Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sockets

My wife had not forgiven me for not specifying brushed chrome sockets and
switches in the kinchen when it was extended'

She even said she would accept some as a Xmas present - fine by me and I
would enjoy fitting them.

Not the case. They were a very tight fit into the back boxes - making final
alignment improssible without moving the back box. The boxes were flush to
the wall face.

The space for the wires was very restricted - especially where there was a
spur off the ring.

2 hours and 6 sockets later and I now need some polyfilla and paint.

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 13:32, JohnP wrote:
My wife had not forgiven me for not specifying brushed chrome sockets and
switches in the kinchen when it was extended'

She even said she would accept some as a Xmas present - fine by me and I
would enjoy fitting them.

Not the case. They were a very tight fit into the back boxes - making final
alignment improssible without moving the back box. The boxes were flush to
the wall face.

The space for the wires was very restricted - especially where there was a
spur off the ring.

2 hours and 6 sockets later and I now need some polyfilla and paint.

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.

******* disabled your spellchecker too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.

******* disabled your spellchecker too.

"electrician!" Annoyingly some of the new sockets fouled on the grommets
of the incoming cables.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 13:32, JohnP wrote:
My wife had not forgiven me for not specifying brushed chrome sockets and
switches in the kinchen when it was extended'

She even said she would accept some as a Xmas present - fine by me and I
would enjoy fitting them.

Not the case. They were a very tight fit into the back boxes - making final
alignment improssible without moving the back box. The boxes were flush to
the wall face.

The space for the wires was very restricted - especially where there was a
spur off the ring.

2 hours and 6 sockets later and I now need some polyfilla and paint.

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.

indeed I had to use box extenders to get all the wires back in...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 13:50, JohnP wrote:

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.

******* disabled your spellchecker too.

"electrician!" Annoyingly some of the new sockets fouled on the grommets
of the incoming cables.

Only in the kinchen, or prossibly somewhere else?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/12/2020 13:32, JohnP wrote:
My wife had not forgiven me for not specifying brushed chrome sockets and
switches in the kinchen when it was extended'

She even said she would accept some as a Xmas present - fine by me and I
would enjoy fitting them.

Not the case. They were a very tight fit into the back boxes - making final
alignment improssible without moving the back box. The boxes were flush to
the wall face.

The space for the wires was very restricted - especially where there was a
spur off the ring.

2 hours and 6 sockets later and I now need some polyfilla and paint.

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.

Some of the flat plate stuff requires the back box to be 5mm behind the
plaster edge and use 35mm back boxes.

And two cables through the same knockout is also a ******* with some
sockets that are not flat plated.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
My wife had not forgiven me for not specifying brushed chrome sockets and
switches in the kinchen when it was extended'

She even said she would accept some as a Xmas present - fine by me and I
would enjoy fitting them.

Not the case. They were a very tight fit into the back boxes - making final
alignment improssible without moving the back box. The boxes were flush to
the wall face.

The space for the wires was very restricted - especially where there was a
spur off the ring.

2 hours and 6 sockets later and I now need some polyfilla and paint.

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.

Yes. I only ever fit deep boxes here. Including switches. If you don't
you'll near always regret it some time afterwards.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Well that will look like a cows **** when using brushed chrome sockets.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 14:11, ARW wrote:

Well that will look like a cows **** when using brushed chrome sockets.

A cattle farmer of my acquaintance got married. As we were fitting CCTV
in the cattle shed a few weeks later I asked him how the marriage was
working out. With a friendly slap on a nearby milker's back he said,
"Ohhh, she's alright! Big sloppy **** just like this lass!"

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 13:32, JohnP wrote:
My wife had not forgiven me for not specifying brushed chrome sockets and
switches in the kinchen when it was extended'

She even said she would accept some as a Xmas present - fine by me and I
would enjoy fitting them.

Not the case. They were a very tight fit into the back boxes - making final
alignment improssible without moving the back box. The boxes were flush to
the wall face.

The space for the wires was very restricted - especially where there was a
spur off the ring.

2 hours and 6 sockets later and I now need some polyfilla and paint.

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.

I had a similar problem. How about painting the white sockets silver? Is
your wife short-sighted?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 13:32, JohnP wrote:

My wife had not forgiven me for not specifying brushed chrome sockets and
switches in the kinchen when it was extended'

She even said she would accept some as a Xmas present - fine by me and I
would enjoy fitting them.

Not the case. They were a very tight fit into the back boxes - making final
alignment improssible without moving the back box. The boxes were flush to
the wall face.

You got the completely flat flush face style I guess then :-)

If so, yup they are *******s to fit. The spacers that go between the
faceplate and wall are sometimes very handy.

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.

It can be tight even in the 35mm ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 14:39, williamwright wrote:
[...]

Halfrauds sell 'chrome' aerosol paint. Actually quite good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Some of the flat plate stuff requires the back box to be 5mm behind the
plaster edge and use 35mm back boxes.

Interesting. Only ever used the TLC Knightsbridge range, and that seems to
fit a deep box OK.

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

Some of the flat plate stuff requires the back box to be 5mm behind
the plaster edge and use 35mm back boxes.

And two cables through the same knockout is also a ******* with some
sockets that are not flat plated.

Good info about the 5mm behind - that would have helped.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
.

Some of the flat plate stuff requires the back box to be 5mm behind
the plaster edge and use 35mm back boxes.

And two cables through the same knockout is also a ******* with some
sockets that are not flat plated.

Good info about the 5mm behind - that would have helped.

Wonder if it only applies to one gang types - where the box has both
vertical and horizontal fixing lugs?

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 14:56, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/12/2020 13:32, JohnP wrote:

My wife had not forgiven me for not specifying brushed chrome sockets and
switches in the kinchen when it was extended'

She even said she would accept some as a Xmas present - fine by me and I
would enjoy fitting them.

Not the case. They were a very tight fit into the back boxes - making
final
alignment improssible without moving the back box. The boxes were
flush to
the wall face.

You got the completely flat flush face style I guess then :-)

If so, yup they are *******s to fit. The spacers that go between the
faceplate and wall are sometimes very handy.

I have not forgiven the electricial for not fitting deeper boxes.

It can be tight even in the 35mm ones.

Been there got the tee shirt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 14:11, ARW wrote:

Well that will look like a cows **** when using brushed chrome sockets.

A cattle farmer of my acquaintance got married. As we were fitting CCTV
in the cattle shed a few weeks later I asked him how the marriage was
working out. With a friendly slap on a nearby milker's back he said,
"Ohhh, she's alright! Big sloppy **** just like this lass!"

Reminds me of the story of the cowboy who got married and on his wedding
night took all his clothes off and put them on a high shelf. When his
bride asked him why, he replied, "Well I ain't ever done it with a woman
before, but if it's anything like with a cow, this place is going to be
ass high in ****."

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
.

Some of the flat plate stuff requires the back box to be 5mm behind
the plaster edge and use 35mm back boxes.

And two cables through the same knockout is also a ******* with some
sockets that are not flat plated.

Good info about the 5mm behind - that would have helped.

Wonder if it only applies to one gang types - where the box has both
vertical and horizontal fixing lugs?

It applies to both 1g and 2g depending on the socket manufacturer. Some
do require the removal of the top and bottom lugs on 1g.

Trust me I have worked in enough new builds that have used 25mm 2g back
boxes and the new owner has bought new sockets that will not fit.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 14:38:01 +0000, williamwright wrote:

On 28/12/2020 14:11, ARW wrote:

Well that will look like a cows **** when using brushed chrome sockets.

A cattle farmer of my acquaintance got married. As we were fitting CCTV
in the cattle shed a few weeks later I asked him how the marriage was
working out. With a friendly slap on a nearby milker's back he said,
"Ohhh, she's alright! Big sloppy **** just like this lass!"

Bill

Many years ago a guy got caught interfering with a cow, and some wag put
an announcement in the local paper saying the parents of Daisy would like
to announce the engagement of their daughter to John Stokes.
signed Mr and Mrs Heffer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
JohnP wrote:
.

Some of the flat plate stuff requires the back box to be 5mm behind
the plaster edge and use 35mm back boxes.

And two cables through the same knockout is also a ******* with some
sockets that are not flat plated.

Good info about the 5mm behind - that would have helped.

