Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crikey. We have a little gas capacity left

It's cold. ****ING cold. The Dutch interconnector is borked. French and
Belgian interconnectors running flat out. Wood burners flat out. Hydro
and pumped nearly flat out. Nuclear as flat out as the number of
reactors not in maintenance allows. No solar. **** all wind. Coal
running as high as I have seen it in 5 years and OCGT is above anything
i've ever recorded.

There seems to be some margin left in gas but its mighty close.

https://gridwatch.org.uk/

If only global warming worked and CO2 made us warm we would be toasty.

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It's cold. ****ING cold.

Yes didn't notice what the frost got down to overnight, but with the fog
all morning the sun didn't get round to melting it in the afternoon.

The Dutch interconnector is borked.

Hinckley B, Dungeness B and one unit of Heysham nukes offline too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Yes didn't notice what the frost got down to overnight, but with the
fog all morning the sun didn't get round to melting it in the afternoon.

Around here (south wet mudlands), it got down to -2.6, and very briefly
early afternoon got up to the dizzy heights of -0.2, now back down to
-2. The sun was sort of visible for about half an hour, but only as a
slightly brighter spot through the fog.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 17:57, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It's cold. ****ING cold.

Yes didn't notice what the frost got down to overnight, but with the fog
all morning the sun didn't get round to melting it in the afternoon.

The Dutch interconnector is borked.

Hinckley B, Dungeness B and one unit of Heysham nukes offline too.

System price, normally about £40/MWh peaked at over £1500/MWh.
No wonder hydro and coal and OCGT are flat out. Filling their boots.

Yes folks, that's £1.50 per unit.

Gotta lurve the money we didn't spend on nukes but onb windmills and
solar panels

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 18:08, Adrian wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Yes didn't notice what the frost got down to overnight, but with the
fog all morning the sun didn't get round to melting it in the afternoon.

Around here (south wet mudlands), it got down to -2.6, and very briefly
early afternoon got up to the dizzy heights of -0.2, now back down to
-2. The sun was sort of visible for about half an hour, but only as a
slightly brighter spot through the fog.

Adrian

Clearish skys here but its -1 and drizzling.

**** this. I'm going to have a gin and tonic and light the wood stove.
Might be all the heat if the power goes down

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's cold. ****ING cold. The Dutch interconnector is borked. French and
Belgian interconnectors running flat out. Wood burners flat out. Hydro
and pumped nearly flat out. Nuclear as flat out as the number of
reactors not in maintenance allows. No solar. **** all wind. Coal
running as high as I have seen it in 5 years and OCGT is above anything
i've ever recorded.

There seems to be some margin left in gas but its mighty close.

https://gridwatch.org.uk/

If only global warming worked and CO2 made us warm we would be toasty.

Just had a look at the Gridwatch France site. I see their demand is over
87GW, compared to ours at just under 47GW. Considering the population
levels are about the same, do you know what accounts for this 85% higher
demand in France? Your rollover notes that it does not include what
France is exporting. Surely it's not heavy industry, especially with the
effect Covid is having.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

Just had a look at the Gridwatch France site. I see their demand is over
87GW, compared to ours at just under 47GW. Considering the population
levels are about the same, do you know what accounts for this 85% higher
demand in France?

Less gas, more electric heating?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's cold. ****ING cold. The Dutch interconnector is borked. French and
Belgian interconnectors running flat out. Wood burners flat out. Hydro
and pumped nearly flat out. Nuclear as flat out as the number of
reactors not in maintenance allows.* No solar. **** all wind. Coal
running as high as I have seen it in 5 years and OCGT is above anything
i've ever recorded.

There seems to be some margin left in gas but its mighty close.

https://gridwatch.org.uk/

If only global warming worked and CO2 made us warm we would* be toasty.

https://gridwatch.co.uk/?src=lk01

no probs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 19:08, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
It's cold. ****ING cold. The Dutch interconnector is borked. French
and Belgian interconnectors running flat out. Wood burners flat out.
Hydro and pumped nearly flat out. Nuclear as flat out as the number of
reactors not in maintenance allows.* No solar. **** all wind. Coal
running as high as I have seen it in 5 years and OCGT is above
anything i've ever recorded.

There seems to be some margin left in gas but its mighty close.

https://gridwatch.org.uk/

If only global warming worked and CO2 made us warm we would* be toasty.

https://gridwatch.co.uk/?src=lk01

no probs

Plenty of Hydro up here in the near of Scotland.....Independence NOW !!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 18:38, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Just had a look at the Gridwatch France site. I see their demand is over
87GW, compared to ours at just under 47GW. Considering the population
levels are about the same, do you know what accounts for this 85% higher
demand in France?

Less gas, more electric heating?

I think you're right. See Figure 6 at
https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/13/8/1894/pdf (figures from 2015). No
wonder Poland wants to keep coal!

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

Just had a look at the Gridwatch France site. I see their demand is over
87GW, compared to ours at just under 47GW. Considering the population
levels are about the same, do you know what accounts for this 85% higher
demand in France?

Less gas, more electric heating?

I think you're right. See Figure 6 at
https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/13/8/1894/pdf (figures from 2015). No
wonder Poland wants to keep coal!

what are all the gas engineers going to do ?...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/01/2021 17:57, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It's cold. ****ING cold.

Yes didn't notice what the frost got down to overnight, but with the fog
all morning the sun didn't get round to melting it in the afternoon.

Are you working away:-)?

-3 when I set off this morning. -4 and foggy when I got to work and I
never saw the sun. Waterpipe to the site cabin is frozen and the frost
on the back lawn and portaloo never melted.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 18:36, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

France went nuclear in 1970 something - OPEC raised oil priuces, De
Gaulle said '**** the Arabs' and built, nukes. Electricity wasn't too
cheap to meter, but it was ****ing cheap and france had no gas and sod
all coal so leccy is what they heat their homes with.

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remember some years back that this also happened, 1963 was it, where some
people were cut off for a while but the grid was a bit ad hoc and the
insulation of houses back then was pants. It must be very difficult to judge
capacity needed, but one wonders if a lot of companies are shut at the
moment due to the virus, what might happen if they all came back on and
wanted power as well?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
It's cold. ****ING cold. The Dutch interconnector is borked. French and
Belgian interconnectors running flat out. Wood burners flat out. Hydro and
pumped nearly flat out. Nuclear as flat out as the number of reactors not
in maintenance allows. No solar. **** all wind. Coal running as high as I
have seen it in 5 years and OCGT is above anything i've ever recorded.

There seems to be some margin left in gas but its mighty close.

https://gridwatch.org.uk/

If only global warming worked and CO2 made us warm we would be toasty.

--
It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been
fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

They use electricity for heating much more than we do.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Service or just bust?

two reactors for graphite crack inspection, five for statutory outage
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 20:48, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Service or just bust?

two reactors for graphite crack inspection, five for statutory outage

The AGRs are all getting old. EDF have recently reduced some of their
expectations (although I see they are going for life extension for
Sizewell B)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

France also used to ship LNG across the Med from North Africa.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 20:17:30 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

but one wonders if a lot of companies are shut at the moment due to the
virus,

Are many, non-leisure business's shut? Work, if you can't work from
home, is one of the reasons for leaving your home.

There hasn't be a great drop off in daytime demand this week like
there was at the end of March.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , newshound
[...]

so did we before North Sea gas came on-line.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

System price, normally about £40/MWh peaked at over £1500/MWh.
No wonder hydro and coal and OCGT are flat out. Filling their boots.

Yes folks, that's £1.50 per unit.

That's why they want consumers on smart meters - they can pass that cost
on immediately. And people think it's about monthly billing being
accurate, and a gee-whiz! remote display.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

France has/had quite a lot of coal in the North East region, but it
wasn't of particularly good quality (but probably better than the
lignite crap that Poland and Germany burn)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 22:16, newshound wrote:
[...]

