Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fireworks (OT)

Had a leaflet from Homebase advertising (amongst other things) a firework
"Cake". It had well over 100 roman candle type events for about £17.

Who needs that? Wouldn't it be boring after about 10?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Had a leaflet from Homebase advertising (amongst other things) a firework
"Cake". It had well over 100 roman candle type events for about £17.

Who needs that? Wouldn't it be boring after about 10?

No. It will be boring because it is pathetic and cheap.

Buy some proper fireworks.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Had a leaflet from Homebase advertising (amongst other things) a
firework "Cake". It had well over 100 roman candle type events for
about £17.
Who needs that? Wouldn't it be boring after about 10?

Firework month round thisaway: "Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang
bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang...". Repeat
for at least a month. It's great. We love it.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Firework month round thisaway: "Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang
bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang...". Repeat
for at least a month. It's great. We love it.

Si

Ditto.

(Which makes me wonder all the more at everyone feeling the need for
their OWN bang bang bang. As I see it, if I wanted bang bang bang, it
would be an advantage if someone else paid.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
wrote
Had a leaflet from Homebase advertising (amongst other things) a firework
"Cake". It had well over 100 roman candle type events for about £17.

Aldi have something similar (100 shot Solar Storm) @ £9.99 on Thursday
22nd October.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week43Thursday09.htm

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Firework month round thisaway: "Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang
bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang
bang...". Repeat for at least a month. It's great. We love it.

Si

Ditto.

(Which makes me wonder all the more at everyone feeling the need for their
OWN bang bang bang. As I see it, if I wanted bang bang bang, it would be
an advantage if someone else paid.)

--
Rod

Oh I really agree - It is Dwali and I am surrounded. It will keep me going
until New Year.

I don't need my own bang bang bang whistle bang bang..
Saves££££££££££££££££££££

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Mungo \"Two
Sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
John wrote:
Had a leaflet from Homebase advertising (amongst other things) a
firework "Cake". It had well over 100 roman candle type events for
about £17.
Who needs that? Wouldn't it be boring after about 10?

Firework month round thisaway: "Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang
bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang...". Repeat
for at least a month. It's great. We love it.

Yeah - got treated to one tonight

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Firework month round thisaway: "Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang
bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang
bang bang...". Repeat for at least a month. It's great. We love it.

Si

Ditto.

(Which makes me wonder all the more at everyone feeling the need for
their OWN bang bang bang. As I see it, if I wanted bang bang bang,
it would be an advantage if someone else paid.)

--
Rod

Oh I really agree - It is Dwali and I am surrounded. It will keep me
going until New Year.

I don't need my own bang bang bang whistle bang bang..
Saves££££££££££££££££££££

Hee,hee! I'd just texted my wife earlier. Our dog that is with her in the
farther outposts of Wales is missing his opportunities to rip our curtains
and " sort those bl^^dy fireworks out" here in deepest Leics. where Diwali
is being celebrated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Oct, 20:13, "John" wrote:
Had a leaflet from Homebase advertising (amongst other things) a firework
"Cake". It had well over 100 roman candle type events for about £17.

More like tiny mortars than candles, and I love them.

Kimbolton (Rev Lancaster) does make exceedingly good cakes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:58:53 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
had this to say:

On 17 Oct, 20:13, "John" wrote:
Had a leaflet from Homebase advertising (amongst other things) a firework
"Cake". It had well over 100 roman candle type events for about £17.

More like tiny mortars than candles, and I love them.

I really can't see any point in 'fireworks' that simply go Bang, apart
from annoying the neighbours and terrifying pets.
To me, they're just mindless.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Oct, 20:13, "John" wrote:
Had a leaflet from Homebase advertising (amongst other things) a
firework
"Cake". It had well over 100 roman candle type events for about £17.

More like tiny mortars than candles, and I love them.

I really can't see any point in 'fireworks' that simply go Bang, apart
from annoying the neighbours and terrifying pets.
To me, they're just mindless.

Why else would folks light 'em at 1 in the morning?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

brass monkey wrote:

Why else would folks light 'em at 1 in the morning?

If only fireworks had a time control - can only explode between 19:00
and 21:00 or something like that. I can reluctantly put up with them for
a while but definitely not when trying to get to sleep.

And many years ago I used to attend the local display which was always
impressive. The point there seemed to be very loud explosions followed
however many seconds later by the visual displays. With the resultant
crowd pleasing being assessed by the volume of Ooh-Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

In those days it seemed as if hardly anyone in the area bought their own
except those with children too young to take the big display.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What a lot of old moaners! Have you all forgotton that fireworks are FUN?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:45:09 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

I really can't see any point in 'fireworks' that simply go Bang,

To frighten away the demons, that is not in the christian culture
though.

