Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default HMRC Fraud Purveyor

On 22/01/2021 15:53, newshound wrote:
On 22/01/2021 15:49, critcher wrote:
On 22/01/2021 13:52, jon wrote:

Just blocked number: 07560790859 a voice wanted me to press '1' to
connect.

should have kept em on line and strung them along for 1/2 hour.

At one time that could have committed you to a significant charge on a
premium rate line. I am not sure if that scam has been "trapped".

I will admit to getting a tad annoyed when folks repeat urban myths like
this without actually thinking it through!

How would that actually work?

They phoned you. You have not disconnected the call, so all you would be
doing is extending the duration of the existing call *at their expense*.

If they asked you to phone them back, then yes, that is call you could
be charged for. Even then, it should usually be fairly obvious you are
dialling a premium number since it starts 09, 070, or 118 etc. (and
those are governed by the PSA, so you have means of redress in cases of
abuse):

https://psauthority.org.uk/

--
Cheers,