Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default HMRC Fraud Purveyor

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon has brought this to us :
Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

They mentioned that scam just this morning in a consumer program.

I have all unknown callers filtered out on my landline number by my
phone system, I only rarely get them on my mobile so not much of an
issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It will be a different number shown tomorrow. I get those on my mobile
really irritating but on the home phone true call won't let them past.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"jon" wrote in message ...

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2021 15:49, critcher wrote:
On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

At one time that could have committed you to a significant charge on a
premium rate line. I am not sure if that scam has been "trapped".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Had one today I'd had years ago, so knew well. Very polite young sounding
man claiming to be a detective sergeant from Hammersmith police. And that
they'd caught someone using my credit card.

Asked him for his full name and rank and I'd phone back the police station
using the number in the book. And then got the reply they were in a
special incident room not on the switchboard. So carried on and asked a
few stupid questions. Whole thing ended up in laughter both ends. Rather
enjoyed it while self isolating - not much else to do.

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

At one time that could have committed you to a significant charge on a
premium rate line. I am not sure if that scam has been "trapped".

I will admit to getting a tad annoyed when folks repeat urban myths like
this without actually thinking it through!

How would that actually work?

They phoned you. You have not disconnected the call, so all you would be
doing is extending the duration of the existing call *at their expense*.

If they asked you to phone them back, then yes, that is call you could
be charged for. Even then, it should usually be fairly obvious you are
dialling a premium number since it starts 09, 070, or 118 etc. (and
those are governed by the PSA, so you have means of redress in cases of
abuse):

https://psauthority.org.uk/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

At one time that could have committed you to a significant charge on a
premium rate line. I am not sure if that scam has been "trapped".

I will admit to getting a tad annoyed when folks repeat urban myths like
this without actually thinking it through!

you are not alone - but sadly I feel too old to bother doing anything
about it

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 15:49:28 +0000, critcher
wrote:

On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

A former neighbour of mine handed the phone to her five year old and
told him to talk to the nice man on the phone. Personally, I would
not take that risk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

At one time that could have committed you to a significant charge on a
premium rate line. I am not sure if that scam has been "trapped".

Taking a call has always been free. The scam you're probably thinking is
where someone phoned you with a premium number hoping you'd phone them back.

Premium texts are more nasty where you pay on receipt. Some operators
allow you to block them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

At one time that could have committed you to a significant charge on a
premium rate line. I am not sure if that scam has been "trapped".

AIUI, this is just urban myth - and there's no way you can be charged
for simply pressing 1 (or any other button). Nevertheless, some Google
research might be useful.

FWIW, yesterday I had six calls from various numbers advising me that
someone had ordered an iPad on my Amazon account - and suggesting that I
press 1 to speak to the accounts department if I wanted to cancel it.
Despite what I said above, so far I have resisted the temptation (just
in case!).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Taking a call has always been free.

Except 0800-reverse (do operator connected reverse-charge calls still
exist?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You cannot do that as its a recorded message. Often the system assumes if
you press a key you have agreed to something, next hing you know they your
energy over to bloggs power.

"critcher" wrote in message
On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

You cannot do that as its a recorded message. Often the system assumes if
you press a key you have agreed to something, next hing you know they
your energy over to bloggs power.

But with ours, your original supplier asks you if you
agreed to the change of supplier and if you didn’t,
it doesn’t happen.

"critcher" wrote in message
On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Sleepless Obnoxious Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 02:27:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
Bill Wright to Rodent Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound formulated on Friday :
At one time that could have committed you to a significant charge on a
premium rate line. I am not sure if that scam has been "trapped".

Lots of rumours of that, but it is impossible. Only you can dial a
premium rate number on your line, you cannot be transferred to one
mid-call.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :
Whole thing ended up in laughter both ends. Rather
enjoyed it while self isolating - not much else to do.

Well done, those calls usually end with a very annoyed scammer slamming
the phone down rather quickly, once you are rumbled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

At one time that could have committed you to a significant charge on a
premium rate line. I am not sure if that scam has been "trapped".

No it couldn't

it's impossible to be charged for an incoming call

(unless roaming of course)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Had one today I'd had years ago, so knew well. Very polite young sounding
man claiming to be a detective sergeant from Hammersmith police. And that
they'd caught someone using my credit card.

Asked him for his full name and rank and I'd phone back the police station
using the number in the book.

there are no police station numbers "in the book" anymore

haven't been for decades

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

You cannot do that as its a recorded message. Often the system assumes
if you press a key you have agreed to something, next hing you know they
your energy over to bloggs power.

