Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Fireworks (OT)

"Tim W" wrote in message
Rod
wibbled on Sunday 18 October 2009 12:26

The Medway Handyman wrote:
What a lot of old moaners! Have you all forgotton that fireworks are
FUN?

Certainly not forgotten. But the people who let them have all too often
forgotten that they should be considerate to others. I really struggle
to see what fun there is in a succession of bangs spread out over pretty
much every day, evening and night for several weeks.

And in contrast to the Blue Peter message of many years ago, there is
absolutely zero consideration for animals.

If it needs regulation, the answer might be to make it an offence to let
off
fireworks outside of approved dates *without a special license*, those
being the 5th November (and I mean the 5th, not some random Saturday or
Sunday withing a few weeks), and one or two other festival times for
religions.

That doesn't mean organised fireworks can't operate and it doesn't prevent
display at a big wedding but it does mean you'd have to justify it and be
made aware of not being a pain.

I love fireworks - I loved having them in our back garden when I was
small.
But it's only fun if everyone locks their pets away for *one* day and gets
all the bangs over and done with.

I hate the random drawn out wibbling that seems to happen these days. I
also
hate Xmas stuff being in the shops more or less now, etc etc. It dilutes
the festival to the point no one cares...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

I think that Diwali is somewhat more significant then celebrating an
attempted assassination in Parliament! Most of the current wave of fireworks
will be your local Sikhs and Hindu's celebrating their religious festival.

Diwali : a row of lamps is a significant festival in Hinduism, Buddhism,
Sikhism, and Jainism, Adherents of these religions celebrate Diwali as the
Festival of Lights. In Britain, Hindus and Sikhs celebrate Diwali with great
enthusiasm and in most ways very similarly to as in India. People clean and
decorate their homes with lamps and candles.A popular type of candle used to
represent this holiday is a diya. People also give each other sweets such as
laddoo and barfi, and the different communities may gather from around the
country for a religious ceremony and get-together. It is also an important
time to contact family in India and perhaps exchange gifts through the post.
It is a greatly celebrated holiday and is a great way to connect with the
culture and heritage of India. Diwali is becoming a well known festival in
Britain and non-Indians also join in the festivities. Leicester plays hosts
to some of the biggest celebrations outside of India itself. Diwali also
coincides closely enough with the British Guy Fawkes (Bonfire Night)
traditions on November the 5th that in many areas, such as the East End of
London, a kind of joint festival has evolved where everyone celebrates and
enjoys the same fire and fireworks for their own diverse reasons.