Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Portable Carbon Monoxide tester?

We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester which is
good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive than
the ones designed for permanent installation.

Any recommendations based on experience most welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Jan 2021 18:23:48 GMT, David wrote:

We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester which
is good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

"2. Safety Information"
"Do not use the meter as a personal safety monitor."

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive than
the ones designed for permanent installation.

CO is rather insidious toxin. It's not a simple above a certain level
you'll likely die. True enough the higher the concentration the
quicker you die but long exposures to low levels can also kill and/or
be bad for your general health. The CO binds very tightly to your
haemoglobin and stops it being able to carry oxygen around your body.
The tight bonding means that even low levels can build up high levels
of carboxyhaemoglobin.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/carbon...ide-poisoning/

A decent CO alarm has several alert states which sort of range from
"Hey, there is more than background CO about" to "Get the F out
NOW!".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 18:23, David wrote:
We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester which is
good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive than
the ones designed for permanent installation.

Any recommendations based on experience most welcome.

We have a FireAngel with a digital display which happily sits there
showing anything 20-odd ppm when others indicate nothing because they
are designed to start /sounding/ warnings only at levels above 50.
Model is no longer available but I think it likely current digital ones
from FireAngel and from other makers (eg Kidde) with digital displays
would do likewise.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
On 07/01/2021 18:23, David wrote:
We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester which is
good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive than
the ones designed for permanent installation.

Any recommendations based on experience most welcome.

Canary?

I think they detected methane (was called firedamp then) rather than CO.

.... and was this a recommendation "based on experience"? :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 23:15, Robin wrote:
On 07/01/2021 18:23, David wrote:
We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester
which is
good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive than
the ones designed for permanent installation.

Any recommendations based on experience most welcome.

Probably about the same.

We have a FireAngel with a digital display which happily sits there
showing anything 20-odd ppm when others indicate nothing because they
are designed to start /sounding/ warnings only at levels above 50. Model
is no longer available but I think it likely current digital ones from
FireAngel and from other makers (eg Kidde) with digital displays would
do likewise.

Mine is a FireAngel CO-828 and is very loud if you test it. I hardly
ever see a reading on it in normal use of the woodburner and have to
deliberately waft smoke at it to see a reading. I think mine will
indicate in multiples of 5ppm but can't be sure. Most of the time it
sits at 0. I have to deliberately provoke with smoke it for a full test.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 09:14, Chris Green wrote:
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 07/01/2021 18:23, David wrote:
We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester which is
good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive than
the ones designed for permanent installation.

Any recommendations based on experience most welcome.

Canary?

I think they detected methane (was called firedamp then) rather than CO.

... and was this a recommendation "based on experience"? :-)

http://elcosh.org/video/3801/a000096...-monoxide.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
On 07/01/2021 18:23, David wrote:
We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester which is
good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive than
the ones designed for permanent installation.

Any recommendations based on experience most welcome.

Canary?

I think they detected methane (was called firedamp then) rather than CO.

I think both.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15965188

... and was this a recommendation "based on experience"? :-)

If so I hope (with an eye to the RSPCA's enthusiasm for prosecutions) it
was with means to resuscitate the canary on the lines of

https://blog.scienceandindustrymuseu...-resuscitator/

Mind you, I've no idea of the H&S requirements for using an oxygen
cylinder in the same room as a log burner

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The Aico devices with a display will show lower levels (above 10ppm) and
show pre-triggering with a flashing LED and display icon before the
audio alarm is triggered.

The audio alarm will trigger after a certain time based on the
concentration of CO2 although the visual pre-trigger indication is
immediate.

After approx 70 minutes at a concentration of 40 to 80 ppm
After approx 18 minutes at a concentration of 80 to 150 ppm
After approx 40 seconds at a concentration greater than 150 ppm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester which is
good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive than
the ones designed for permanent installation.

Any recommendations based on experience most welcome.

Lidl have a battery CO alarm on offer from next Thursday - £13.

--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester which is
good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive than
the ones designed for permanent installation.

There are 'personal gas detectors', eg:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?limi...noxide&sra=oss

I think I would trust those that have calibration against some standard over
random-brand Chinese ones from Amazon.

