Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Electric Car Manufacturing

With almost every brand having an Electric Car on the market or coming
soon, it leads me to think, are there some generic designs of motor, and
controllers that these firms are all using (like Lotus used to design
Suspension for many brands).
Setting up an efficient motor production line from scratch would need some
advanced thinking - surely they are all buying into existing manufacturing
engineering.

Any thoughts as to who the big players are?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
With almost every brand having an Electric Car on the market or coming
soon, it leads me to think, are there some generic designs of motor, and
controllers that these firms are all using (like Lotus used to design
Suspension for many brands).

Don't think Lotus designed suspension systems or indeed complete engines.
They tended to fine tune existing designs as consultants to the makers.

Setting up an efficient motor production line from scratch would need
some advanced thinking - surely they are all buying into existing
manufacturing engineering.

Any thoughts as to who the big players are?

Wouldn't the same apply to cordless drills? Just about as many makers of
those as car makers.

IMHO, it's more likely to apply to the battery makers.

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2020 12:12, JohnP wrote:
With almost every brand having an Electric Car on the market or coming
soon, it leads me to think, are there some generic designs of motor, and
controllers that these firms are all using (like Lotus used to design
Suspension for many brands).
Setting up an efficient motor production line from scratch would need some
advanced thinking - surely they are all buying into existing manufacturing
engineering.

Any thoughts as to who the big players are?

GKN Power systems supply drive shafts and EV motor
systems to many car manufacturers.

https://www.gknautomotive.com/en/sys...drive-systems/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
With almost every brand having an Electric Car on the market or coming
soon, it leads me to think, are there some generic designs of motor, and
controllers that these firms are all using (like Lotus used to design
Suspension for many brands).
Setting up an efficient motor production line from scratch would need some
advanced thinking - surely they are all buying into existing manufacturing
engineering.

Any thoughts as to who the big players are?

Those are called "crate motors".

There are some for BEVs.

The big players don't use them.

GM put out an article a few months back,
where they showed pictures of their
"engineering fleet" of electric motors. And these
will be what eventually appears in their
vehicles. The things looked as ugly as a pile
of used GM transmissions.

VW has a few "common platforms" for its vehicles,
and the Volkwagon Microbus thing will use the same platform
as one of the existing cars. Just change the body on
top, retune suspension and so on. I hope they
don't forget to put a gasoline heater in the glove box.
Think how that will extend the battery range.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote in
:

https://www.gknautomotive.com/en/sys...ectric/Modular
-electric-drive-systems/

Very interesting - thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2020 12:12, JohnP wrote:
With almost every brand having an Electric Car on the market or coming
soon, it leads me to think, are there some generic designs of motor, and
controllers that these firms are all using (like Lotus used to design
Suspension for many brands).
Setting up an efficient motor production line from scratch would need some
advanced thinking - surely they are all buying into existing manufacturing
engineering.

Any thoughts as to who the big players are?

Actually the electric motors are VERY simple. I've made little ones for
model planes, so am sure a manufacture could, The winding of the coils
requires the sort of kit that winds any other leccy motor or alternator,
so probably manufacture is subbed out to firms with it

Its the design, especially of the electronics, where the magic lies.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

On 20/12/2020 12:12, JohnP wrote:
With almost every brand having an Electric Car on the market or
coming soon, it leads me to think, are there some generic designs of
motor, and controllers that these firms are all using (like Lotus
used to design Suspension for many brands).
Setting up an efficient motor production line from scratch would need
some advanced thinking - surely they are all buying into existing
manufacturing engineering.

Any thoughts as to who the big players are?

Actually the electric motors are VERY simple. I've made little ones
for model planes, so am sure a manufacture could, The winding of the
coils requires the sort of kit that winds any other leccy motor or
alternator, so probably manufacture is subbed out to firms with it

Its the design, especially of the electronics, where the magic lies.

I think car motors are in another league. Some use welded copper bars as
the field winding. Neobdinium magnets in armatures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2020 16:47, JohnP wrote:
[...]

Not really a huge difference - that's a fairly standard way to achieve
very high currents. and my motors had neodymium magnets in the rotors too.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."