Still does, it would seem

https://www.britannica.com/place/Fra...rces-and-power

Posted to uk.d-i-y

15 foot snowdrifts make for quite a good igloo when piled
up around your house though.

me and my friends walked 2.5 miles each way to school,
up and down a long steep road that was sheet ice (no buses
running).

Andrew

On 07/01/2021 20:17, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I remember some years back that this also happened, 1963 was it, where some
people were cut off for a while but the grid was a bit ad hoc and the
insulation of houses back then was pants. It must be very difficult to judge
capacity needed, but one wonders if a lot of companies are shut at the
moment due to the virus, what might happen if they all came back on and
wanted power as well?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2021 19:12, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
It's cold. ****ING cold. The Dutch interconnector is borked. French
and Belgian interconnectors running flat out. Wood burners flat out.
Hydro and pumped nearly flat out. Nuclear as flat out as the number of
reactors not in maintenance allows.* No solar. **** all wind. Coal
running as high as I have seen it in 5 years and OCGT is above
anything i've ever recorded.

There seems to be some margin left in gas but its mighty close.

https://gridwatch.org.uk/

If only global warming worked and CO2 made us warm we would* be toasty.

totly

what does TOTLY stand for please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"No Name" wrote in message
news
On 07/01/2021 19:12, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
It's cold. ****ING cold. The Dutch interconnector is borked. French and
Belgian interconnectors running flat out. Wood burners flat out. Hydro
and pumped nearly flat out. Nuclear as flat out as the number of
reactors not in maintenance allows. No solar. **** all wind. Coal
running as high as I have seen it in 5 years and OCGT is above anything
i've ever recorded.

There seems to be some margin left in gas but its mighty close.

https://gridwatch.org.uk/

If only global warming worked and CO2 made us warm we would be toasty.

totly

what does TOTLY stand for please?

Its how hairy legged cross dressers haggis gorgers say totally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:09 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

fOn Sat, 9 Jan 2021 04:09:45 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

04:09??? Is it trolling time already, you sick senile swine?

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

System price, normally about £40/MWh peaked at over £1500/MWh.

£2750 peak price today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2021 19:13, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

System price, normally about £40/MWh peaked at over £1500/MWh.

£2750 peak price today.

You are ****ing kidding me.. £2.70 a unit!

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

£2750 peak price today.

You are ****ing kidding me.. £2.70 a unit!

And a few minutes ago (just after pumped hydro ran out?) it reached £4000

Where you chaps seeing these spot prices, BTW?

current
https://electricinsights.co.uk/#/homepage?_k=dbwaem

historic
https://electricinsights.co.uk/#/dashboard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

£2750 peak price today.

You are ****ing kidding me.. £2.70 a unit!

And a few minutes ago (just after pumped hydro ran out?) it reached £4000

Where you chaps seeing these spot prices, BTW?

current
https://electricinsights.co.uk/#/homepage?_k=dbwaem

historic
https://electricinsights.co.uk/#/dashboard

https://www.bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=eds/main

looks like it peaked at £4000/MWh yesterday = £4 a unit.

Thank you Princess NutNutz

--
Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,

Ludwig von Mises
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

£2750 peak price today.

You are ****ing kidding me.. £2.70 a unit!

And a few minutes ago (just after pumped hydro ran out?) it reached £4000

Where you chaps seeing these spot prices, BTW?

current
https://electricinsights.co.uk/#/homepage?_k=dbwaem

historic
https://electricinsights.co.uk/#/dashboard

https://www.bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=eds/main

looks like it peaked at £4000/MWh* yesterday = £4 a unit.

Thank you Princess NutNutz

Isn't harming the Drax share price though

Crikey! Rudy Canoza[_5_] Metalworking 47 May 8th 17 10:03 PM
Gas water heater capacity RepairNovice[_2_] Home Repair 41 August 26th 08 06:54 PM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Ownership 3 June 18th 07 06:34 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 18th 07 05:32 AM
Estimate gas pipe capacity.... Main Medway DIYSOS UK diy 21 March 19th 05 11:45 AM