Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Technically this is D-I-Y but of the self built computer kind.......

Right I want to take advantage of the January sales and want to build my
own computer.

I got a new 4K monitor for Chrimbo, and I can re-use mt current graphics
card which is an AMD Radeon R9 280X card. (I know the card does not
currently support WDR or WCG even though the monitor does)

I also got a new Cherry mouse, Cherry KB and wacom graphics tablet as
part of black friday deals.

I intend to re-use the tower case & PSU and have two brand new DVD
drives in the loft and the existing Samsung EVO SATA3 512GB SSD.

I already have a retail licence for Windows 10 professional and I now
have Office 365 and a soon to be installed gigabit fibre to the home.

All I need is a half decent motherboard such as supermicro, Asus or
gigabyte or ASRock...

at least 16 GB DDR4 ram (as 2 off 8 GB sticks)

An Intel or Ryzen processor

A Samsung EVO M2 SSD as the boot drive

my usual sources for PC parts a

Scan.co.uk
Ebuyer
DABS

Now who else are doing stonking good deals in the January sales?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/12/2020 20:28, No Name wrote:

my usual sources for PC parts a

Scan.co.uk
Ebuyer
DABS

Now who else are doing stonking good deals in the January sales?

Amazon should be on your list.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 20:28, No Name wrote:
Right I want to take advantage of the January sales and want to build my
own computer.

OK. But you haven't specified what you want to use it for!

Gaming or very high end AI you need a good graphics card but for
anything else the built in Pentium 2D graphics may actually be faster!

The right choice depends on the application programs you use.

Now who else are doing stonking good deals in the January sales?

Almost everybody - they are desperate to convert stock back into cash!
I have seen the same kit at +/-30%.

Annoyingly one of the things I was marking went up 30% in the sales

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No Name wrote:
Now who else are doing stonking good deals in the January sales?

Try:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

It covers many (but not all of) the major suppliers and lets you spec a build
that gives the cheapest vendor for each part, checking compatibility along
the way.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 22:12, Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/12/2020 20:28, No Name wrote:
Right I want to take advantage of the January sales and want to build
my own computer.

OK. But you haven't specified what you want to use it for!

Gaming or very high end AI you need a good graphics card but for
anything else the built in Pentium 2D graphics may actually be faster!

The right choice depends on the application programs you use.

Now who else are doing stonking good deals in the January sales?

Almost everybody - they are desperate to convert stock back into cash!
I have seen the same kit at +/-30%.

With IT kit there a massive shortages at the moment - so stuff is hard
to get and prices high.

I was ordering stuff to upgrad my "everyday" PC just before Christmas
and stuff was going out of stock almost as fast as I could get it into
the virtual trolley!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 22:12, Martin Brown wrote:

Annoyingly one of the things I was marking went up 30% in the sales

Yep, as I've posted before, 4 items I purchased on Amazon BEFORE the
black friday "sales" were cheaper than during the sales!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

'magine getting excited about a computer....sad
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

Beats clapped out yank tanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2020 07:54, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

I very much doubt that.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

GB wrote:

Amazon should be on your list.

At the bottom ?

No, that's reserved for Wish
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Novatech, Portsmouth ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 20:28, No Name wrote:
Now who else are doing stonking good deals in the January sales?

DIIK. But uk.comp.homebuilt is over there ----

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
No Name wrote:
[...]

I suppose it depends how old your peripherals are. I recently fitted a new
MB when changing to Win10 and found many wouldn't work with it.

Ebay is probably as good as any, and easy to compare prices.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.