Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Firefox annoyance

On 16/12/2020 12:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
Undoubtedly my fault but, in response to urging from Adobe, I
uninstalled Flash.

First downside noticed is a PHP notice from Firefox about a site I use
regularly (Movies airing on TV today..)

Works OK on Edge and Bing!

What's a PHP notice?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 December 2020 at 10:24:31 UTC, Muddymike wrote:

What's a PHP notice?

A message on screen saying that PHP ain't working.

I was getting that on tv24 for a day or so. On all browsers I tried. Now back to normal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

What's a PHP notice?

A message on screen saying that PHP ain't working.
I was getting that on tv24 for a day or so. On all browsers I tried. Now back to normal.

sounds like they had a server issue
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
polygonum_on_google writes
On Monday, 21 December 2020 at 10:24:31 UTC, Muddymike wrote:

What's a PHP notice?

A message on screen saying that PHP ain't working.

I was getting that on tv24 for a day or so. On all browsers I tried.
Now back to normal.

Back to normal here as well.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2020 10:49, Andy Burns wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

What's a PHP notice?

A message on screen saying that PHP ain't working.
I was getting that on tv24 for a day or so. On all browsers I tried.
Now back to normal.

sounds like they had a server issue

php is server side code and its bad coding if it pumps errors to the
screen.

Normally you do that only in development, after that they go to a log file

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

php is server side code and its bad coding if it pumps errors to the
screen.

It's also bad practice to make a phpinfo() page accessible to the world,
especially when it shows you're running an ancient version of PHP and
have iffy options like register_globals turned on ...

http://uky.edu/phpinfo.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2020 15:54, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

php is server side code and its bad coding if it pumps errors to the
screen.

It's also bad practice to make a phpinfo() page accessible to the world,
especially when it shows you're running an ancient version of PHP and
have iffy options like register_globals turned on ...

http://uky.edu/phpinfo.php

That is why whenever I do that use apache to map it into something weird
and unguessable. Yep I've got live phpinfo up there somewhere on my sites

No one has ever found it though

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2020 16:46, Tim Streater wrote:
On 21 Dec 2020 at 15:54:52 GMT, Andy Burns wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

php is server side code and its bad coding if it pumps errors to the
screen.

It's also bad practice to make a phpinfo() page accessible to the world,
especially when it shows you're running an ancient version of PHP and
have iffy options like register_globals turned on ...

Oops. That's *really* old.

I cant even remember what they are...Oh. automatic assigned of GET
variables. Well yes, its a bit - er - global.

But provided you initialise all the variables you are using internally,
then you cant use it to override internal variables.

I still use something deprecated - short tags and magic quotes I
think... simply because I always have, from when they were defaults.

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain