Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fireworks at new year

Quite why some people think it such a good idea to mount five mortars in
their garden and fire pro display stuff skywards for nearly half an hour
last night eludes me. The houses shook and as far as I am aware such high
power reusable devices are not supposed to be used in domestic gardens.
I guess this stuff comes from China.

I know bah humbug and don't be a grouch etc, but its really getting to be
any old excuse and all that money is basically burned and blown up.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Quite why some people think it such a good idea to mount five mortars in
their garden and fire pro display stuff skywards for nearly half an hour
last night eludes me. The houses shook and as far as I am aware such high
power reusable devices are not supposed to be used in domestic gardens.
I guess this stuff comes from China.

I know bah humbug and don't be a grouch etc, but its really getting to be
any old excuse and all that money is basically burned and blown up.

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the
front of my house?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know bah humbug and don't be a grouch etc, but its really getting to be
any old excuse and all that money is basically burned and blown up.

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the
front of my house?

I totally agree. Surely we all know what a "bang" is like - why do people
need to buy their own?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 09:45:58 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the
front of my house?

Well I tend to agree that some random collection of inflatable
santas, static reindeer frame works and miscellaneous set of flashing
lights is decidely tacky a good display on the other hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmAPW39uE

That's from 2005 and is probably incandesant light sets. Technolgy
has moved on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY9vcUhcNIo

2020 indiavidually addressable RGB LEDs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2021 08:59, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Quite why some people think it such a good idea to mount five mortars in
their garden and fire pro display stuff skywards for nearly half an hour
last night eludes me. The houses shook and as far as I am aware such high
power reusable devices are not supposed to be used in domestic gardens.
I guess this stuff comes from China.

I know bah humbug and don't be a grouch etc, but its really getting to be
any old excuse and all that money is basically burned and blown up.
Brian

Round here the first lot kicked off at 22:30 FFS. At least the rest were
all at close to midnight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I couldn't agree more. I've just had to pick off remains and wash my newish car roof because it was sprinkled with cardboard remains and some purple dust from similar fireworks from a ****'s display 2 doors down. Selfish morons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
Round here the first lot kicked off at 22:30 FFS. At least the rest were
all at close to midnight.

I wonder whether anyone set off fireworks at 23:00 to celebrate the
separation between UK and EU. I live in an area which is probably mainly in
favour of Brexit so I was half expecting to hear fireworks, air-horns,
church bells etc. But nothing, either at 23:00 (Brexit) or 00:00 (New Year).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but the Christmas light merely cause rf interference for a few weeks,
with the way fireworks seem to be being used for birthdays and religious
celebrations and anything else its all in danger of spiralling out of
control. Sooner or later there will be a major accident from one of these
highly dangerous pro firework devices.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Quite why some people think it such a good idea to mount five mortars in
their garden and fire pro display stuff skywards for nearly half an hour
last night eludes me. The houses shook and as far as I am aware such high
power reusable devices are not supposed to be used in domestic gardens.
I guess this stuff comes from China.

I know bah humbug and don't be a grouch etc, but its really getting to be
any old excuse and all that money is basically burned and blown up.

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the front
of my house?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm told the bang is merely accidental due to the use of the mortar
principal to launch the pretty bit skyward. They are, supposedly more
controllable than rockets, but maybe people should simply hire a huge
screen and do a cgi display instead.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..

I know bah humbug and don't be a grouch etc, but its really getting to be
any old excuse and all that money is basically burned and blown up.

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the
front of my house?

I totally agree. Surely we all know what a "bang" is like - why do people
need to buy their own?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 09:45:58 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Quite why some people think it such a good idea to mount five mortars in
their garden and fire pro display stuff skywards for nearly half an hour
last night eludes me. The houses shook and as far as I am aware such high
power reusable devices are not supposed to be used in domestic gardens.
I guess this stuff comes from China.

I know bah humbug and don't be a grouch etc, but its really getting to be
any old excuse and all that money is basically burned and blown up.

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the
front of my house?

Or the lack of consideration re the animals that suffer (wild and
domestic) from fireworks but I don't suppose that matters to some?
What mentality of those who don't care about animals eh!

I was out walking the dog in amongst it and ours doesn't happen to GAF
but many do.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2021 09:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Quite why some people think it such a good idea to mount five mortars in
their garden and fire pro display stuff skywards for nearly half an hour
last night eludes me. The houses shook and as far as I am aware such high
power reusable devices are not supposed to be used inÂ* domestic gardens.
I guess this stuff comes from China.

I know bah humbug and don't be a grouch etc, but its really getting to be
any old excuse and all that money is basically burned and blown up.

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the
front of my house?

I would love to have five mortars in my garden and fire thousands of
quids worth of pro display stuff out of them even if only to **** the
**** out of Brian.

Maybe I will leave instructions in my will to that effect...at my
funeral, as a last '**** you' sort of gesture.

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2021 11:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 09:45:58 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the
front of my house?

Well I tend to agree that some random collection of inflatable
santas, static reindeer frame works and miscellaneous set of flashing
lights is decidely tacky a good display on the other hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmAPW39uE

That's from 2005 and is probably incandesant light sets. Technolgy
has moved on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY9vcUhcNIo

Ghastly ghastly compression on the backing track. Techno at its worst

2020 indiavidually addressable RGB LEDs.