If you think it's bad here you ought to visit China just before New
Year and at the moment of New Year you can't hear yourself think
inside a building let alone outside for the noise from firecrackers
etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
What a lot of old moaners! Have you all forgotton that fireworks are FUN?

Certainly not forgotten. But the people who let them have all too often
forgotten that they should be considerate to others. I really struggle
to see what fun there is in a succession of bangs spread out over pretty
much every day, evening and night for several weeks.

And in contrast to the Blue Peter message of many years ago, there is
absolutely zero consideration for animals.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

What a lot of old moaners! Have you all forgotton that fireworks are FUN?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Overrated - unless you just want to impress people that you have money to
burn.

I get my fix from going out into the garden at midnight on New Years Eve and
see enough to last me for a year - and I don't even need to have my own
bang - I share other people's bangs.

I think they can get monotonous. My original post related to the number of
roman candle type things in a "Cake" for £17. At over 100 I can't believe
many people would have the staying power to find it fun for so long.

I used to go to a firework party when the kids were smaller - after about 10
mins the kids were in the house playing with toys and all the grown ups were
at the buffet table whilst the poor host was trying to set off all the
fireworks that the guests had brought along to impress the other guests. We
learned from this after about 3 years and the invite then said - Bring a
bottle - Barbecue if dry. We could watch other peoples fireworks and
circulate without treading on fireworks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I used to go to a firework party when the kids were smaller - after about 10
mins the kids were in the house playing with toys and all the grown ups were
at the buffet table ...

Nah, ye need indoor fireworks on the table.

This one is a bit weird.

http://www.indoorfireworks.co.uk/ind...kes-alive.html

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

What a lot of old moaners! Have you all forgotton that fireworks are
FUN?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Overrated - unless you just want to impress people that you have money to
burn.

If it is showing off if one person is trying to impress. But when you club
together to buy bigger and better fireworks as a group it is not.

I get my fix from going out into the garden at midnight on New Years Eve
and see enough to last me for a year - and I don't even need to have my
own bang - I share other people's bangs.

Cheapskate:-)

I think they can get monotonous. My original post related to the number of
roman candle type things in a "Cake" for £17. At over 100 I can't believe
many people would have the staying power to find it fun for so long.

TBH that firework lasts about 15 seconds. There are some good fireworks out
there.

I used to go to a firework party when the kids were smaller - after about
10 mins the kids were in the house playing with toys and all the grown ups
were at the buffet table whilst the poor host was trying to set off all
the fireworks that the guests had brought along to impress the other
guests. We learned from this after about 3 years and the invite then
said - Bring a bottle - Barbecue if dry. We could watch other peoples
fireworks and circulate without treading on fireworks.

You forgot the bonfire. Fireworks are only half of the fun. Well a quarter
of the fun if you include the food and the drinks as seperate items.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod
wibbled on Sunday 18 October 2009 12:26

The Medway Handyman wrote:
What a lot of old moaners! Have you all forgotton that fireworks are
FUN?

Certainly not forgotten. But the people who let them have all too often
forgotten that they should be considerate to others. I really struggle
to see what fun there is in a succession of bangs spread out over pretty
much every day, evening and night for several weeks.

And in contrast to the Blue Peter message of many years ago, there is
absolutely zero consideration for animals.

If it needs regulation, the answer might be to make it an offence to let off
fireworks outside of approved dates *without a special license*, those
being the 5th November (and I mean the 5th, not some random Saturday or
Sunday withing a few weeks), and one or two other festival times for
religions.

That doesn't mean organised fireworks can't operate and it doesn't prevent a
display at a big wedding but it does mean you'd have to justify it and be
made aware of not being a pain.

I love fireworks - I loved having them in our back garden when I was small.
But it's only fun if everyone locks their pets away for *one* day and gets
all the bangs over and done with.

I hate the random drawn out wibbling that seems to happen these days. I also
hate Xmas stuff being in the shops more or less now, etc etc. It dilutes
the festival to the point no one cares...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I think that Diwali is somewhat more significant then celebrating an
attempted assassination in Parliament! Most of the current wave of fireworks
will be your local Sikhs and Hindu's celebrating their religious festival.

Diwali : a row of lamps is a significant festival in Hinduism, Buddhism,
Sikhism, and Jainism, Adherents of these religions celebrate Diwali as the
Festival of Lights. In Britain, Hindus and Sikhs celebrate Diwali with great
enthusiasm and in most ways very similarly to as in India. People clean and
decorate their homes with lamps and candles.A popular type of candle used to
represent this holiday is a diya. People also give each other sweets such as
laddoo and barfi, and the different communities may gather from around the
country for a religious ceremony and get-together. It is also an important
time to contact family in India and perhaps exchange gifts through the post.
It is a greatly celebrated holiday and is a great way to connect with the
culture and heritage of India. Diwali is becoming a well known festival in
Britain and non-Indians also join in the festivities. Leicester plays hosts
to some of the biggest celebrations outside of India itself. Diwali also
coincides closely enough with the British Guy Fawkes (Bonfire Night)
traditions on November the 5th that in many areas, such as the East End of
London, a kind of joint festival has evolved where everyone celebrates and
enjoys the same fire and fireworks for their own diverse reasons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Oct, 19:29, Tim W wrote:

If it needs regulation, the answer might be to make it an offence to let off
fireworks outside of approved dates *without a special license*, those
being the 5th November (and I mean the 5th, not some random Saturday or
Sunday withing a few weeks), and one or two other festival times for
religions.

So I'd need a licence for granny's 100th and the feast of St Woolo,
but burning Catholics in effigy is OK ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley
wibbled on Sunday 18 October 2009 23:31

On 18 Oct, 19:29, Tim W wrote:

If it needs regulation, the answer might be to make it an offence to let
off fireworks outside of approved dates *without a special license*,
those being the 5th November (and I mean the 5th, not some random
Saturday or Sunday withing a few weeks), and one or two other festival
times for religions.

So I'd need a licence for granny's 100th and the feast of St Woolo,
but burning Catholics in effigy is OK ?

Dunno - we usually burn the Prime Minister or somesuch down these parts -
and that's the official village event ;-

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is/was an active usenet group that gives all the necessary details on
making any fireworks ...
rec . pyrotechnics

not been on group for a while - so un sure if thought police have closed
this down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes
wibbled on Tuesday 20 October 2009 12:31

There is/was an active usenet group that gives all the necessary details
on making any fireworks ...
rec . pyrotechnics

not been on group for a while - so un sure if thought police have closed
this down.

Looks alive and well. Not sure how the UK police could close down an
international USENET group, nor how they could justify trying, as
pyrotechnics isn't illegal in of itself.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote in message
Rick Hughes
wibbled on Tuesday 20 October 2009 12:31

There is/was an active usenet group that gives all the necessary details
on making any fireworks ...
rec . pyrotechnics

not been on group for a while - so un sure if thought police have closed
this down.

Looks alive and well. Not sure how the UK police could close down an
international USENET group, nor how they could justify trying, as
pyrotechnics isn't illegal in of itself.

I didn't actually say UK Police .........

BTW ... Governments can ban things when they want to, all they would have to
do is prove that home made explosives are being made as a result of data on
the group and they could shut it down using anti-terrorist laws.
rec.pyrotechnics used to frequently point to hosting sites for TBBOM and
PMJB and the Anarchists Cookbook, all documents that are public domain, but
severely frowned upon by people in government.

They don't like seeing the recipies contained in them ... now many people on
rec.pyrotechnics used to make PE4, Naplam, Nitro, TNT etc.

China simply didn't want external internet sites accessed by it's citizens
... and successfully had them closed down to China .... so you can shut
international sites.

I am not advocating any of this .. just aware of realities.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:

They don't like seeing the recipies contained in them ... now many people on
rec.pyrotechnics used to make PE4, Naplam, Nitro, TNT etc.

I remember a chemistry practical at school where we made NT;
probably ended up with a mixture of mono- and di-nitrotoluene.
(Can't recall if it was O-level or A-level.)
Had to keep the test tube running under a tap to keep it cool.
At the end of the lesson, someone's blew up when they poured it
down the sink. Teacher thought it was probably triggered by some
other chemical residue in the sink. Blew out a ceiling tile, but
no other harm done.

I bet they don't do that in GCSE or A-level chemistry any more.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
What a lot of old moaners! Have you all forgotton that fireworks are
FUN?

Fizzing and whooshing I have no problem with. Monotonous banging, however, I
could quite happily muffle by shoving the ****ing things making the noise up
the arses of the people who lit them, whilst gleefully mimicking the banging
with a wooden mallet on the heads of *any* ****er who dared to complain and
say it's FUN!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
What a lot of old moaners! Have you all forgotton that fireworks are
FUN?

Fizzing and whooshing I have no problem with. Monotonous banging,
however, I could quite happily muffle by shoving the ****ing things
making the noise up the arses of the people who lit them, whilst
gleefully mimicking the banging with a wooden mallet on the heads of
*any* ****er who dared to complain and say it's FUN!

Maybe it's an age thing but I've certainly grown bored with the repetitve
banging of so many modern fireworks. Of course when I were a lad, we had
exciting things like jumping jacks, hand held fireworks and aeroplanes that
took off horizontally & unpredictably. So much more fun.

Tim