Wonder if it only applies to one gang types - where the box has both
vertical and horizontal fixing lugs?

It applies to both 1g and 2g depending on the socket manufacturer. Some
do require the removal of the top and bottom lugs on 1g.

Trust me I have worked in enough new builds that have used 25mm 2g back
boxes and the new owner has bought new sockets that will not fit.

Oh, indeed. Was more interested in ones which won't fit a deep box.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find the box and cable concept quite poor and liable for misuse and
damage.

I would have thought we should have something like a box with terminations
fixed for the cables (Wago) and all new sockets to have an integral fly
lead to connect to the fixed (Wago) terminals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:

I find the box and cable concept quite poor and liable for misuse and
damage.

I would have thought we should have something like a box with
terminations fixed for the cables (Wago) and all new sockets to have an
integral fly lead to connect to the fixed (Wago) terminals.

Now explain how you could plaster that into a wall. Unless it was a lot
larger and with dedicated terminal areas. But even that would simply move
the problem elsewhere.

It is hardly rocket science to make a neat job of installing a socket. If
you can't, best not to DIY.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is hardly rocket science to make a neat job of installing a socket. If
you can't, best not to DIY.

Ohhhh get you !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 14:11, ARW wrote:

Well that will look like a cows **** when using brushed chrome sockets.

A cattle farmer of my acquaintance got married. As we were fitting CCTV
in the cattle shed a few weeks later I asked him how the marriage was
working out. With a friendly slap on a nearby milker's back he said,
"Ohhh, she's alright! Big sloppy **** just like this lass!"

Bill

Many years ago a guy got caught interfering with a cow, and some wag put
an announcement in the local paper saying the parents of Daisy would like
to announce the engagement of their daughter to John Stokes.
signed Mr and Mrs Heffer.

Years ago TV Licensing wrote to the cowbarn next door wanting to know
why they didn't have a TV licence. We had massive fun composing a reply.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
JohnP wrote:
.

Some of the flat plate stuff requires the back box to be 5mm behind
the plaster edge and use 35mm back boxes.

And two cables through the same knockout is also a ******* with some
sockets that are not flat plated.

Good info about the 5mm behind - that would have helped.

Wonder if it only applies to one gang types - where the box has both
vertical and horizontal fixing lugs?

It applies to both 1g and 2g depending on the socket manufacturer. Some
do require the removal of the top and bottom lugs on 1g.

Trust me I have worked in enough new builds that have used 25mm 2g back
boxes and the new owner has bought new sockets that will not fit.

Oh, indeed. Was more interested in ones which won't fit a deep box.

ISTR it was Crabtree flatplate.

If the 35mm box was not 5mm behind the plaster the lugs fouled the socket.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 14:11, ARW wrote:

Well that will look like a cows **** when using brushed chrome sockets.

A cattle farmer of my acquaintance got married. As we were fitting CCTV
in the cattle shed a few weeks later I asked him how the marriage was
working out. With a friendly slap on a nearby milker's back he said,
"Ohhh, she's alright! Big sloppy **** just like this lass!"

Bill

Many years ago a guy got caught interfering with a cow, and some wag put
an announcement in the local paper saying the parents of Daisy would like
to announce the engagement of their daughter to John Stokes.
signed Mr and Mrs Heffer.

Years ago TV Licensing wrote to the cowbarn next door wanting to know
why they didn't have a TV licence. We had massive fun composing a reply.

Cows are said to produce more milk if played music; what if a farmer
found that they liked to watch TV? Do non-humans require a TV licence?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/12/2020 14:11, ARW wrote:

[...]

Just buy them an Emmerdale DVD.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Max
Demian writes

On 28/12/2020 14:11, ARW wrote:

[...]

Cows are red/green colour blind.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 09:10, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Max
Demian writes
On 29/12/2020 18:54, williamwright wrote:

Years ago TV Licensing wrote to the cowbarn next door wanting to know
why they didn't have a TV licence. We had massive fun composing a reply.

Cows are said to produce more milk if played music; what if a farmer
found that they liked to watch TV? Do non-humans require a TV licence?

Cows are red/green colour blind.

B/w licences are still available at reduced cost.

--
Max Demian