What we should so is have exterior building cladding that comprises LCD
displays of e.g. mountain scenery to get rid of the ghastliness of low
rent urban landscapes.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 09:45:58 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on the
front of my house?

Well I tend to agree that some random collection of inflatable
santas, static reindeer frame works and miscellaneous set of flashing
lights is decidely tacky a good display on the other hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmAPW39uE

That's from 2005 and is probably incandesant light sets. Technolgy
has moved on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY9vcUhcNIo

2020 indiavidually addressable RGB LEDs.

Umm.. from a irredeemable old fart POV while very clever/expensive that
is the sort of thing that should have the local planning dept. issuing
enforcement notices!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 11:14:37 +0000, newshound wrote:
Round here the first lot kicked off at 22:30 FFS. At least the rest were
all at close to midnight.

They were probably 'celebrating' Brexit for 11 p.m.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in news:rsn3i6$l9r$1
@dont-email.me:

I'm told the bang is merely accidental due to the use of the mortar
principal to launch the pretty bit skyward. They are, supposedly more
controllable than rockets, but maybe people should simply hire a huge
screen and do a cgi display instead.
Brian

Or laser show onto generated smoke or mist

Perhaps Fire and Explosions had a primordial appeal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Quite why some people think it such a good idea to mount five mortars in
their garden and fire pro display stuff skywards for nearly half an hour
last night eludes me.

We had them in a neighbour's garden, but far worse, some **** took a
large box full to the local park and set them off. Having finished
their display, they then went home leaving all the detritus in the park
for other people to pick up. Cardboard boxes, sticks, bits of plastic
everywhere. WTF can't they, having carried their **** to the park in
the first place, then carry the remains home afterwards, or at least put
it in any of the three bins in the park? Arseholes.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 14:06:45 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Similar mentality to the how many Christmas lights can I fit on

the
front of my house?

Well I tend to agree that some random collection of inflatable
santas, static reindeer frame works and miscellaneous set of

flashing
lights is decidely tacky a good display on the other hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmAPW39uE

That's from 2005 and is probably incandesant light sets. Technolgy
has moved on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY9vcUhcNIo

2020 indiavidually addressable RGB LEDs.

Umm.. from a irredeemable old fart POV while very clever/expensive

It's got a lot easier over the last few years. It was very much DIY,
on both the hardware and software side. Now you just need to buy
cheap modules, hook them together load the software and Bob is your
fathers brother. Apart from the imagination required to set the
lights to the music...

... that is the sort of thing that should have the local planning dept.
issuing enforcement notices!

At the speed councils operate it would have been and gone. In the US
they are often raising not inconsiderable amounts of money for local
charities and have limited "show times".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 11:31:40 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

snip

We had them in a neighbour's garden, but far worse, some **** took a
large box full to the local park and set them off. Having finished
their display, they then went home leaving all the detritus in the park
for other people to pick up. Cardboard boxes, sticks, bits of plastic
everywhere. WTF can't they, having carried their **** to the park in
the first place, then carry the remains home afterwards, or at least put
it in any of the three bins in the park? Arseholes.

Exactly our thought when out dog walking today. One airbomb battery
(of 140 I think it said on the wrapper) with at least half a dozen
smaller versions 'fly tipped' under a dog waste bin? More in other
places along the street.

I found the two halves of a ~1m long rocket stick in a side road that
was at least 15mm square and I'm sure would have done damage if it
landed on a person, greenhouse or roof / bonnet of a car.

As long as *they* are having fun it doesn't matter about anyone or
thing else.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/01/2021 19:00, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 11:31:40 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

snip

[...]

And what laws have they broken?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2021 12:14, T i m wrote:

Or the lack of consideration re the animals that suffer (wild and
domestic) from fireworks but I don't suppose that matters to some?
What mentality of those who don't care about animals eh!

I was out walking the dog in amongst it and ours doesn't happen to GAF
but many do.

I'm told that our family dog, which died before I was born, not only
refused to go in the Anderson shelter but would sit on top of it barking
at the German bombers - either that or possibly doing so to encourage
the nearby battery of ground-shaking 3.7" AA guns.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 12:24:52 +0000
Spike wrote:

On 01/01/2021 12:14, T i m wrote:

Or the lack of consideration re the animals that suffer (wild and
domestic) from fireworks but I don't suppose that matters to some?
What mentality of those who don't care about animals eh!

I was out walking the dog in amongst it and ours doesn't happen to
GAF but many do.

I'm told that our family dog, which died before I was born, not only
refused to go in the Anderson shelter but would sit on top of it
barking at the German bombers - either that or possibly doing so to
encourage the nearby battery of ground-shaking 3.7" AA guns.

Did it bark to the tune of Rule Britannia, Burt?

OT - fireworks for the Jubilee celebrations? David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 16 May 29th 12 10:41 AM
OT. First fireworks Mike P the 1st[_2_] UK diy 29 October 21st 10 01:52 PM
Fireworks (OT) John UK diy 27 October 21st 09 11:03 AM
SOFIANE BAHRI 0021275831620 new year 2007 new year 2007 new year 2007 Sofiane Le King Of Internet UK diy 0 January 1st 07 11:50 AM
Pioneer A-717 MkII keep making fireworks Livio Electronics Repair 1 August 15th 05 10:37 AM