But with ours, your original supplier asks you if you
agreed to the change of supplier and if you didn’t,
it doesn’t happen.

we used to do that

but then someone who doesn't understand how things work, decided that
switched took too long and wanted to set a limit for them to be done in 24
hours

which, of course, now leaves no time for such checking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote :
You cannot do that as its a recorded message. Often the system assumes if
you press a key you have agreed to something, next hing you know they your
energy over to bloggs power.
Brian

I think that is a legal requirement - I have swapped several times and
each time my current supplier has asked me to confirm I want to move
away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 08:45, tim... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

You cannot do that as its a recorded message. Often the system assumes
if you press a key you have agreed to something, next hing you know they
your energy over to bloggs power.

Press the key and then take the opportunity to enjoy wasting their time.
They don't react to well when you ask if their mother is still on the game.

But with ours, your original supplier asks you if you
agreed to the change of supplier and if you didn’t,
it doesn’t happen.

we used to do that

but then someone who doesn't understand how things work, decided that
switched took too long and wanted to set a limit for them to be done in 24
hours

which, of course, now leaves no time for such checking

All energy switches have a 14 day cooling off period and the company
you're leaving checks with you.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Had one today I'd had years ago, so knew well. Very polite young sounding
man claiming to be a detective sergeant from Hammersmith police. And that
they'd caught someone using my credit card.

Asked him for his full name and rank and I'd phone back the police station
using the number in the book.

there are no police station numbers "in the book" anymore

haven't been for decades

And there's no book anymore either.

You phone 0800 555 111 for the met police and explain who you want.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Had one today I'd had years ago, so knew well. Very polite young sounding
man claiming to be a detective sergeant from Hammersmith police. And that
they'd caught someone using my credit card.

Asked him for his full name and rank and I'd phone back the police station
using the number in the book.

there are no police station numbers "in the book" anymore

haven't been for decades

And there's no book anymore either.

You phone 0800 555 111 for the met police and explain who you want.

That's the number for Crimestoppers - the UK wide charity for people who
want to offer information anonymously.

The Met's general number is 020 7230 1212 - the direct descendent from
Whitehall 1212.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Had one today I'd had years ago, so knew well. Very polite young sounding
man claiming to be a detective sergeant from Hammersmith police. And that
they'd caught someone using my credit card.

Asked him for his full name and rank and I'd phone back the police station
using the number in the book.

there are no police station numbers "in the book" anymore

haven't been for decades

And there's no book anymore either.

You phone 0800 555 111 for the met police and explain who you want.

That's the number for Crimestoppers - the UK wide charity for people who
want to offer information anonymously.

The Met's general number is 020 7230 1212 - the direct descendent from
Whitehall 1212.

Thanks. Just shows how often I need to phone the police.
But the techique put off the fraudsters anyway.

--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 10:40, F wrote:
On 25/01/2021 08:45, tim... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

You cannot do that as its a recorded message. Often the system
assumes if you press a key you have* agreed to something, next hing
you know they your energy over to bloggs power.

Press the key and then take the opportunity to enjoy wasting their time.
They don't react to well when you ask if their mother is still on the game.

And when they say "no", you demand a refund since she charged you after
you boned her last night!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 19:08, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/01/2021 10:40, F wrote:
On 25/01/2021 08:45, tim... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

You cannot do that as its a recorded message. Often the system
assumes if you press a key you have* agreed to something, next hing
you know they your energy over to bloggs power.

Press the key and then take the opportunity to enjoy wasting their time.
They don't react to well when you ask if their mother is still on the game.

And when they say "no", you demand a refund since she charged you after
you boned her last night!

I shall add that to my repertoire. Thank you.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

there are no police station numbers "in the book" anymore
haven't been for decades

There are a few ...

https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/Business/TypeSearch/?BusinessSearchTerm=police&BusinessSearchType=bus& Location=london&BusinessTypeFound=True&LocationFou nd=True

voter fraud! Mexican Citizen Sentenced To 8 Years In Prison ForVoter Fraud In TX burfordTjustice Home Repair 0 February 10th 17 08:44 PM
HMRC - VAT Returns Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 17 October 9th 08 01:07 PM
Phishing from HMRC? OT cynic UK diy 6 June 12th 08 07:56 PM
Internet Fraud reporting Laserlover Electronics 0 December 20th 04 01:44 PM