(for a similar reason, I don't buy unbranded smoke detectors from ebay)

A randomly selected one:
https://docs.rs-online.com/6faf/0900766b803e8cee.pdf
is specced at:

Type of sensor:electrochemical, specifically for CO.
Calibration of the sensor:calibrated by the manufacturer with asource
at 205 ppm.
Measuring range :Nominal: from 0 to 1000 ppm (2000 ppm for amaximum
period of 5 minutes).
Accuracy:+- 5% of the reading +- 5 ppm (from 0 to 1000ppm).
Response time: 70 seconds to 90% of the
measurement
Long-term drift:5% per year, depending on the frequency of use

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jan 2021 13:06:29 +0000, Theo wrote:

David wrote:
We have a mains powered CO tester in the same room as our log burner.

However I am wondering if there is a sensitive portable CO tester which
is good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handheld-Mo...ector-0%EF%BD%
9E1000ppm/dp/B08CSLLXVC/
is an example after a quick search.

The main question is if these detectors are more accurate/sensitive
than the ones designed for permanent installation.

There are 'personal gas detectors', eg:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?

limit=100&pn=1&r=t&searchTerm=monoxide&sra=oss

I think I would trust those that have calibration against some standard
over random-brand Chinese ones from Amazon.

(for a similar reason, I don't buy unbranded smoke detectors from ebay)

A randomly selected one:
https://docs.rs-online.com/6faf/0900766b803e8cee.pdf is specced at:

Type of sensor:electrochemical, specifically for CO.
Calibration of the sensor:calibrated by the manufacturer with
asource at 205 ppm.
Measuring range :Nominal: from 0 to 1000 ppm (2000 ppm for amaximum
period of 5 minutes).
Accuracy:+- 5% of the reading +- 5 ppm (from 0 to 1000ppm).
Response time: 70 seconds to 90% of the measurement Long-term
drift:5% per year, depending on the frequency of use

Theo

Cheapest is about £130 (didn't check for VAT and shipping).
Wondering if a cheapo one would be "good enough".
That is, not accurate enough to certify a gas boiler after service or give
a detailed read out but to enough to discriminate between:

Not very much

Hmmmm.....

Oh, ****!

It is making a wall mounted one with a read out (not just warning beep)
look like a potential option.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Cheapest is about £130 (didn't check for VAT and shipping).
Wondering if a cheapo one would be "good enough".
That is, not accurate enough to certify a gas boiler after service or give
a detailed read out but to enough to discriminate

It is making a wall mounted one with a read out (not just warning beep)
look like a potential option.

I'd go with one of the ones with a display from a brand like Aico or Fire
Angel. You know those have been certified to UK regs and have some degree
of quality control behind them.

I imagine they're OK to use in 'portable' mode if you treat them as if they
are fixed - don't wander around with them, leave them resting somewhere for
some minutes to acclimatise, paying attention to the instructions about how
they should be 'mounted' (which you aren't doing, of course, but will still
affect the reading).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2021 19:41, David wrote:

Cheapest is about £130 (didn't check for VAT and shipping).

Wondering if a cheapo one would be "good enough".
That is, not accurate enough to certify a gas boiler after service or give
a detailed read out but to enough to discriminate between:

Something that is used to officially to certify a gas boiler would need
a calibration certificate and regular calibration to check that it was
still in tolerance. A one off calibration is unlikely to be cheap.

Why do you need something more sensitive or accurate than a fixed room
mounted device? Instantaneous readings are possibly not as important as
the average value over a period of time. All the devices will sound off
quickly when levels get to life threatening levels and after a longer
time if levels stay above the acceptable limit.

Are electric oil-filled radiator heaters a carbon monoxide risk? [email protected] Home Repair 23 December 30th 05 01:41 PM
Carbon monoxide Dee UK diy 5 October 5th 05 05:01 PM
Gas Hot Water Heater and Carbon Monoxide Amateur Home Ownership 4 August 11th 05 08:36 PM
Carbon monoxide detectors chemqueries Home Repair 24 March 25th 05 02:09 AM
Carbon Monoxide Detector F UK diy 18 February 4th 05 01:59 PM