12 with that type of window handle (only on the
driver's side). It meant you could open the window very quickly when you
wanted to hurl abuse at other motorists.g

I think a lot of London taxis had handles like that too.

Something like this?

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto...ebay973770.jpg

Tim

Well done, I didn't think I had imagined it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 14:04, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used
a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution
but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

I had a 1947 Rover 12 with that type of window handle (only on the
driver's side). It meant you could open the window very quickly when you
wanted to hurl abuse at other motorists.g

I think a lot of London taxis had handles like that too.

Something like this?

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto...ebay973770.jpg

Tim

Yes, just like that!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like an early Reliant to me....
Seriously, you mean a knob on the glass itself which was pulled up and down
with a clip at either end? I think it was quite popular in very early closed
in models for a time. Some early cars had opening back windows a bit like a
house window. I'm sure if you can imagine it, somebody tried it!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used
a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution
but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Probably the handle would slice you in half in a side impact collision

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 10:09:00 AM UTC, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

Our 1950s Rover 75 had one for the driver. It was very handy.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 11:02, Peter Able wrote:
Only remember window winder handles

Wasn't it lovely when you could just open the window a crack for some
fresh air but no rain, a struggle with electric windows IME.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On 26/01/2021 11:02, Peter Able wrote:
Only remember window winder handles

Wasn't it lovely when you could just open the window a crack for some
fresh air but no rain, a struggle with electric windows IME.

You must have very odd electric windows. ;-)

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On 26/01/2021 11:02, Peter Able wrote:
Only remember window winder handles

Wasn't it lovely when you could just open the window a crack for some
fresh air but no rain, a struggle with electric windows IME.

You must have very odd electric windows. ;-)

They move quite urgently. I take it some are slower, smoother?

Its impossible to open them just a tiny little bit, so my strategy is to
open them too much then try to time the closing perfectly to get just a
little gap.

Takes a few goes and is distracting. First world problems though eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
On 26/01/2021 11:02, Peter Able wrote:
Only remember window winder handles

Wasn't it lovely when you could just open the window a crack for some
fresh air but no rain, a struggle with electric windows IME.

You must have very odd electric windows. ;-)

They move quite urgently. I take it some are slower, smoother?

I'd guess so. I do remember having an old Jag where they were faster than
the car. My last two makes have a double press button - I'd guess by Bosch.
press lightly for stop start or heavier for all the way. And no problem
flicking it to crack the window open.

Its impossible to open them just a tiny little bit, so my strategy is to
open them too much then try to time the closing perfectly to get just a
little gap.

Takes a few goes and is distracting. First world problems though eh?

Not unreasonable to want to open the window to your needs.

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 2:04:49 PM UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 26/01/2021 10:08, fred wrote:
Many years ago i saw a car, I think it may have been a Rover, which used
a long handle to open or close the window. It was a very simple solution
but went the way of lots of good ideas.

Anyone remember this? If so what model featured it.

I had a 1947 Rover 12 with that type of window handle (only on the
driver's side). It meant you could open the window very quickly when you
wanted to hurl abuse at other motorists.g

I think a lot of London taxis had handles like that too.

Something like this?

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto...ebay973770.jpg

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Well done. Thats it. I also found it on a Pinterest search on a 1947 Rover P2 sports saloon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 06:48:34 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID: