Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13A Sockets with USB sockets

I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of these, either in
their socket bar or normal outlet combined form. The info I'm looking for is
not whether they actually produce the 5vdc at a decent amperage, but how
quiet they are radio interference wise when in use. So many wall warts you
can buy seem to be doubling as radio jammers all the way through the
spectrum from long wave to vhf, and all places in between. Silent ones can
be made since the one I got with my mobile phone a couple of years ago is
completely silent, so rocket science it is not, its just cheap carp design
in my view.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had one for a while. No problem with interference that I noticed but
amperage was crap for a modern phone or tablet. I reverted back to
walmart.

In article , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of these, either in
their socket bar or normal outlet combined form. The info I'm looking for
is not whether they actually produce the 5vdc at a decent amperage, but
how quiet they are radio interference wise when in use. So many wall
warts you can buy seem to be doubling as radio jammers all the way
through the spectrum from long wave to vhf, and all places in between.
Silent ones can be made since the one I got with my mobile phone a couple
of years ago is completely silent, so rocket science it is not, its just
cheap carp design in my view. Brian

I have a number of multi-outlet strips with USB outlets. I haven't taken
an AM radio near them, but VHF seems fine. I'll try and find a working AM
radio and take a look.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 19:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
at a decent amperage

Come on Brian, you're not an idiot. Amperage? You mean "at a decent
current" if you want to be taken seriously.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Dec 2020 at 22:00:00 GMT, "mm0fmf" wrote:

On 28/12/2020 19:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
at a decent amperage

Come on Brian, you're not an idiot. Amperage? You mean "at a decent
current" if you want to be taken seriously.

Amperage is a perfectly good colloquialism. Maybe not in the rarefied circles
you inhabit.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
On 28 Dec 2020 at 22:00:00 GMT, "mm0fmf" wrote:

On 28/12/2020 19:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
at a decent amperage

Come on Brian, you're not an idiot. Amperage? You mean "at a decent
current" if you want to be taken seriously.

Amperage is a perfectly good colloquialism. Maybe not in the rarefied circles
you inhabit.

It also hints at the magnitude of the current, 'amperage' to me
suggests a few amps.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of these, either in
their socket bar or normal outlet combined form. The info I'm looking
for is not whether they actually produce the 5vdc at a decent amperage,
but how quiet they are radio interference wise when in use. So many wall
warts you can buy seem to be doubling as radio jammers all the way
through the spectrum from long wave to vhf, and all places in between.
Silent ones can be made since the one I got with my mobile phone a
couple of years ago is completely silent, so rocket science it is not,
its just cheap carp design in my view.

They seem fine here. But are metal plate sockets in steel backing boxes.
Plastic may not be as good.

--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
I had one for a while. No problem with interference that I noticed but
amperage was crap for a modern phone or tablet. I reverted back to
walmart.

I have one from TLC. Two gang plate but only one socket. The USB side
drives anything I've tried. One USB delivers 2.1 amps. Total for all four,
5 amps.

You need to check the spec before buying. Same as anything, really.

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 19:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of these, either in
their socket bar or normal outlet combined form. The info I'm looking for is
not whether they actually produce the 5vdc at a decent amperage, but how
quiet they are radio interference wise when in use. So many wall warts you
can buy seem to be doubling as radio jammers all the way through the
spectrum from long wave to vhf, and all places in between. Silent ones can
be made since the one I got with my mobile phone a couple of years ago is
completely silent, so rocket science it is not, its just cheap carp design
in my view.
Brian

bought a set and couldn't get all the wires back into the patress box so
took it back....stupid having usb which will last a few years at most in
a switch socket that will last decades....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 22:00, mm0fmf wrote:
On 28/12/2020 19:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
at a decent amperage

Come on Brian, you're not an idiot. Amperage? You mean "at a decent
current" if you want to be taken seriously.

I say coinage as well as that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 23:33, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 28 Dec 2020 at 22:00:00 GMT, "mm0fmf" wrote:

On 28/12/2020 19:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
at a decent amperage

Come on Brian, you're not an idiot. Amperage? You mean "at a decent
current" if you want to be taken seriously.

Amperage is a perfectly good colloquialism. Maybe not in the rarefied circles
you inhabit.

you tell the ******* Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 12:25, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

bought a set and couldn't get all the wires back into the patress box so
took it back....stupid having usb which will last a few years at most in
a switch socket that will last decades....

Yes, there is no switching of the input power to the USB circuit - the
circuit is being powered 24/365. In the case of Brian's request, if the
usb circuit in these wall plates does produce RF interference then it
cannot just be easily unplugged.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 19:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of these, either in
their socket bar or normal outlet combined form. The info I'm looking for is
not whether they actually produce the 5vdc at a decent amperage, but how
quiet they are radio interference wise when in use. So many wall warts you
can buy seem to be doubling as radio jammers all the way through the
spectrum from long wave to vhf, and all places in between. Silent ones can
be made since the one I got with my mobile phone a couple of years ago is
completely silent, so rocket science it is not, its just cheap carp design
in my view.

They tend to mostly offer the low power 1A option so not really that
useful. There is one in our village hall because a wall wart might walk.

There is no guarantee which ones will be electrically noisy. The worst I
ever saw was a BT DECT phone charger which doubled as a mobile phone
jammer. Cheap and nasty Chinese chargers have a bad habit of missing out
some or all of the interference suppression measures to save cost.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:40:25 +0000, alan_m wrote:

...stupid having usb which will last a few years at most in a switch
socket that will last decades....

Yes, there is no switching of the input power to the USB circuit - the
circuit is being powered 24/365.

Consuming power, admitedly not much per socket but a lot of tiny
amounts soon add up to a big amount. 25 million households, average
of one of these sockets per house hold (some may have none some
several...) 0.25 W each = 6.25 MW,

In the case of Brian's request, if the usb circuit in these wall plates
does produce RF interference then it cannot just be easily unplugged.

Most of them do to a greater or lessor extent, in my experience a
moderately RF quiet one is rare.

Not to mention the fire risk from some elctronics permenantly connect
to the mains and subject to all the spikes and crap on that. And if
it does catch fire no easy way of removing the power.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 14:23, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:40:25 +0000, alan_m wrote:

...stupid having usb which will last a few years at most in a switch
socket that will last decades....

Yes, there is no switching of the input power to the USB circuit - the
circuit is being powered 24/365.

Consuming power, admitedly not much per socket but a lot of tiny
amounts soon add up to a big amount. 25 million households, average
of one of these sockets per house hold (some may have none some
several...) 0.25 W each = 6.25 MW,

More the point is that the circuits have common components that would
fail after a lifetime much shorter than expected for a main socket. Many
of the USB circuits have electrolytic capacitors that have been
shoehorned into a tight space unsuited for keeping them cool.

Not to mention the fire risk from some elctronics permenantly connect
to the mains and subject to all the spikes and crap on that. And if
it does catch fire no easy way of removing the power.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 12:40, alan_m wrote:
On 29/12/2020 12:25, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

bought a set and couldn't get all the wires back into the patress box
so took it back....stupid having usb which will last a few years at
most in a switch socket that will last decades....

Yes, there is no switching of the input power to the USB circuit - the
circuit is being powered 24/365.Â* In the case of Brian's request, if the
usb circuit in these wall plates does produce RF interference then it
cannot just be easily unplugged.

I recently saw one with 2 or 3 USB sockets, featuring a push button to
turn power off and on to them, as well as the usual switches for the 13A
sockets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 10:05, Chris Green wrote:
'amperage' to me
suggests a few amps.

When I hear people using "amperage" I want to make sure I don't use
anything electrical that may have been working on as it indicates
someone who is clueless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Not to mention the fire risk from some elctronics permenantly connect
to the mains and subject to all the spikes and crap on that. And if
it does catch fire no easy way of removing the power.

Surely a socket is already in a fire proof'd enclosure?

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 22:00, mm0fmf wrote:
On 28/12/2020 19:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
at a decent amperage

Come on Brian, you're not an idiot. Amperage? You mean "at a decent
current" if you want to be taken seriously.

I suppose you always say "electromotive force" and never voltage.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/12/2020 12:40, alan_m wrote:
On 29/12/2020 12:25, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

bought a set and couldn't get all the wires back into the patress box
so took it back....stupid having usb which will last a few years at
most in a switch socket that will last decades....

Yes, there is no switching of the input power to the USB circuit - the
circuit is being powered 24/365.Â* In the case of Brian's request, if the
usb circuit in these wall plates does produce RF interference then it
cannot just be easily unplugged.

I believe the MK ones use no power unless a USB plug is inserted.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 21:29, ARW wrote:
On 29/12/2020 12:40, alan_m wrote:
On 29/12/2020 12:25, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

bought a set and couldn't get all the wires back into the patress box
so took it back....stupid having usb which will last a few years at
most in a switch socket that will last decades....

Yes, there is no switching of the input power to the USB circuit - the
circuit is being powered 24/365.Â* In the case of Brian's request, if
the usb circuit in these wall plates does produce RF interference then
it cannot just be easily unplugged.

I believe the MK ones use no power unless a USB plug is inserted.

I had installed some USB sockets in two bedrooms on both sides of the
two double beds.

All was well until a power cut. When the power was restored, only two of
the 4 double sockets worked on their USB ports

So they were replaced.

Then another time, when I had a need to de-energise the circuit for some
works, the two remaining double sockets never worked on their USB ports
again when the RCBO was turned back on.

It seems if the caps dry out, the USB power circuits remain operative
until the next power cycle..... then the USB ports no longer work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:45:48 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not to mention the fire risk from some elctronics permenantly

connect
to the mains and subject to all the spikes and crap on that. And

if
it does catch fire no easy way of removing the power.

Surely a socket is already in a fire proof'd enclosure?

Plastic dryline box fitted into a timber stud wall?
Metal box mounted on a noggin in a timber stud wall?

Granted not high risk of burning the place down, provided bits of
burning plastic don't fall onto the carpet. But there would no doubt
be smoke damage to decoration and replacing the possibly
burnt/damaged fixed wiring might be interesting.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They do not sound to me like they are any better or sometimes as good as the
wall warts, so I think I'll shelve that idea. I came across a sofa the other
day with them built into the hinged arm rest. I guess they will appear all
over the place but the underlying driving hardware is still going to be the
el cheapo Chinese switch mode psu I suppose.

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:45:48 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not to mention the fire risk from some elctronics permenantly

connect
to the mains and subject to all the spikes and crap on that. And

if
it does catch fire no easy way of removing the power.

Surely a socket is already in a fire proof'd enclosure?

Plastic dryline box fitted into a timber stud wall?

Spawn of Satan, those. ;-)

Metal box mounted on a noggin in a timber stud wall?

Granted not high risk of burning the place down, provided bits of
burning plastic don't fall onto the carpet. But there would no doubt
be smoke damage to decoration and replacing the possibly
burnt/damaged fixed wiring might be interesting.

Is that actually worse than the usual wall wart doing the same job? More
likely to be damaged by bashing it, etc?

I must have dozens of the things. Some - like for DECT phones powered
24/7. Not had any burst into flames yet.

A socket is already a possible source of fire. Overloaded, poor quality,
badly tightened terminals etc. And handling lots of amps. Given it is
reasonably protected from starting a fire because of that, I'd say it
safer than an external power supply.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
They do not sound to me like they are any better or sometimes as good as
the wall warts, so I think I'll shelve that idea. I came across a sofa
the other day with them built into the hinged arm rest. I guess they
will appear all over the place but the underlying driving hardware is
still going to be the el cheapo Chinese switch mode psu I suppose.

Well, there's a nice business opportunity for the UK now free of EU
shackles. Become the world's supplier of high quality wall warts. And all
the other 'el cheapo Chinese' rubbish everyone apparently hates so much.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of these, either in
their socket bar or normal outlet combined form. The info I'm looking for
is not whether they actually produce the 5vdc at a decent amperage, but
how quiet they are radio interference wise when in use

I've now managed to get an AM radio beside one of my mains strips which
incorporates a couple of USB supply sockets.

Listening to 909. I note some interference when I'm about 18" away from
the strip. The level of that interference is unchanged if charging happens
or not.

Charles

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/12/2020 13:11, Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/12/2020 19:57, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of these, either in
their socket bar or normal outlet combined form. The info I'm looking
for is
not whether they actually produce the 5vdc at a decent amperage, but how
quiet they are radio interference wise when in use. So many wall warts
you
can buy seem to be doubling as radio jammersÂ* all the way through the
spectrum from long wave to vhf, and all places in between. Silent ones
can
be made since the one I got with my mobile phone a couple of years ago is
completely silent, so rocket science it is not, its just cheap carp
design
in my view.

They tend to mostly offer the low power 1A option so not really that
useful. There is one in our village hall because a wall wart might walk.

Scolmore now do 3A ones.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/products/...boxes-127x68mm

https://bbcmews.co.uk/news

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 31/12/2020 16:40, ARW wrote:
On 29/12/2020 22:52, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:45:48 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not to mention the fire risk from some elctronics permenantly

connect
to the mains and subject to all the spikes and crap on that. And

if
it does catch fire no easy way of removing the power.

Surely a socket is already in a fire proof'd enclosure?

Plastic dryline box fitted into a timber stud wall?
Metal box mounted on a noggin in a timber stud wall?

Granted not high risk of burning the place down, provided bits of
burning plastic don't fall onto the carpet. But there would no doubt
be smoke damage to decoration and replacing the possibly
burnt/damaged fixed wiring might be interesting.

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/products/...boxes-127x68mm

https://bbcmews.co.uk/news

should be

https://www.directtradesupplies.co.u...gasket--white-