Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outside water pipes and freezing...

We've a 15mm plastic mains water pipe on an outside wall.

I haven't got around to lagging it yet so as a precaution i've been
turning it's supply off in the evening and had been expecting to open it
up and find it frozen.

Having had no bother and it being zero and under recently around these
parts i'm wondering at what sort of temperature you'd actually get freezing?

I realise that rather than debating this, a better use of my time would
be to go and get some lagging!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2021 15:02, R D S wrote:
We've a 15mm plastic mains water pipe on an outside wall.

I haven't got around to lagging it yet so as a precaution i've been
turning it's supply off in the evening and had been expecting to open it
up and find it frozen.

Having had no bother and it being zero and under recently around these
parts i'm wondering at what sort of temperature you'd actually get
freezing?

I realise that rather than debating this, a better use of my time would
be to go and get some lagging!

below zero with no flow and wind.

I had a radiator freeze INSIDE a cottage once

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S pretended :
Having had no bother and it being zero and under recently around these parts
i'm wondering at what sort of temperature you'd actually get freezing?

Any temperature sub-zero is cold enough, but it also depends on how
long it it below zero.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2021 15:02, R D S wrote:
We've a 15mm plastic mains water pipe on an outside wall.

I haven't got around to lagging it yet so as a precaution i've been
turning it's supply off in the evening and had been expecting to open it
up and find it frozen.

Having had no bother and it being zero and under recently around these
parts i'm wondering at what sort of temperature you'd actually get
freezing?

It is generally a combination of temperature and wind speed that does
it. Metal pipes being somewhat more prone to it IME. How fast the heat
gets out of the water determines whether it freezes or not.

I realise that rather than debating this, a better use of my time would
be to go and get some lagging!

It is actually quite mild today 9C but the road is running like a river.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
R D S pretended :
Having had no bother and it being zero and under recently around these parts
i'm wondering at what sort of temperature you'd actually get freezing?

Any temperature sub-zero is cold enough, but it also depends on how
long it it below zero.

However MDPE (black or blue) seems to be quite OK when frozen, we have
quite a bit of exposed MDPE pipe outside and it has been frozen and
thawed quite a few times over the years with no apparent ill effects.
(It feeds a couple of horse waterers so temporary blockage doesn't
matter)

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Green
writes
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
R D S pretended :
Having had no bother and it being zero and under recently around
these parts
i'm wondering at what sort of temperature you'd actually get freezing?

Any temperature sub-zero is cold enough, but it also depends on how
long it it below zero.

However MDPE (black or blue) seems to be quite OK when frozen, we have
quite a bit of exposed MDPE pipe outside and it has been frozen and
thawed quite a few times over the years with no apparent ill effects.
(It feeds a couple of horse waterers so temporary blockage doesn't
matter)

The important point is that water expands as it freezes and exerts
considerable force whilst doing so. MDPE pipe is flexible and
accommodates this, copper does not and splits or maybe forces open a
compression joint. Of course you don't know about this until the water
thaws.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bert wrote:
In article , Chris Green
writes
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
R D S pretended :
[...]

Yes, of course, I thought the OP's original message indicated that the
pipework in question was mostly MDPE. Our outside MDPE pipework has
metal 'endings' as it were and these have always survived OK. There's
a standpipe style tap at one point and two pretty standard ball float
valves in the horse waterers. These have survived many years of
occasional freezing.

--
Chris Green
·

Outside loo and freezing Booty UK diy 12 December 16th 10 01:36 AM
Sump Pump Water Freezing Outside The House Andy Champ[_2_] UK diy 6 January 1st 10 11:06 PM
Insulation for a trailer, underside and freezing pipes cshenk Home Repair 10 January 22nd 09 02:06 AM
water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers water coolers UK diy 3 January 5th 06 08:23 PM
Freezing Pipes or Pipes frozen could the Instant Hot Water Recirculator from RedyTemp work [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 11th 04 12:18 PM